2011 Ford Fiesta Hardwire

Barrybados

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F200Pro, Viofo A119
Hi all, I am looking at hardwiring the wifes` Viofo A119 to her 2011 Ford Fiesta to just come on when ignition turned on and off when ignition off..

The only issue I am looking for help on is which fuse should I use to piggyback off with a fuse tap.. Looking at the fuses two seem a possibility namely the washer pump fuse (15amp) or the rear windscreen wiper fuse (15amp), however this fuse seems to also control the BCM which I read is the Body Control Module... does anyone have any thoughts on these two fuse slots or any other suggestions please.. Thank you in advance....

Do you have a multimeter? I used one to see which fuses turned off when the car turned off.

Washer pump is a good bet.

If unsure, as above, you need a multimeter.

That will also help identify which fuses stay live during starter motor cranking, most don't.

Thank you both for your advice, yes I do have a multi-meter and I will go with the water pump fuse as recommended..

The thing you have to watch is the starter motor crank as I posted above.

As you will know, most ignitions have 3 stages :

Accessory position 1
Ignition position 2
Start position 3 (sprung loaded)

I've seen many instances where the wrong fuse has been used and the error sequence is :

Ignition position 1 detected so the dashcam starts to boot
Ignition key then goes through position 2 into position 3
At position 3, starter motor is cranking and power is lost to other circuits.

At this time the dash cam, having started to boot, now sees no power so starts to shutdown.

During shutdown, that can take a few seconds, power is restored but the dashcam fails to recognise this so stays off.

Thank you Kremmen, interesting...what fuse have you/would you have used if you hardwired your dashcam given your comment?

I've had a series of Hondas which supply a dedicated 'Option Connector' port that supplies constant power so I've never investigated.

Back