G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

I bought this unit from estore009 and I'm not sure if I have a defective unit or I'm missing something. If I turn on motion detector, the default 3-min loop recording will always cut off around 5-15secs. I have to turn off the motion sensor for the recording to function properly. Another problem, the G-sensor does not work. I tried turning on the setting high and it will not record upon any shock vibration. I tested with another unit (I purchased two) and it seems to work flawlessly. Does this sound like a defective unit or am I missing something?
Motion detection and continuous recording are totally different and mutually discrete functions.
Continuous recording records even if there is no change in the images (motion) over time.
Motion detection means that when the processor compares images over a (very) short time period (usually about 2 seconds), the images are significantly different. If you use this when driving, the far away, tiny images of cars are not significant enough to trigger recording, but, as they get closer, they are bigger and therefore significant. It all depends on the % difference in pixels between two images. (I know this from my home security system which has a setting to vary the % difference that will trigger the alerts, so that a small animal (a cat?) WILL NOT trigger, a much bigger car or person WILL trigger. Also, an event will be triggered when the 'sunny' image changes rapidly to a 'cloudy' image in a short time even when there's no person or car around.)
The change over time is also important, if you have a car or bicycle going past very quickly, there may not be enough images to compare 'over time'. If a car passes by at 80KPH, I'm lucky to see the back end, in fact the 'capture/recording' may not occur at all. However, this also makes sense, the purpose of motion detection is to record cars or people moving relatively slowly around your car that may be about to break into or hit your car in a parking lot, not someone simply passing at great speed.

To test the G-Force, dismount the camera, shake it and watch the screen as it starts to record a NEW file, that will be limited to about 8-10 seconds, to make it easy to find and review. (and to not take up a lot of 'locked space' on your card.) My X6 is set to 8 seconds, but if I keep shaking it, it will create multiple 8 second files. This makes sense because in a crash, it's all over in a few seconds. That locked file will help you find the continuous recording just prior based on the time stamp, etc. to see what led up to the crash and the continuous recording that resumes after the crash, etc. so you can see the aftermath in all it's gory glory ;).

J

Last edited:
Hi there, new to the forum and new to dash cameras, but I've been doing some reading.

I'm getting the same memory error as checkyourlights with my G1W and I'm also using a Sandisk 32gb ultra micro SD card. When I first got the camera I tried all the different variations of recording length with no avail. Eventually I got it to work with 3 minute clips, however I would still get the occasional memory error and lose the clip being recorded. Turning the camera off and on again causes it to start recording like normal again. Sometimes it will work for 2 hours without a problem, but today I couldn't even get it to finish a 3 minute clip before getting the error.

I suspect that the camera I received is not a real G1W. The box doesn't say G1W or Novatek anywhere. It's a gray box that just says "High Definition Video Camcorder."

Any thoughts on whether I should contact the seller and try to return it and purchase from estore? Or try a transcend card? I'd rather not pay another $25 for a new memory card if the camera is having the problems. Thanks.

I suspect that the camera I received is not a real G1W. The box doesn't say G1W or Novatek anywhere. It's a gray box that just says "High Definition Video Camcorder."

Here is the box from my G1W from Estore
10gmf01.jpg

Here is showing it is a G1W
2n997q9.png

Any thoughts on whether I should contact the seller and try to return it and purchase from estore? Or try a transcend card? I'd rather not pay another $25 for a new memory card if the camera is having the problems. Thanks.
I would maybe contact the seller first and see what they say. Shipping back can sometimes cost as much as you paid for the camera in the first place if the seller wants it back at a high shipping cost it might be cheaper to give a transcend card a try. Maybe a friend or family member has one in a smart phone you could barrow first?

I have left my G1W in a car for the past few nights and last time i checked everything seemed okay with the transcend card.

Motion detection and continuous recording are totally different and mutually discrete functions.
Continuous recording records even if there is no change in the images (motion) over time.
Motion detection means that when the processor compares images over a (very) short time period (usually about 2 seconds), the images are significantly different. If you use this when driving, the far away, tiny images of cars are not significant enough to trigger recording, but, as they get closer, they are bigger and therefore significant. It all depends on the % difference in pixels between two images. (I know this from my home security system which has a setting to vary the % difference that will trigger the alerts, so that a small animal (a cat?) WILL NOT trigger, a much bigger car or person WILL trigger. Also, an event will be triggered when the 'sunny' image changes rapidly to a 'cloudy' image in a short time even when there's no person or car around.)
The change over time is also important, if you have a car or bicycle going past very quickly, there may not be enough images to compare 'over time'. If a car passes by at 80KPH, I'm lucky to see the back end, in fact the 'capture/recording' may not occur at all. However, this also makes sense, the purpose of motion detection is to record cars or people moving relatively slowly around your car that may be about to break into or hit your car in a parking lot, not someone simply passing at great speed.

To test the G-Force, dismount the camera, shake it and watch the screen as it starts to record a NEW file, that will be limited to about 8-10 seconds, to make it easy to find and review. (and to not take up a lot of 'locked space' on your card.) My X6 is set to 8 seconds, but if I keep shaking it, it will create multiple 8 second files. This makes sense because in a crash, it's all over in a few seconds. That locked file will help you find the continuous recording just prior based on the time stamp, etc. to see what led up to the crash and the continuous recording that resumes after the crash, etc. so you can see the aftermath in all it's gory glory ;).

