Firmware Source Code

Mihir

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is the source code available for us to see? Is it open source or can it be made open source?

It would be really handy if we can make our own tweaks if we want to. :)

Thanks,
Mihir

it's not open source

Thanks for your quick reply.

I appreciate that it is not open source. Are there any plans of making it open source? Is there anyway to join the community or help with the coding?

Which programming language are you using any what microprocessor?

Is there any beta-testing membership for any future developments?

Source code belongs to the chipset manufacturer, I suspect they won't ever open source it
Doesn't that depend whether the code reuses licensed open source code that obliges them to make it available (e.g. GPL variants)? If they are obliged by the licensing, but don't, then this can be brought to their attention so they can do the right thing. Under certain circumstances they can be impelled to do so. Its been a while now since I was more familiar with this area, but I believe there are asked of companies that have open sourced code, they initially preferred not to.

I've a JooVuu X dashcam and it seems to be running a Linux-based system with component code that is recognisable open source code, but the manufacturer (Ambarella) hasn't, yet, open sourced at all afaict.

https://www.ambarella.com/products/automotive-cameras

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Doesn't that depend whether the code reuses licensed open source code that obliges them to make it available (e.g. GPL variants)? If they are obliged by the licensing, but don't, then this can be brought to their attention so they can do the right thing. Under certain circumstances they can be impelled to do so. Its been a while now since I was more familiar with this area, but I believe there are asked of companies that have open sourced code, they initially preferred not to.

that's something you'd need to ask the chipset manufacturer

that's something you'd need to ask the chipset manufacturer

Manufacturer chipset (Novatek) provides you API to connect. You have you own UI built using that API or SDK. So we are asking for you UI source code that you have written for mini 0906. The source code of the firmware.

@Rayman.Chan if you can shed any light on this please?

Manufacturer chipset (Novatek) provides you API to connect. You have you own UI built using that API or SDK.

chipset manufacturer supplies the SDK, from the purchase agreement we are not permitted to share it with others

chipset manufacturer supplies the SDK, from the purchase agreement we are not permitted to share it with others

I am not asking for chipset manufacturer SDK, I am asking for you UI code which runs commands on this SDK.

No need to ask me, 0906 is not my product

Sorry mate, I am not asking you in particular. I am generally asking if anyone knows. Unless you can direct me to the person who owns/built/coded 0906?

Manufacturer chipset (Novatek) provides you API to connect. You have you own UI built using that API or SDK. So we are asking for you UI source code that you have written for mini 0906. The source code of the firmware.
@Rayman.Chan if you can shed any light on this please?

There is NDA of the SDKs from both Ambarella and Novatek. (not sure about other un-touched chipsets)
Even the UI API, that is also licensed for modification.
Although Novatek SDK is much more simple than Ambarella, it is still huge complex for a software engineer in different area.

UIcode.jpg

There is NDA of the SDKs from both Ambarella and Novatek. (not sure about other un-touched chipsets)
Even the UI API, that is also licensed for modification.
Although Novatek SDK is much more simple than Ambarella, it is still huge complex for a software engineer in different area.

View attachment 35949

Thanks for your reply @Rayman.Chan. So does that mean you cannot share the code for UI either?

How about sending commands via the micro USB port? So potentially writing iOS/Android app or just some web app to send commands to the Camera? It would be really helpful as you can see the similar UI but on bigger screen and not having to detach the camera every time you want to tweak a setting or two.

if you are using a Android Nav, you can install APP on it and connect to WiFi camera through RTSP protocol.
Then you can live view the image and adjust setting.
for most camera hardwire design, there is UART port for debug / send command, not USB port.

Back