G1W-CB: issues with recording

Xybone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought a G1W-CB a month ago. It seems fine but I'm seeing some slight issues with it and I'm hoping they can be fixed.

1) date and time seems to reset randomly. Is this an issue with the capacitor model?

2) seems to randomly stop recording. Records fine but then stops recording, losing lots of time and doesn't recover until it's turned off and on again.

Ex: http://imgur dot com/a/sh2Q2 (DCT won't let me post it without trying to embed it for some reason)
It's set to have two minute segments. It recorded from 12:13 to 12:15 but then stops recording for 15 minutes. It starts back up at 12:30 but only records for 57 seconds before stopping again. I was able to wake up my cam and interact with it so I'm guessing I didn't see the timestamp counting up.

3) sometimes it freezes. It'll be recording then suddenly stop with no indication with the red light blinking fast, then stopping repeatedly. The screen can be turned on and will turn off in the 2 minute timer I set but sometimes while the image completely freezes, it sometimes moves along with the car but the timestamp/recording time doesn't count up.

Could this be because I didn't format the SD card to FAT32? It's a 64 GB card. But I also have a sneaking suspicion that I got ****ed by marketing and accidentally bought a Class 3 card instead of a Class 10.

Here's the card I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XX29S9Q/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Card is a Class 10 U3 which is plenty fast enough, more likely a camera problem (assuming card is genuine), these G1W cams are built to a price and can be a bit hit and miss unfortunately

Bought a G1W-CB a month ago. It seems fine but I'm seeing some slight issues with it and I'm hoping they can be fixed.

1) date and time seems to reset randomly. Is this an issue with the capacitor model?

It can be. It should keep time for at least a few days sitting idle. Mine was reliable at 5-6 days.

Could this be because I didn't format the SD card to FAT32? It's a 64 GB card.

Absolutely. Many versions of this cam don't function well unless the card is formatted to FAT32. Native Windows programs won't do that with the larger cards but there are freeware programs which will- sdformatter is good but there are many others. Use one of them to format the card to FAT32, then do an in-cam format. My guess is that this will solve your issues. If you have another known good PS, I'd try that next. Sometimes re-flashing the firmware helps (contact the seller to get the correct version). Also try different clip lengths- sometimes that will help.

There are several manufacturers of these cams now and some are pretty bad. If my suggestions don't do the trick then I'd make use of the warranty as the problem then would be with the hardware.

Phil

(...) format the card to FAT32, then do an in-cam format.
If the G1W-CB is like my two Novatek cameras, it'll restore the card back to ex-FAT if formatted in the camera. The best thing is to avoid using cards bigger than 32GB.

Card is a Class 10 U3 which is plenty fast enough, more likely a camera problem (assuming card is genuine), these G1W cams are built to a price and can be a bit hit and miss unfortunately

So, my only option is to return it? That isn't going to be fun :/

It can be. It should keep time for at least a few days sitting idle. Mine was reliable at 5-6 days.

Absolutely. Many versions of this cam don't function well unless the card is formatted to FAT32. Native Windows programs won't do that with the larger cards but there are freeware programs which will- sdformatter is good but there are many others. Use one of them to format the card to FAT32, then do an in-cam format. My guess is that this will solve your issues. If you have another known good PS, I'd try that next. Sometimes re-flashing the firmware helps (contact the seller to get the correct version). Also try different clip lengths- sometimes that will help.

There are several manufacturers of these cams now and some are pretty bad. If my suggestions don't do the trick then I'd make use of the warranty as the problem then would be with the hardware.

Phil

Used GUIFormat to format it, let's see if this works.

So, my only option is to return it? That isn't going to be fun :/

you can try a different card and see if you can find something that works better with it, returns are just about impossible if you bought it offshore

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Xybone G1WX 2
T G1WX 4
J G1WX 19
N G1WX 9
M G1WX 14
Back