Front and rear cam for an old convertible

Aph

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
G/SGZC12SG & Mini 0906
I’ve owned a Panorama G with a 128 GB card for the past 18 months (thank you Jon, it’s exceeded expectations) which I swap around the three vehicles I drive.

One of them is an old convertible which I’d like to fit with permanent front and rear cameras which despite being in the UK, I drive with the top down the majority of the time.

Unlike the majority I suspect, I use the camera, not just for security, but as a video camera for the spectacular scenery and roads I drive through as it’s not always convenient to stop and take photos of what’s around. Inevitably because of the one forward-facing camera, it also means I miss all the equally beautiful scenes that are behind me.

I’ve got a 3000+ mile driving holiday to the south of France in June which last year produced some really scenic video but with me having to detach the Panorama G every time we stopped for longer than a fuel stop, for example.

I’ve already worked out where I can hide a rear camera and leave it permanently fixed but I suspect I’ll be left with removing the front one as before.

So I require the following:

a) Video quality similar to the Panorama G. front and rear.

b) The rear camera to be waterproof and as small as possible and to be ON all the time I’m driving AND parked, except when at home when it could be switched off.

c) The front camera to have a sucker fitment as the dashboard is only 3.5 inches (9 cm) in depth and the windscreen nearly upright.

d) No sticky pad fitments.

e) GPS would be nice.

Apologies for the long post, but I needed to ensure that you were in possession of all my requirements. Hopefully if I attach a few photos of the car in question, it’ll help with an answer.

DCT1.jpg DCT2.jpg Photo 2.jpg

As per rear camera being waterproof, at the moment there is only one 1080p Sony Exmor waterproof dashcam solution: have a look at Street Guardian SGZC12RC and optional external waterproof camera SGRCWPC, it is as tiny as it can get and very discrete.

We have few users who also drive classic cars and seeing yours I can see that front dashcam must be mounted off-centre. Because your car windshield is not almost vertical but also angled to the sides, you need ball-joint dashcam. In most cases they are bulky, but if you already have a good experience with Panorama G, now Street Guardian took over this series and upgraded it ( SGZC12SG V2 PRO ).

By the way nice car and eye-catching numberplate "DCT 123".
DashCamTalk ? ;)

By the way nice car and eye-catching numberplate "DCT 123".
DashCamTalk ? ;)
:) The letters could so easily have been PSP (Paint Shop Pro)

As per rear camera being waterproof, at the moment there is only one 1080p Sony Exmor waterproof dashcam solution: have a look at Street Guardian SGZC12RC and optional external waterproof camera SGRCWPC, it is as tiny as it can get and very discrete.

We have few users who also drive classic cars and seeing yours I can see that front dashcam must be mounted off-centre. Because your car windshield is not almost vertical but also angled to the sides, you need ball-joint dashcam. In most cases they are bulky, but if you already have a good experience with Panorama G, now Street Guardian took over this series and upgraded it ( SGZC12SG V2 PRO ).
Thanks for those suggestions Niko, once I've done some research on here I'll recontact you.

Thanks for those suggestions Niko, once I've done some research on here I'll recontact you.

No problem.

One of my "crazy ideas" on how SGRCWPC can be also used as a front dashcam.

Front and rear main DVR unit SGZC12RC hidden in glove box, or front camera unit hidden in the cigarette ash-tray compartment near gear lever.
SGRCWPC video cable could be run via windsheild centre pillar along top edge to the drivers side. SGRCWPC is so tiny that it would be hardly visible to outside and will not block your view.

a3.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

When i got my first car i had the chance to buy a MK2 Jaguar, but it was 10.000 more than the Volvo 121 i got, and though gasoline was cheaper back in 1984 i am sure a 18 year old machine worker apprentice would not be able to keep feeding that JAG :D

Reactions: Aph
One of my "crazy ideas" on how SGRCWPC can be also used as a front dashcam.

Front and rear main DVR unit SGZC12RC hidden in glove box, or front camera unit hidden in the cigarette ash-tray compartment near gear lever.
SGRCWPC video cable could be run via windsheild centre pillar along top edge to the drivers side. SGRCWPC is so tiny that it would be hardly visible to outside and will not block your view.

View attachment 21344

View attachment 21346

View attachment 21347
I love "crazy ideas". Thinking out of the box is what I like to do. For example the cigarette ash-tray compartment isn't a cigarette ash-tray compartment. I have a large capacity hard drive in the boot with all my favourite sounds on it and the control system for that is hidden there. Also I have a DAB radio on the rear bulkhead between the seats which is completely hidden by the soft-top. so unfortunately hiding the control box under there won't work, but it's those kind of ideas I welcome.

I did wonder if I could hide a SGRCWPC behind the radiator grille at the top but suspect that it would soon be covered by the dirt that's on the road, especially when it rains, as well as the grille slats are probably too close together to get a decent view out. Similarly I also thought about hiding one inside one of the main headlights, the spots being too low, but not sure if the camera could take the heat the uprated lights would generate.

Back