Firmware doesn't update.

AgentSmith007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo, A119 V1/2/3
Hi,

I have V2.54 OHT-MF H firmware in my F900LHD. I am trying to update to the newer firmware but it just doesn't do it. I downloaded newer firmware and followed directions from this page: http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f900lhd/#Fir ... structions
What am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Firmwre doesn't update.

Hi MozartMan,

Can you create a text file called autoexec.ash with the following 3 lines of text in it to back up your existing firmware.

rm a:\autoexec.ash
firmfl gen 5 bst bld pri rom dsp d:\backup.bin
rm d:\autoexec.ash

EDIT: A line feed must be included at the bottom of the file, making it 4 lines long

Copy the autoexec.ash file to the root directory on a blank SD card. The autoexec.ash file should be the only file in the root directory. When turning the camera on the first time, wait a few minutes. Turn it off and check the card for a backup.bin file. This is a backup of your current firmware. If nothing happens, turn off and repeat again. The first time the camera may be writing the DCIM directory.

If this works, you can update the file using the following commands in a new autoexec.ash file.

rm a:\autoexec.ash
firmfl prog d:\firmware.bin >> d:\flashlog.txt
rm d:\autoexec.ash
rm d:\firmware.bin

This time copy the autoexec.ash file and the firmware.bin file (need to rename the desired firmware to firmware.bin) to the root directory on a blank SD card. On the SD card there should only be 2 files in the root directory. The firmware.bin file and the autoexec.ash file. When turning the camera on the first time, wait a few minutes. If nothing happens, turn off and repeat again. The first time the camera may be writing the DCIM directory.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan,

I was able to backup current firmware, and only using this line in autoexec.ash file:

But somehow it doesn't want to update to the new firmware.

Gremlins :(

MozartMan said:
DashCamMan,

I was able to backup current firmware, and only using this line in autoexec.ash file:

But somehow it doesn't want to update to the new firmware.

Gremlins :(

If you were able to backup with the command above, there are a few things we know. Your camera is accepting ambarella shell commands. firmfl is the command used to manage firmware.
gen generates a copy of the firmware and places it on the SD card (d drive) naming it backup.bin.

Hence the camera should be able to process the firmfl prog command which programs the firmware. Create an autoexec.ash file with the following command.

firmfl prog d:\firmware.bin

EDIT: A line feed must be included at the bottom of the file, making it 2 lines long

and rename the firmware file to firmware.bin, place both on the SD card and try to update. Try a few times because sometimes it doesn't "catch" the first time. When renaming the files to firmware.bin make sure you can see the extension in Windows. It may have been renamed firmware.bin.bin by accident.

If that doesn't work try another filename (yamaha.bin, backup.bin, vfirmware.bin). Make sure you change the .bin filename and the name in the autoexec.ash file.

A different SD card sometimes makes a difference as well.

Dash Cam Man

Dash Cam Man,

I tried this last command code that you wrote - firmfl prog d:\xxxxxxxx.bin
using all four file names one at a time - firmware.bin, yamaha.bin, backup.bin, vfirmware.bin
and it didn't update firmware.

If update doesn't work I can live with original firmware. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

MozartMan

Hi MozartMan,

Sometimes these cameras are finicky. Your camera seems to be working well and your firmware is not that old so I think you will be fine keeping it as is. Enjoy your dash cam!

Dash Cam Man

I don't know why but i can't backup my gs5000 firmware, this ASH file just don't work. I don't know is it some kind of windows coding issue, i have made with notepad a new file, i have used that one i downloaded here, but no result.
I have no other reason to do this but curiosity, so no real harm is done.

Sabe said:
I don't know why but i can't backup my gs5000 firmware, this ASH file just don't work. I don't know is it some kind of windows coding issue, i have made with notepad a new file, i have used that one i downloaded here, but no result.
I have no other reason to do this but curiosity, so no real harm is done.

The new blue menu GS1000/GS5000's running firmware v2.0.4 are more difficult to deal with. I am not aware of anyone being able to extract the firmware with the standard methods (ash file or directusb). The one firmware that is available was provided by a vendor, likely from the manufacturer. Perhaps the manufacturers don't want the users to mess around with the firmware anymore. :x

Dash Cam Man

I was having exactly the same issues as the OP when I was trying to upgrade the firmware on my genuine DOD F900LHD, it wouldn't update the firmware but it would dump the old one. I had tried all the different file names for the firmware file in the root of the SD card with no luck. It turns out to be the formatting in the autoexec.ash file.

I managed to track this Russian page down on a forum and follow their guide using their files and it worked. Updated to 2.97 I got off your page (seems to work so far but the LCD image seems to have scanlines).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... cEE&gid=12

From that link, translate it to English using google Chrome web browser and download the archive from http://f500-faq.narod2.ru/firmware/F500 ... s_v2_4.zip

In the archive, copy the file update/autoexec.ash to your formatted SD card along with your new fimeware file from here http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f900lhd/, renamed to firmware.bin

Put the SD card into the camera and turn the camera on. Wait 1 minute, turn the camera off. It'll now be updated.

The only difference I could find was that their autoexec file had an extra line feed at the bottom of the file? Other than that this one worked for me when no other method would.

auscam said:
I was having exactly the same issues as the OP when I was trying to upgrade the firmware on my genuine DOD F900LHD, it wouldn't update the firmware but it would dump the old one. I had tried all the different file names for the firmware file in the root of the SD card with no luck. It turns out to be the formatting in the autoexec.ash file.

I managed to track this Russian page down on a forum and follow their guide using their files and it worked. Updated to 2.97 I got off your page (seems to work so far but the LCD image seems to have scanlines).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... cEE&gid=12

From that link, translate it to English using google Chrome web browser and download the archive from http://f500-faq.narod2.ru/firmware/F500 ... s_v2_4.zip

In the archive, copy the file update/autoexec.ash to your formatted SD card along with your new fimeware file from here http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f900lhd/, renamed to firmware.bin

Put the SD card into the camera and turn the camera on. Wait 1 minute, turn the camera off. It'll now be updated.

The only difference I could find was that their autoexec file had an extra line feed at the bottom of the file? Other than that this one worked for me when no other method would.

Thanks auscam and welcome to the site. The Russian sites have the best information. I have spent a lot of time there when researching. I did not even notice the extra line feed at the bottom of the file. Great find. I am planning to go through the main site and update all the autoexec files.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks auscam for information. I was able to update firmware on my F900LHD to 2.75.
I don't know what else changed, but this new firmware changed start up and shot down images. I think it also added Russian language. So, I switched to Russian language to see how menu looks. Menu was translated very good. Then I switched back to English.

MozartMan

Back