Few weird quirks w settings...

Not everyplace uses DST and some change over on different dates, so no possible way for a simple machine to do that right for everyone. Some folks just use GMT/UTC and do the math since that time zone is consistent year round. I'll probably do that too as the change-over takes me at least 20 minutes to do all my cams and I'm getting tired of the hassle.

Phil
There's a few ways to auto correct for all just fine... for those it does affect. I'm just no app programmer.

But if little stuff like this gets glossed over, it's a box able offense in my book to shelve the unit.

The cameras something to play w for me, I don't actually need it. So my continued used is judge by Viofos ability to; Our bad, we're on it.

Last edited:
Some folks just use GMT/UTC and do the math since that time zone is consistent year round.
I do that, but only because I am in timezone zero. What I am actually doing is not using daylight savings time, but here it is much easier to describe that as "using GMT". As long as you know it is not using DST then it is always accurate, even at 1:30AM on the days that DST starts/stops, and the description "using GMT" also makes sense when you cross a timezone border every day on your commute to work and back.

There's a few ways to auto correct for all just fine... for those it does affect. I'm just no app programmer.
Not a programmer here either, but it's not as simple as you may think. In the more-or-less recent past a few States changed the date when they screwed with the clocks. GPS doesn't have that kind of signaling function and already-installed FW would be in error after that. There's at least 5 different days involved world-wide IIRC, and crossing a 'political border' like a US State line can go from DST to standard time as can national or time-zine borders. Cell phones have the capability since they always have some geo-location happening and a constant connection to a tower signal. Much the same for the internet. These have plenty of processor power and data space which dashcams less of, and dashcams lack that kind of real-time connectivity. You don't have to be a programmer to understand what things are capable of or how they work ;)

And it's not Viofo but ALL dashcams that are this way. There's a lot of things most of us would love for our cams to do but the universal SOC approach and costs keep those things from happening. Few of us would spend $1K or more to have that 'perfect' dashcam knowing that in a few years it will become at least somewhat obsolete as sensors and processors improve. What we get now isn't the best possible but a good dashcam is something almost anyone can afford to have and replace every few years as better comes along if we want to. If what you want to have isn't being made then your only real options are to wait till it happens or to make it yourself. At least for the foreseeable future automatic DST switching ain't going to happen with dashcams even if we wish it would.

Phil

Not a programmer here either, but it's not as simple as you may think.
If it was all done properly, then the camera would just use UTC, as mine does since I leave it on GMT+0, and the conversion from UTC time to displayed time would be done on display, so when playing on Dashcam Viewer, or on the mobile app, it would could give the local time for the place it is viewed in, or DST, or UTC, as configured in the device used to view it, and/or configured in the display app. Unfortunately it is not done that way, mainly because people like the time to be embedded in the video as part of the image, so it has to be converted live. This causes several problems, including the phone synchronising time incorrectly when the phone is set to DST and the camera set to standard time, even worse if you cross a border and your phone automatically adds an hour, then argues with the camera GPS time because the camera is now one timezone out - problems that would all be solved if the camera only used UTC!

Some of us will agree to disagree and that's fine. But I do appreciate all the well-thought-out replies. But while I might not be an app programmer, I do understand Electronics enough in the sense that this is possible provided it's actually thought out properly.

Some of us will agree to disagree and that's fine. But I do appreciate all the well-thought-out replies. But while I might not be an app programmer, I do understand Electronics enough in the sense that this is possible provided it's actually thought out properly.
Automatically displaying local time with DST correctly on any GPS device is not actually possible without an internet connection, since the governments of individual countries can and do occasionally change the rules on what time zones and DST to use, some countries like Australia even have half hour adjustments to timezones, and of course the timezone borders are not simple straight lines and also move occasionally, they can even have islands of one timezone within another timezone. Best to leave it to the display device, which quite likely does have an internet connection with access to the rules, or at least frequent updates... But that is not what the dashcam customers want!

