format issue

unpaidbill

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I try to play a video on my computer, it says the card isn't formatted correctly. I formatted it in the cam. If I format it on the computer, the cam says it's not formatted correctly and wants to format it. The disc is a SanDisc Ultra 64gb. What's going on?

Try a different card. SanDisk is notorious for not working well in dash cams.

I'll try a Samsung card. It should be here in a couple of days. It looks like if I hook the cam up to the computer with a USB cable, the video will play.

Sometimes Windows can read formats on external USB drives that it can't read if they are plugged in directly.

Have you tried FAT32-Formatter or something similar?
The one I'm using seems to go under several names (FAT32-Formatter FAT32-Format GUIFormat), but comes from Ridgecrop Consultants.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm

One thing I dislike about it is it would be easy to format the wrong drive if you rush.
I suggest giving your memory cards distinctive volume labels.
The good news is it preserves the volume label when it formats (another utility I tried did not.)

Use the quick format option.

I did format with "Fat 32" on the computer and 'quick format'. The mini says it's not formatted correctly on the screen when it shuts down and wants me to format it. It also wants to know if I want to delete files. This screen comes up at every shut-down until I let it do the formatting. Then it shuts off properly. I guess the easiest thing to do is to just pull the cam and hook it up with USB when I want to review the recordings.

On another matter...I have to disable my virus protection to download the Registrator viewer. Otherwise the virus protector won't let it download.

So the camera only reports a problem on shutting down? Odd. Or does it force the shutdown right away?
Might be worth running H2TESTW to check it's not a fake card.
Also when you formatted it in the PC did you use 8K (8192) allocation unit size? That's what I use.

Only when shutting down. I have a Samsung card coming...we'll see how it does. I don't know about the allocation unit size. I guess it's whatever the computer is set for, since I haven't changed anything.

Back