G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

Just noticed that estore009 updated the ebay ad with some more details.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310752336819
Model is now in black, they have an internal chip photo and confirm it is using the Aptina AR0330 CMOS. Firmware is 2013092501.

With 52usd delivered, it is very hard to get something better near that price.
Next better dash cam is 70usd, VF300W, so it leaves a room of 18usd to think and decide for buyers between G1W and VF300W.

At $52 it is a steal for the image quality assuming it will be reliable.

What about if the power of camera shut downs unexpectly, when I shut down the car? How does it have time to save the file properly, so it doesn't corrupt?

What about if the power of camera shut downs unexpectly, when I shut down the car? How does it have time to save the file properly, so it doesn't corrupt?

they have a battery inside for shutdown purposes, doesn't take a lot of reserve power either, Novatek based cameras do the file save and shutdown probably faster than any other solution right now

A New Member just joined that says they manufacture the G1W.

Rayman.Chan
New Member/Manufacturer
clear.png
China
Dash Cam: Mini0801, GS8000, G1W and so on

Maybe he can answer a lot of questions and help improve future G1W firmwares. He's already chimed in on my Mini 0801.

Check it out.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenzhen-meg-technology.2682/

Last edited by a moderator:

If battery is in OK condition ,then it will save last file. If battery is faulty, then does not save last file and not keep settings in the memory. I had few of those with after few hours of use battery was dead. Had to order and pay for replacement batteries.

If battery is in OK condition ,then it will save last file. If battery is faulty, then does not save last file and not keep settings in the memory. I had few of those with after few hours of use battery was dead. Had to order and pay for replacement batteries.

realistically in these entry level price models the battery is one of the first things they cut back on the quality of to save money, one of the more dangerous things they cut back on as well, you do only get what you pay for, sometimes less

Hello, I'm new here. Sorry if this has been answered before, but with this camera, what is the expected recording time for a 8GB microSD card?

Does this one actually have external GPS port? Some site says so, and some site not.

EDIT: And if a crash happens, is there some button to lock last 10 minutes for example of being overwritten by loop functionality?

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks.

"It [G1W] records 1080p at 30f/s with an average bit rate of approximately 15,000kpbs."

8GB @ 15Mbps = 1.2 hours

Looks like I need a bigger microSD card.

I have been using Sandisk Ultras in all of my DashCams and everything has worked well so far. BestBuy price matches Amazon in store when an item is sold by Amazon so if your G1W comes in and you need a card quick.

Sold by Amazon price right now 23.70
BestBuy price right now 69.99

Does this one actually have external GPS port? Some site says so, and some site not.
What i remember reading is that a port is there, but it is ether not connected to anything/not fully completed or no external device is available right now.

hi,
me again... small update...all 7 of my cams still working fine (since 08.2013), no problems in terms of reliability yet
the one with 64gb msdxc card also working fine, no corruption of card or such....

i saw three questions in posts which i might be able to answer:

if you want to use a different usb power adapter to provide power to g1w you should have one that provides 2A, dont forget that when it says it gives 2A power in reality most of time it provides up to 30% less...so using a 1A adapter for example actually will give only 700ma and that will be not enough, it needs more. you can check and see that the original power adapter of g1w provides more than 1A

next question was about how much time you can record, a 32gb msdhc card provides capacity for 4,5 hours recording for full hd....just divide that values corresponding, so for 8gb it would be: 8gb= 32/4 -> 4,5/4=1,1h

another question was about crash, well i have no crash expirience with it, but there is a shock sensor in the cam, you can even adjust its sensitivity in the settings...and theoreticallly if it detects collision it should record protect that video so it wont be overwritten...needs to experiment and check how reliable that actually works...but it is there :)

about long term working of the g1w, i had one cam working for several weeks without pause inside a room without turning it off, there were no problems, worked fine!

if you want to use a different usb power adapter to provide power to g1w you should have one that provides 2A, dont forget that when it says it gives 2A power in reality most of time it provides up to 30% less...so using a 1A adapter for example actually will give only 700ma and that will be not enough, it needs more. you can check and see that the original power adapter of g1w provides more than 1A

Good point @ loosing about 30% power.

When the battery is full charged, what is duration? And is it possible to change battery easily?

When the battery is full charged, what is duration? And is it possible to change battery easily?

When battery is new, then about 20-25min. Later duration drops when time goes by.

another question was about crash, well i have no crash expirience with it, but there is a shock sensor in the cam, you can even adjust its sensitivity in the settings...and theoreticallly if it detects collision it should record protect that video so it wont be overwritten...needs to experiment and check how reliable that actually works...but it is there :)

Estore has updated description for this item:
"Support G-sensor; Lock video files manually by pressing Mode button when take recording;"

Lock video files manually by pressing Mode button when take recording

I was just wondering if it had something like this. I am guessing it locks the whole 5 min file like my GS8000 did, but that is better then nothing or having to have someone stop and re-start recording real quick with my DVR-027 and then looking for smaller file sized clips when i get back to my computer was a pain.

Back