G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

I got a 32Gb Kingston class 4 SD card for the G1W. Does anyone think this might be too slow or should it work?

I used a 2GB Class 4 Kingston for a short while before getting my 32GB C10 Sandisk and I didn't see any issues with the Kingston. My testing was very limited however.

There is no problem with Class 4 cards and 1080p/30 video in general. There is more than enough write speed available for full HD.

I got a 32Gb Kingston class 4 SD card for the G1W. Does anyone think this might be too slow or should it work?
i would give it a test around the block and just check to make sure there are no gaps or sluggish video. I can't speak for the G1W, but i had to use a Class 4 Sandisk SD card in a DVR-027.

With a class 10 card it had a 1 second gap in footage.
With the class 4 card it had about 4 seconds of a gap in footage.
When the card would pause to make a new clip and start recording again.

This could of been because it was class 4 or because it was Sandisk. I have never had a problem with Sandisk cards before, but my G1W did not like the brand new class 10 micro SD i tried to use. How ever as posted below with my limited testing and according to other members Transcend works well in the G1W

I just received my Transcend Class 10 Micro SD card and adapter in the mail about an hour ago.
Took a ride around the block for about 10 mins about 4 clips worth and no issues yet. where my Sandisk would of recorded one clip and then had a memory error.

I might leave it in tonight to see how it performs, but i don't know how much it would bother my battery to leave two cameras in over night with no BDP Device. Maybe i'll give my Vico the night off and cross my fingers the G1W holds up.

Since I'm still waiting on delivery, does it format the SD card for you or do you have to format it on your computer first?

Alright. So i left it in my car rear window all night to see what would happen. There is a video of me putting it in and taking it out, but nothing else was recorded, and i don't know what happened, but it worked last night when i took a drive around the block. I acidenly hit the record button when before i took it out, and the screen came on and it started recording like it had already been powered on but not recording.

So i guess i am going to have to have to run a few places today and let a buddy drive so i can sit and watch this thing and see if maybe i just had the auto power off set.

:EDIT:
Just had to stop back at home. Took a look and everything seems okay. It is raining out so the windscreen was a little spotty from the rain, but the video looks better then my DVR-027.

My only current issue is that I had something i wanted to lock, and i accidentally hit record instead of mode so i went to go to the play back screen witch allows me to protect it. How ever when you protect a file from the play back menu and check to make sure it is protected the screen menu choice still says Protect and not Un, Stop, or Don't Protect so i could not make sure it is indeed protected.

:EDIT AGAIN:
Just got back from a second run. Everything seemed okay for the most part. The camera seemed to record most if not all of the journey, but there are eight folders inside the DCIM folder.

One folder has locked files from before my first edit here, the other after. A third folder has one file i zoomed into a plate on to see if it would keep the zoom in the video (it does) although i know i zoomed more then one video. One folder has one clip that is about 6 seconds from when i accidentally hit the record button when i meant to hit the mode/lock button.

The way all the folders are named looks kind of odd. the last few numbers are the date, but i can't figure out the first few.

Last edited:
I'm about to buy the G1W by price / performance and I find this new GS9000L for a very close, they believe you?
I have not found any versus two good and cheap these cameras.

I'm about to buy the G1W by price / performance and I find this new GS9000L for a very close, they believe you?
I have not found any versus two good and cheap these cameras.
I believe the GS9000L is a knock off of the Ambarella version without the L (Same with the GS8000/L) I can not find a spec sheet on the GS900L, but the GS8000L is not recommended according to the FAQ posted, and i am assuming they run the same chip. When buying a Novatek chip camera if the chip is not 96650 you will most likely be disappointed by the video quality.

I believe the GS9000L is a knock off of the Ambarella version without the L (Same with the GS8000/L) I can not find a spec sheet on the GS900L, but the GS8000L is not recommended according to the FAQ posted, and i am assuming they run the same chip. When buying a Novatek chip camera if the chip is not 96650 you will most likely be disappointed by the video quality.

the L version uses the 96220, it's a dog of a chipset, most often combined with a 1.3mp sensor, results are as disappointing as you'd expect

:EDIT AGAIN:
Just got back from a second run. Everything seemed okay for the most part. The camera seemed to record most if not all of the journey, but there are eight folders inside the DCIM folder.

One folder has locked files from before my first edit here, the other after. A third folder has one file i zoomed into a plate on to see if it would keep the zoom in the video (it does) although i know i zoomed more then one video. One folder has one clip that is about 6 seconds from when i accidentally hit the record button when i meant to hit the mode/lock button.

