Firmware update broke the cam... :(

Phil_Mason

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Glad I found this forum. I am on my second 622GW, the first one returned as the sound would not work. Anyhow, got the new one today, and all was well. Sound, camera, etc etc.

So as per instructions, I updated the firmware (NBDVR622GWA-R10.5.zip) from the official site. I installed as per the instructions, all seemed well. Except when I go to the camera mode now the camera freezes after 4 seconds. Also, again, the system sounds have gone? I can't get into settings, or anything.

I have formatted the SD card using a PC (ExFAT32). The SD card is fast enough (was before the update). I cannot connect to the cam using the Nextbase software. I have also updated the firmware 3 x just in case it corrupted.

The cam only freezes in camera mode (i.e. POWER ON when connected to the PC). Freezes with or without the PC connection, and with/without the SIM card being installed.

Any ideas? Or is it another Amazon return!!!

Make sure the camera has sufficient battery power.... might need to leave on charge for an hour or so before doing the firmware update. (I think it's because the camera chews up power when the LCD is on)

As a followup - just successfully updated from 10.5 to 11.1. I had to leave the camera to charge for about 10mins first, otherwise the firmware files would not transfer.

edit: would be nice to see what changes have been implemented between 10.5 and 11.1. Nextbase did promise to be more forthcoming, like politicians.....

Last edited:
Last time I looked Nextbase hadn't been here since early Sep.

Last time I looked Nextbase hadn't been here since early Sep.
Last seen sept 12 2022, Yep, wonder if Millie has left and they're trying to get someone new or they have just given up on the customer service on here. Honestly wouln't be too surprised

Thanks all :)

I am now not sure what to do (I have been refunded). I hate the idea that a firmware update can do this twice. May look at other models. Now, to get that bl**dy adhesive off my windscreen!!!!

Make sure the camera has sufficient battery power.... might need to leave on charge for an hour or so before doing the firmware update. (I think it's because the camera chews up power when the LCD is on)
I charged for 2 Hrs before updating...

The best way to update any firmware is always to put the firmware file on a formatted card, plug the dashcam into a mobile phone wall charger, then power up the dashcam.

Often, PC USB ports only push out a low amperage which is sometimes insufficient

As a followup - just successfully updated from 10.5 to 11.1. I had to leave the camera to charge for about 10mins first, otherwise the firmware files would not transfer.

edit: would be nice to see what changes have been implemented between 10.5 and 11.1. Nextbase did promise to be more forthcoming, like politicians.....
Hi,
Apologies for the delay, we've had some issues accessing our account.
Change log from R10.5 to R11.1>
Adds new hardware compatibility
Improves UI on PC Connection page
Adds +13 time zone

Hi

Glad I found this forum. I am on my second 622GW, the first one returned as the sound would not work. Anyhow, got the new one today, and all was well. Sound, camera, etc etc.

So as per instructions, I updated the firmware (NBDVR622GWA-R10.5.zip) from the official site. I installed as per the instructions, all seemed well. Except when I go to the camera mode now the camera freezes after 4 seconds. Also, again, the system sounds have gone? I can't get into settings, or anything.

I have formatted the SD card using a PC (ExFAT32). The SD card is fast enough (was before the update). I cannot connect to the cam using the Nextbase software. I have also updated the firmware 3 x just in case it corrupted.

The cam only freezes in camera mode (i.e. POWER ON when connected to the PC). Freezes with or without the PC connection, and with/without the SIM card being installed.

Any ideas? Or is it another Amazon return!!!
What brand, size and class of SD card were you using please? If the SD card is freezing it could indicate that the card is not compatible.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back