Firmware updates - where do we go to get them?

jwc

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
X6, two G1Ws
Just curious, I searched for a thread here and found nothing.
Do manufacturers provide a URL in the 'Instructions'?

J

What model cam do you have?

If you are asking in terms of the G1W I don't believe there have been any updates released for it. A member here was able to flash firmware from a GT300W, but it is risky and not officially supported.
I don't have any experience with an X6 so I can't help you there.

Just curious, I searched for a thread here and found nothing.
Do manufacturers provide a URL in the 'Instructions'?

J

DashCam manufactures don't all follow some kind of standard or anything. Some provide support and download links on their web site and some don't even have a web site. The cheaper cams usually want you to contact your reseller for support including firmware updates. If you bought from eBay seller E-PRANCE for example you would send them a message asking for a new firmware. Some resellers are good at responding and some will ignore your questions all together. So again it all depends who you buy from and which product. That's why it's best to research on here first before you buy anything you're not sure about until it's too late and you're stuck with something you're not happy with.

Reactions: jwc
Thanks guys, I was just being curious.

The X6 is working OK and I'm waiting for the G1W.
I'd seen others asking "which FW do you have..?" and wondered, if someone had 'old' FW, how would they get updated to 'new' FW. (see the
G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR thread

I think that I understand that, for a specific camera model #, new FW may be related to/required for hardware changes and would therefore be inappropriate for the same model # that has older hardware, i.e. that 'bricking' could occur .

Hopefully I'll get a perfect G1W and won't need to do this.

J

Last edited:
Back