ZigDaPig

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dashcam - A129 Duo
Hardwire kit - HK3
Car - Ford fiesta 2010

Hi All,

I am looking for some guidance on installing my dash-cam so I have some questions.

1. Does it matter what size fuse goes into tap location? e.g My first choice for ACC would be 20A Cigar lighter fuse. Do I have to match the 20A or can the tap fuse be a 15A or lower?
  2. Can I get some recommendations for the correct Battery fuse that's not critical to the functions of the vehicle?

Ty
20230815_115359.jpg20230815_122937.jpg20230815_122945.jpg
Thanks

Do you want to wire your dashcam to be powered when vehicle is on? If so, #13 Cigar lighter should do, as long as it turns off with the car.

Second, you should have add-a-fuse purchased with the hardwire kit. It essentially creates a parallel circuit on which you tap into, along with another fuse to protect your dashcam. something like a 5amp

I want the dashcam to work in parking mode, so I need a fuse that always has power as well as the 20A cigar for when the car is running.
I didn't get a fuse with the hard-wire kit, the fuse tap kit I am looking to buy comes with a 15A fuse.

Personally I would check out all the unused fuse slots with a multimeter. Hopefully one turns on and off with your car while another is always hot and connected to the battery even while parked. Then you can tap into those two slots without messing with any of your existing fuses.

If all the unused slots are of one type or another, then you can check out the existing slots and add into there. For those I like to prioritize something not safety related, just in case something happens to get unplugged by accident. For example, I'd much rather tap into the rear wiper fuse or cigar lighter over the airbag module.

As far as fuse sizes, something like 2-3A for the dashcam should be plenty. No need to match the existing fuse. You leave the existing electronics tied to the existing fuse and then use whatever fuse size you need for the dashcam. They will operate independently even when installed side-by-side.

Thanks for the help Otto and vortex. I tested the fuses with a multi-meter and it looks like Audio system (12) and Cigar (13) are always on.
I am going to use Cigar Lighter (13) for BATT and Back wiper (24) for ACC.

Back