First time buyer

spanglem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Ford F150 and I want a dash cam. I think I want a 3 channel. It needs to record sound. I want something that has cloud storage and an app so I can access the camera when I want to. It has to have parking mode. I also want something that is not made in China. I know that narrows the field. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I think you are asking for too much there!

What do you think cloud storage is going to give you? Expecting 24/7, 3 channel, high quality video to be stored in the cloud with a live feed is unrealistic.

Why do you want it made outside of China? They make some of the best.

What views do you want the 3 channels to cover?

Recording sound is easy, nearly all do that, some do it quite well.

I have a Ford F150 and I want a dash cam. I think I want a 3 channel. It needs to record sound. I want something that has cloud storage and an app so I can access the camera when I want to. It has to have parking mode. I also want something that is not made in China. I know that narrows the field. Any suggestions are appreciated.
From what you described, you should be looking at either Blackvue or Thinkware dashcams.

I went through the same decision recently and ended up buying Blackvue. My understanding is they have a better phone app, better cloud features and better customer support.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your new dashcam.

I think you are asking for too much there!

What do you think cloud storage is going to give you? Expecting 24/7, 3 channel, high quality video to be stored in the cloud with a live feed is unrealistic.

Why do you want it made outside of China? They make some of the best.

What views do you want the 3 channels to cover?

Recording sound is easy, nearly all do that, some do it quite well.

I just want to make sure if something happens I have the video saved and I figured if it were backed up to a cloud service I would be covered either way. Is that unrealistic? Is there a better way. I want to cover front, rear and inside, do I need all that?

It looks like that you are not using iPhone, iPad, etc. Those Apple products are all from China.

I just want to make sure if something happens I have the video saved and I figured if it were backed up to a cloud service I would be covered either way. Is that unrealistic? Is there a better way. I want to cover front, rear and inside, do I need all that?
The 3 channel dashcams seem to be more suited for Uber drivers and the like if something happens inside their car, although I'm sure some people who are not paid drivers decide they want interior coverage as well.

And you are not at all being unrealistic about your desire for cloud features with your dashcam. There are many good reasons for using the cloud. One good reason for using cloud features is that if something happens to your car and someone physically removes your dashcam and sd card, you could have the video saved on the cloud.

However, one would not want to automatically backup everything recorded on the dashcam to the cloud. Data consumption and costs would be too much.

If you had a serious impact (g-sensor triggered event) you would want that "automatically saved to the cloud". And both of the manufacturers I mentioned above will do that for you.

Another great reason for having the use of cloud features is if anything happens to your car while parked, you will receive a push-notification on your phone immediately. You won't have to wait until you go out to your car hours later or the next morning.

And another good feature with the cloud is you would be able to view "live coverage" remotely of what's happening at your car at any moment from anywhere by using your phone or computer.

In addition to buying a dashcam with cloud features, it is "very important" to buy from a company that offers "good customer support". Unfortunately, it seems like most dashcam companies do not provide adequate support. And believe me, at some point, you will need support! - Good luck!

Last edited:
I just want to make sure if something happens I have the video saved and I figured if it were backed up to a cloud service I would be covered either way. Is that unrealistic? Is there a better way.
That sounds reasonable, although at the moment none of the cloud dashcams provide great quality video from the cloud, and aren't very good at making sure it is there when you need it, which almost nobody ever does! As above, look at Blackvue and Thinkware for cloud functionality.

Is there a better way. I want to cover front, rear and inside, do I need all that?
The more channels you have the better the recorded evidence. Generally just a front is sufficient, but it is nice to have the others.
For 3 channel dashcams, if you decide you don't need the cloud functionality then take a look at Viofo with their T130 and A139

A dashcam is not necessary, you have insurance, and you can't replace your insurance by a dashcam. Dashcam video does make things much easier when you need to use your insurance, and can avoid false claims on your insurance. It is not about "need", it is just an investment in additional insurance to make life easier and less stressful. Unless you like making road movies, in which case you definitely "need" a camera with great image and sound quality.

I think the VANTRUE N4 3channel dash cam may be a good choice

I think the VANTRUE N4 3channel dash cam may be a good choice
Do you own this camera?

Which specified needs of the original poster does it meet? No wifi, no cloud, mediocre video... how's their support?

I'm just giving my advice, You don't seem to want to see other people recommend products from other brands
Do you own this camera?

Which specified needs of the original poster does it meet? No wifi, no cloud, mediocre video... how's their support?

No, not at all. People recommend many brands on this forum every day.

I read the original post where the person said he "specifically is interested in cloud features". And then you seem to be recommending a model dashcam that has "no cloud features". It made me wonder why you'd recommend a model that did not have the main feature the original poster was interested in.

I assumed you might come back here and tell us exactly why you felt the model of dashcam you recommended met the original posters needs, but that never happened. - Perhaps you're saving that for a future post.

Well, But his first requirement is 3 channels, so I don't think there is a problem with my recommendation. As for other functions, I think he will have his own judgment
No, not at all. People recommend many brands on this forum every day.

I read the original post where the person said he "specifically is interested in cloud features". And then you seem to be recommending a model dashcam that has "no cloud features". It made me wonder why you'd recommend a model that did not have the main feature the original poster was interested in.

I assumed you might come back here and tell us exactly why you felt the model of dashcam you recommended met the original posters needs, but that never happened. - Perhaps you're saving that for a future post.

Back