FORUM FEEDBACK

I've noticed that notifications aren't happening automatically now - I have to refresh to see them.

Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

You may need to re-adjust your preferences. Left-click on your user-name, click preferences from the drop-down menu, then check the boxes to suit you.

I think the forum upgrade changed my preference settings but now I've got everything working as I like and it's all at least as good as before :)

Phil

They're all ticked, I get emails just not the little red box until I refresh. Strange - maybe my browser.

Thanks @SawMaster!

They're all ticked, I get emails just not the little red box until I refresh. Strange - maybe my browser.

I have checked this also. There is no longer an active connection back to server to check (ajax is one way), you have to refresh now to see any new alerts. I am sure @DashCamMan can adjust the pluggin so it returns to how it worked before.

And Happy New Year to all!

Alert notifications used to be a plug-on now it is a standard feature. Unless a new plug-in is built or they update the feature, not sure if I can change that.

I miss those old classic default emojis. Is it possible to get those back? The new default emojis (smiles) bite the big one! :D

Also, we started out the new site refresh with two different Shades of Grey theme choices but now there's only one. Might it be possible to add some new theme options?

Not sure if I will be able to get the old smilies back. I just reinstalled them..but they are the new ones.

Will add more themes as they come up. Not many are available yet. Also if they are not popular they don't get maintained so I am moving a bit slower on installing a bunch of them.

Thanks DCM. I find I enjoy darker themes on certain web sites as they are easier on the eyes with longer viewing. The Shades of Grey is quite dark though and yesterday I noticed some black text in a post that was nearly invisible on the dark grey background. A lighter grey theme when available would be nice.

BTW, Am I the only one who thinks the new emojis leave something to be desired? o_O

This is 'sposed to be a "Big Grin" ? :D............:meh:

Agree on the new smilies ugliness as I'm a heavy user of them, however I can live with whatever happens. Not a priority item.

FYI, I am still having spellcheck problems and only here on DCT :( What is happening is rather odd- I can write a post with obvious errors which don't get highlighted. If I right-click on an errata sometimes it highlights and another click gets a recommended fix just as it should :cool: When it doesn't highlight, I can often click on an empty spot on the page, do the previous again, and it will highlight etc from there- very strange. And sometimes that doesn't do it. Using latest FF and Win 8.1 here.

I'll manage but I jeavily rel on spellchecl as you can see :eek: Andcyes, rius is my noemal qiuck trpung

Phil

I've experienced some peculiar spell checker behavior too.

Another issue that's occurred on several occasions now is that I'll be typing a brief reply to a post and then when I go to post the reply I get a "security error" and discover that I've been logged out unexpectedly.

My OS has an excellent built in spell checker that's been working beautifully for years. One shouldn't have to go out and get a third party plug-in to fix a problem you didn't have before the new forum "upgrade". Also, plug-ins like Grammarly can potentially compromise your privacy.

I can't replicate this spell check issue. Note using Firefox, it is picking up the spelling errors as well.

1.jpg

I'm using Firefox and most of the time the spell check works as it should. On some seemingly random occasions it will miss an obviously misspelled word. A few times the spell checker suddenly highlighted my entire post as if everything was misspelled.

BTW, Am I the only one who thinks the new emojis leave something to be desired?...
Yeah, I prefer to old 'standard' ones myself, they just appear to be neater and cleaner - not a big issue though.

Yeah, I prefer to old 'standard' ones myself, they just appear to be neater and cleaner - not a big issue though.

I found the older emojis to be more expressive, which I guess is their purpose. They can help clarify intent on internet forums where it's not uncommon for statements to be misinterpreted.

@DashCamMan, I'm suddenly having issues trying to attach some photos to a thread where I keep getting an error that the files are too big, but they're not. All of them are less than 1 MB. I tried reducing them in size to 750 MB and had some success but the second file wouldn't load as "too big" even though it is only 492KB. All the problem files (jpegs) load to 98% and then suddenly the error message appears.

Back