FIREFLY 6S

so they've probably miniaturized that and crammed it into a $128 camera I guess, along with the real 4k video etc, quite a feat really when you think about it :cool:
At that price you could not possibly have a mechanical gyroscope to provide optical stabilisation. It will simply be a gyro sensor with correction done in firmware.

The reason that it is called gyro stabilisation and not just image stabilisation is that it uses a sensor capable of detecting rotation instead of just g-force - ie a gyro sensor. It can then perform 5/6 axis image stabilisation instead of just 3 axis which is normally just called image stabilisation and doesn't correct rotations.

The system on the M10+ (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sjcam-m10-plus-2k-action-camera-owners-thread.14185/) does work quite well, even providing a reasonably smooth image while running. For in-car use it is unnecessary and on the M10+ doesn't actually remove higher frequency vibrations which is what you are most likely to want to remove in a car. It also provides no reduction in motion blur which a mechanical system can and so optical image or gyro stabilisation as found on larger cameras where the lens or sensor is mechanically stabilised is always going to be preferable.

Patent US 5438361 A - Electronic gimbal system for electronically aligning video frames from a video sensor subject to disturbances

Highes Aircraft 1995 - Guy B. Coleman, inventor

Abstract:

This invention is directed to an electronic gimbal system (10) which stabilizes a digital video image of a particular scene taken by a sensor which is under disturbance forces. The video image is stored as a two-dimensional array of pixel locations (12) and is applied to an address look-up calculator (14) along with a signal from an inertial sensor (16). The inertial sensor (16) determines the offset of the array of pixel locations from an inertial reference frame and adjusts the input array accordingly. In one particular implementation, the address look-up calculator (14) applies a bilinear interpolation to the pixel location in order to provide a weighted sum of pixel intensities for each offset pixel location.

Patent US 5438361 A - Electronic gimbal system for electronically aligning video frames from a video sensor subject to disturbances

Highes Aircraft 1995 - Guy B. Coleman, inventor

Abstract:

This invention is directed to an electronic gimbal system (10) which stabilizes a digital video image of a particular scene taken by a sensor which is under disturbance forces. The video image is stored as a two-dimensional array of pixel locations (12) and is applied to an address look-up calculator (14) along with a signal from an inertial sensor (16). The inertial sensor (16) determines the offset of the array of pixel locations from an inertial reference frame and adjusts the input array accordingly. In one particular implementation, the address look-up calculator (14) applies a bilinear interpolation to the pixel location in order to provide a weighted sum of pixel intensities for each offset pixel location.

had never read up on the patent but it explains how I figured it was being done and explains the cropped result

Sony Dslr cameras use electronic image stabilization for video and sensor shift stabilization for still photos(They used to use sensor shift stabilization for videos before but it caused the camera to overheat)

Sony Dslr cameras use electronic image stabilization for video and sensor shift stabilization for still photos(They used to use sensor shift stabilization for videos before but it caused the camera to overheat)

I imagine it's a lot more work for the processor

To me what I like least is that the stabilizer trims the field of view

Back