The way all the folders are named looks kind of odd. the last few numbers are the date, but i can't figure out the first few.

That means your problems are gone with the transcend card?
You wrote that you like to record for longer time, then you definitely have to try the 64gb samsung msdxc!(10~11h recording space) i described it somewhere in previous posts!

I seen that. That's my next step a 64GB card and yes after using a Transcend card everything is working fine so far thanks.

Last edited:
I bought this unit from estore009 and I'm not sure if I have a defective unit or I'm missing something. If I turn on motion detector, the default 3-min loop recording will always cut off around 5-15secs. I have to turn off the motion sensor for the recording to function properly. Another problem, the G-sensor does not work. I tried turning on the setting high and it will not record upon any shock vibration. I tested with another unit (I purchased two) and it seems to work flawlessly. Does this sound like a defective unit or am I missing something?

I just got my G1w yesterday from estore009 and still trying to figure out the motion sensor and g-sensor.

Does the camera need to be on for motion sensor and g-sensor to work? Or is it suppose to wake up (and use its battery) when motion or g-sensor is detected? Thanks

I bought this unit from estore009 and I'm not sure if I have a defective unit or I'm missing something. If I turn on motion detector, the default 3-min loop recording will always cut off around 5-15secs. I have to turn off the motion sensor for the recording to function properly. Another problem, the G-sensor does not work. I tried turning on the setting high and it will not record upon any shock vibration. I tested with another unit (I purchased two) and it seems to work flawlessly. Does this sound like a defective unit or am I missing something?

Does the camera need to be on for motion sensor and g-sensor to work?
The camera needs to be running yes. I have not tried motion detection on my G1W yet, but on the DVR-027 it is just about useless. By the time it sensed a car driving by and started recording the car would be half way gone out of the shot.

I bought this unit from estore009 and I'm not sure if I have a defective unit or I'm missing something. If I turn on motion detector, the default 3-min loop recording will always cut off around 5-15secs. I have to turn off the motion sensor for the recording to function properly.
I'm not %100 sure, but i believe it is ether one or the other. You can ether record full time or use motion detection. Maybe pressing record forces the camera to record for the time it would when it senses motion, but i am not sure I have not tested and never use MD myself

The camera needs to be running yes. I have not tried motion detection on my G1W yet, but on the DVR-027 it is just about useless. By the time it sensed a car driving by and started recording the car would be half way gone out of the shot.

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to confirm, so for typical use case - mounted in car using cigarette lighter - motion detection should be off correct?

Hmmm...I can't seem to get the g-sensor to trigger recording. Not a big deal, since I don't plan to keep the unit powered on all the time anyways.

As far as i know, i played around with them:

for motion detection camera hast to be ON, and motion detection has to be enabled, when it detects something in its viewing angle changing, it starts recording and stops after some time, waiting again for changes
in my opinion for fast moving objects as vehicles, bycycles and fast moving persons, too unreliable... in the recording you can see it starts way too late recording... the object is then only partly in the video or already gone

shock detection works another way, camera has to be ON and RECORDING, depending on the choosen shock sensivity setting it reacts to stronger or weaker vibration of camera, if the sensor detects a shock the camera protects the current recorded video from later being overwritten....thats all, thats supposed to be something like crash detection (you can manually protect video any time by pressing mode button while recording), it works indeed...on setting high protection was activated already when i just moved the cam slightly in the mount or pressed button on it

i didnt test though how reliable the file protection works from files being overwritten....since i use 32gb and 64gb and 16gb flashcards and it takes too long to wait out full recording cycle...too much hassle for now...too lazy : D

to prevent information being scattered in many threads :D

shock detection works another way, camera has to be ON and RECORDING

Duh that is it. I meant to mention it has to be recording as well but it slipped my mind.
It's been long since i used shock detection because for me hitting a speed bump or pot hole would trigger it, and before i knew it my card was filled with clips of speed bumps because they would be locked, not get over written and filled the card up.

Also I left my G1W running over night in a family members car. It went down between 30 and 33 °F last night checked it in the morning and had no issues it was still recording

I just ordered one from estore009, $52USD = $56.01CAD which is a 'throwaway price' it's so low.

I have an X6 in which I use a Transcend TS32GUSDU1 and haven't had any problems.

I'd still like to buy Jokiin's super-dooper cameras when they become available, then I'll give the old ones away.

J

Back