Automatically displaying local time with DST correctly on any GPS device is not actually possible without an internet connection, since the governments of individual countries can and do occasionally change the rules on what time zones and DST to use, some countries like Australia even have half hour adjustments to timezones, and of course the timezone borders are not simple straight lines and also move occasionally, they can even have islands of one timezone within another timezone. Best to leave it to the display device, which quite likely does have an internet connection with access to the rules, or at least frequent updates... But that is not what the dashcam customers want!
Well, one way is a rebuild of the GPS for those that have them since a standard directional gps handles time updates just fine without internet. At least the few I've owned.

A lot cheaper than a rebuild of the entire system...

But at this point I would think most of us can agree there's better ways of handling the time situation. Regardless of how it's done compared to how it currently is done.

Last edited:
But even if no one at viofo decides to try to mess with the time thing regardless of the reason. The parking duration thing very much is a bug in and of itself that does need fixing.

I just took a look, well at the times in preview footage and recorded footage, and the clocks was the same, however i did not try to mess around with parking guard timer as i just glanced over that.
I did screen record the session on my phone, but i dont think there is a need to upload that.
I will take a look at that parking guard duration timer sticking or not tomorrow as i am going on my 2 weekly drive to do some shopping for my old mother.

I just took a look, well at the times in preview footage and recorded footage, and the clocks was the same, however i did not try to mess around with parking guard timer as i just glanced over that.
I did screen record the session on my phone, but i dont think there is a need to upload that.
I will take a look at that parking guard duration timer sticking or not tomorrow as i am going on my 2 weekly drive to do some shopping for my old mother.
No worries, was just curious if the parking guard for you, if set to 12 hr. Defaults to 3 like it does for me, was not saying you had to leave it. But ya, I guess depending where some people live, times an issue for some while others it's not.

But I'm happy tech speaking with the cam right now, sans the weird time thing for me. Parking guard, not so much an issue as I use 8 hr just fine. But had to note it as a bug as well, since when set to say 12 it defaults to 3. There's a few others that do weird switches as well, but not too inclined to do a comprehensive breakdown.

Good for you helping your elderly mom, I have mine I help care for as well. But health wise shes quite healthy. It's just the getting around for her that's an issue.

1) Even w GMT -4 set, the time code displays right on live feed. However is still recording w a +1 as if DST was still in effe
Could it be your phone putting it 1 hour out when you run the app and it does a time sync ? Is the default time zone on the phone also-4?

1) Even w GMT -4 set, the time code displays right on live feed. However is still recording w a +1 as if DST was still in effect.
I suppose the current time zone shall be set to GMT-5 for Pennsylvania.

2) Parking mode timer, not all settings stick. Not doing an entire comprehensive list. But basically, some times adhere, but if I set say 12 hr, it goes to 3. But if I set 8 it sticks.
Please try to update the app version to the newest 3.2.1.

I suppose the current time zone shall be set to GMT-5 for Pennsylvania.

Please try to update the app version to the newest 3.2.1.
1) That in theory would fix the recorded time stamp but now affect live... and that's a bandaid more than a solution, it tech fixes nothing. But your supposing is wrong... tech speaking.

2) Will try that in a few hrs.

We made a beta app to fix the problem of the settings not being preserved. I can direct message you the app if you'd like to try it.
While I appreciate that, in terms of fixing at least one of the two things. I would prefer to wait until it's officially released on the Google Play store which I don't mind doing. But I am curious though did you guys just fix that bug or did you add more settings because it seems weird to also jump from 8 hours to 12 hours etc.

I'm surprised you didn't opt for a 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 kind of thing... if that makes sense.

But I'll wait for the apk to be officially released on Google play... ty.

For now I'm off to watch some Doctor Who.

For everything done publicly and privately to help me these past 2 weeks. I just wanted to say...

Xièxiè nǐ

But the time thing still needs to be figured out better.

Sir, can you please share with us two pictures that show the time stamp problem? Thanks in advance!

Back