J

I know what the function does but my problem is, if I enable motion detector (just enabling), the recording will always cut off at 8-15secs regardless.

that's a firmware issue, better off leaving it set to OFF

aww ok. I figure just to leave it off then. What memory card is best for this dashcam? I tried using a Sandisk 32GB class 10 microsd and I keep on getting memory error. Surprising some no name 16GB class 4 is working.

I know what the function does but my problem is, if I enable motion detector (just enabling), the recording will always cut off at 8-15secs regardless.
That was my point, if you enable Motion Detection you are thereby disabling Continuous Recording. You can't have both at the same time.

J

aww ok. I figure just to leave it off then. What memory card is best for this dashcam? I tried using a Sandisk 32GB class 10 microsd and I keep on getting memory error. Surprising some no name 16GB class 4 is working.

you'll probably have to trial and error a bit to find out what works for you, the product is a public model meaning there are multiple suppliers of the same looking product (but not necessarily the same specification), what works for someone else may not work for you unfortunately

Sorry that you guys are having problems with Sandisk cards. Just thought I'd say my Sandisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 (30mb/s) is still working well for me and I haven't experienced any problems.

Also, I realized something about the auto-loop record (probably the same in all of these cams) -- if you're using a Mac to view and manage files on your SD card, don't forget to empty the trash because they're still occupying space on your card and the camera's processor considers the space unavailable. This may be the same on other platforms as well.

Sorry that you guys are having problems with Sandisk cards. Just thought I'd say my Sandisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 (30mb/s) is still working well for me and I haven't experienced any problems.
I used Sandisk for everything SD cards both class 10 and lower Micro SD card in my phone flash drives in different game consoles and this is the first time i have ever had an issue. I don't want to sound like a Sandisk or go home kind of person it just happens that it is what the local retail stores mostly carried and I get a little to impatient when i am so close to using a new gadget but need a new memory card for it.

I used to see Sandisk, Kingston, PNY, HP, and a few others from time to time, but now whenever I look at BestBuy or Walmart all i seem to find is a big rack of Sandisk in different shapes and sizes. Although not only is my Transcend card doing great in my G1W, but i also like the adapter it came with a lot more then my Sandisk card.
The Sandisk adapters only have a notch on the top and you need to slide a finger nail in and slide the card out. I once had one that refused to come out and i had to end up splitting the adapter open. The Transcend adapters how ever have an opening both on top and under the micro sd card so you can easily get some grip on it with two fingers and slide it out.

A little more back on topic. My G1W has been running in a family members for about 3 or 4 days straight at this point. Last night it went down to about 35°F I checked the camera earlier and it seemed to work OK I did not get a chance to look at the video, but the camera's screen came on when i hit the button. It zoomed in and out. It stopped and started recording. Looks good to go so far.

Hi, have questions about Main Chip for Version, consider buy one from estore009, but they now submit two versions of the variations.
Can anyone advise which is better ? Or is there no difference, or maybe one is more stable.

auksine2CopyCopy2-vi.jpg

processor is the same, different RAM, board layout is different though so would most likely be from a different solution company, if it was from the same supplier and they had revised the board it would look almost the same, they wouldn't do an entirely new layout, as to which is best, flip a coin I guess, purchase both and sell the one you don't like maybe, the black board 'looks' nicer, black boards are harder to QC though, a newer design could be an improvement, it could also have had less development time for firmware

there's no simple answer when dealing with generic product unfortunately and this highlights how different seemingly identical product can be under the covers

The green board is labeled H200 and we have seen it before in the G1W and the "fake" GT350W. The black board is probably a new model. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which one is more stable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received mine today. Quick shipping, 1 week from Estore to So. Calif. Got the brown colored one but it's still pretty dark that I don't anyone would notice.
Internal battery seems weak. After full charge, played with it for about 5 mins and it went to zero bars.

The right/left swivel is really weak on the mount - going to try and stiffen it up to maintain alignment. Anyone already do this and if so how?

Lastly, how do you open the case on this?

Internal battery seems weak. After full charge, played with it for about 5 mins and it went to zero bars.
I had this issue too. I brought it in the house to take a little bit of time to go through all the settings. I figured i would get about 20 mins. Turned the camera on and within about 5 mins was having low flashing and it turned off.

The right/left swivel is really weak on the mount - going to try and stiffen it up to maintain alignment. Anyone already do this and if so how?
Not only is mine a little weak, but if i don't set it on my screen a certain way it can look a little lopsided.With the way it is made i'm not certain if there is a way to fix it, but I was looking at something like this to replace it

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a G1W from estore009. Hopefully will arrive soon! I have a spare 8 GB Sandisk micro SDHC card which originally came with my HTC Evo 4G LTE smartphone. It appears to have a 2 symbol inside a nearly complete circle printed on it, which I have never seen before. Not sure if that is supposed to mean a Class 2 speed, as opposed to the more common Class 4 or Class 10? Does anyone have a guess if that will work with this car cam?

Ordered from estore on the 18th of October - shipping to Canada. Tracking says it has left China. Hopefully next week for me. Got a 32gb transcend of amazon for $30.

Back