First time buyer. Looking for advice

savatage6868

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've read through a bunch of threads trying to find an answer to my questions before posting but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Looking for a front facing dash cam, 1080P/30-60fps, good motion sensor, good night vision, somewhat discrete. That much I can figure out but I want to run this strictly off two power banks that will be charged one at a time from home/work. I do not want to hardwire or run from car charger. I want it stay powered 24+ hours at a time from a single charge. I'm looking for advice on what cam/powerbank(s) would work well together. I will probably mount the camera high and tuck the battery into the passenger sun visor.

If this is possible can someone please give me some direction? It would be much appreciated :)

Looking for a front facing dash cam, 1080P/30-60fps, good motion sensor, good night vision, somewhat discrete

That pretty much describes the SG9665GC......

I should add that SG is working on some new products/features. There have been hints that WiFi capability might be an option soon on some of their models.

winter isn't the issue, summer is, running cameras for 24 hours in summer is the challenge, heat is an issue
I'll clarify a bit. During the summer at work I'll probably not have it running. It would be for daily travel and being able to leave it on over night. The battery life is just so I can can swap and charge each day but it running for a full 24 hours would be the exception rather than the rule

I'll clarify a bit. During the summer at work I'll probably not have it running. It would be for daily travel and being able to leave it on over night. The battery life is just so I can can swap and charge each day but it running for a full 24 hours would be the exception rather than the rule

if not running it during the day when parked up is ok, that can get too hot for any camera really, for night use you'll find motion detect can be hit and miss unless the area is well lit

if not running it during the day when parked up is ok, that can get too hot for any camera really, for night use you'll find motion detect can be hit and miss unless the area is well lit
so what kid of battery setup should I run with that model?

you can run most cameras off decent USB power banks if you want, there are people that do that already

So jokiin, what size of a USB power bank do you think it would take to run the GC for 12 hours?

not sure, no so sure that power banks are all created equally so hard to say what size you should look for, there is a battery section here, maybe have a look through at what some others are using, I think the Anker batteries are popular, I've got some Xiaomi batteries which some people like, they're not that great in my experience though so I'd probably suggest staying away from those

not sure, no so sure that power banks are all created equally so hard to say what size you should look for, there is a battery section here, maybe have a look through at what some others are using, I think the Anker batteries are popular, I've got some Xiaomi batteries which some people like, they're not that great in my experience though so I'd probably suggest staying away from those
Ok I'll look around some more. Thanks for your help :)

Get a power doctor ( USB current meter )
Plug it into the cam in the car and see what the average current draw is ..
Motion detect ( ?? )
Buy a cam that can take a 128Gig card , should be large enough storage for a night of recording ...
Might want a cam with time laps ..

Powerbanks , yeah , just work out your power draw ...
Here is an idea !!!!
Plug a 5v power adapter directly to the car battery , but you would want to run the car everyday , can a cam run down a car battery (?)

Looking for a front facing dash cam, 1080P/30-60fps, good motion sensor, good night vision, somewhat discrete. That much I can figure out but I want to run this strictly off two power banks that will be charged one at a time from home/work. I do not want to hardwire or run from car charger

Welcome to DCT. I use power banks to run my SGZC12RC when parked. My Anker 15600mAh gives over 20 hours. SGZC12RC has excellent pre-buffered motion sensing, Sony IMX322 sensor for good night vision (some street lighting necessary for motion detection), & is very small / discreet. Note that it doesn't offer 1080p/60fps.

image.jpg

Welcome to DCT. I use power banks to run my SGZC12RC when parked. My Anker 15600mAh gives over 20 hours. SGZC12RC has excellent pre-buffered motion sensing, Sony IMX322 sensor for good night vision (some street lighting necessary for motion detection), & is very small / discreet. Note that it doesn't offer 1080p/60fps.

View attachment 21025
I thought I was going to have to get two 50000mAh PB so I'm happy you're getting that kind of life from yours. I'll probably still grab 20000 to be safe. I'll check out your cam. These connect on a simple micro USB, correct? Thanks for your help. I'm coming at this as a complete novice ;)

Back