Front and Rear Dash Cam Setup

TehNewbie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to have a front and rear dash cam setup, with the main feature being that of parking. Car gets parked a lot in public places like shopping centres so I'd favour a dashcam that has a HD parking mode.

So far I've considered getting:
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH
BlackVue DR750LW-2CH (seems like a great unit just the size and idea of leaving something that big in my car alone frightens me)
Vicovation Marcus 5

My budget is around $600AUD.

Or would I be better off buying 2 seperate dash cams and installing them accordingly?

Last edited:
you're not spoilt for choice unfortunately, very little to choose from in dual camera setups
I know right. I'm thinking I'd have to go with a multi channel setup because let's say a front camera detects movement at least I can have the peace of mind of the rear camera recording as well (eg if someone were to nick my car but the front camera does not catch the number plate but the rear does when they drive off)

movement sensing isn't perfect, it will miss stuff at times or alternatively be so sensitive that it never shuts off, hard to find a balance

Lukas LK-7950WD supposedly has the lowest battery use in parking mode.

Can you remind what is the power use on Lukas while in parking mode ?

Can you remind what is the power use on Lukas while in parking mode ?

As per manual, 370mA (13.4V), approx. 4.9W(with GPS + wifi) and has built-in voltage cutoff.

Not sure if it's different for parking mode as it doesn't specify what mode but other Lukas claim as low as 2.5w.

Last edited:
As per manual, 370mA (13.4V), approx. 4.9W(with GPS + wifi) and has built-in voltage cutoff.

Not sure if it's different for parking mode as it doesn't specify what mode but other Lukas claim as low as 2.5w.

Thats way too much.

Panorama series is know as The lowest power consumption dashcam on the market ! ;)

Manufacturer claims:

160mAh parking / motion detection standby
190mAh driving / recording, lcd off
210mAh driving / recording + gps antenna, lcd off.

@Lielap made precise measurements of power consumption data for Panorama II S without GPS (firmware 1.12.06 2014-04-22 18:00).

Measurement voltage: 13.6v

Power consumption values fluctuate +-3mA.
These are the mean readings:
recording 1920x1080 30FPS with LCD off: 150 mA
recording 1920x1080 30FPS with LCD on: 170 mA
recording 1280x720 30FPS with LCD off: 110 mA
recording 1280x720 30FPS with LCD on: 132 mA
recording 1280x720 60FPS with LCD off: 140 mA
recording 1280x720 60FPS with LCD on: 162 mA
not recording with LCD on: 88 mA

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the Panorama X2 side by side against the Lukas LK7950WD and as things stand the X2 is the one I would still buy - there are still some software issues on both - the X2 has better video quality out of the two though, there's not much difference on the rear but the front is better.

There are still some software issues around BDP on the X2 and the latest releases are picky around card compatibility (it seems to work fine with my Lukas 633x cards on 1.02.04 with BDP off) but all dual channels have various issues due to extra complexity - the Lukas does too.

I run the Panorama X2 side by side against the Lukas LK7950WD and as things stand the X2 is the one I would still buy - there are still some software issues on both - the X2 has better video quality out of the two though, there's not much difference on the rear but the front is better.

There are still some software issues around BDP on the X2 and the latest releases are picky around card compatibility (it seems to work fine with my Lukas 633x cards on 1.02.04 with BDP off) but all dual channels have various issues due to extra complexity - the Lukas does too.

For me Panorama X2 is like a women - you hate and love them at same time, has its own pros and cons, but over the time you start forgetting or getting used to most cons and "fussy temper" and take her as is :)

Back