"G1W-X" does it exist?

farble1670

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently found a "G1W-X" Black Box dash cam listed on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SX88JIQ
Claims to be the latest model. However, outside of Amazon, I can find no reference to this model. Has anyone heard of this or know if it's for real? Claims to be from "Black Box" and has similar specs to other G1W-* models.

Thanks.

"same basic solution"

Well, not really unless I'm missing something. There's the G1W and G1W-c which look exactly the same. There's the -H. That it's for the "Black Box" brand. Also, this claims some new features like 4x zoom (which sounds useless), a wider angle lense (170 v. 140 on other G1W-* model, which sounds great).

it's a generic NT96650 + AR0330 solution they use, there's some minor variations but they're all much of a muchness

they generally perform ok, build quality can be hit and miss

There is also a G1W-CB with a black lens ring.
They should just make them all like the G1W-H and call it a day.

Just recieved this very camera after ordering on amazon. When comparing to the classic G1W videos on youtube, the only noticeable difference besides the new casing and button layouts is a few new menu options, like turning the screen off after 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc... rather than the previous minimum of 3 minutes, and having the right side have the up and down arrows and a middle button makes it easier to navigate through the menu. Works great, video quality looks great too just like the other G1w videos on youtube.

a few new menu options, like turning the screen off after 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc
This makes the G1W-X worth the buy. If only the price was a little more inline with the other G1W models. For the 70 dollars you might as well just spend a little more and get an A118

I am also curious if the FOV really is anywhere near 170 as claimed.

Hard to say but if I had to guess I'd say it's closer to 140-160 degrees. Here is a screen shot in a very narrow drive thru, the sign on the right is slightly closer than the menu board on the left. The front of my bumper is very close to the imaginary line between the sign on the right and the front edge of the menu board on the left. If it were 170 i'd say you should be able to see my A pillar on the right, and the full menu board on the left.
iB6iGlV.png

Last edited:
One more thing I noticed, whenever the camera is plugged into usb a menu option shows up to choose Mass Storage or Camera, which could be useful for people who plug into data USB for power in their cars which I believe might have been an issue with the older model. There's still a bunch more I need to look at through the menus and options but overall it really seems like an improvement in software usability.

I'm guessing 170 was printed on the box so they went with that, 140 diagonal would be closer to the mark

Hard to say but if I had to guess I'd say it's closer to 140-160 degrees.
I'm guessing 170 was printed on the box so they went with that, 140 diagonal would be closer to the mark
That's what I thought. I was just curious because I have never seen a Novatek NT96650 camera do 170 before. Although I guess all they would have to do is put a different lens in right?

So I'm probably looking into this way more than I should, but I happened to find a short clip on youtube of the old G1W driving on the same freeway as I did this morning, so here's a comparison shot. Old G1W on top, G1W-X on the bottom:

czKH6V7.png

I do think that the g1w-x is a bit wider angle based on this comparison, but there are still too many variables, such as if the youtube user uploaded a cropped or zoomed video, different lighting and width of lanes, different variant possibly fake g1w model, etc...

Here's a compilation I made on youtube so you guys can compare for yourself with other videos, I personally think this is wider.

if someone else can post some links to good quality 1080p G1W footage to compare that'd be great.

How about from a G1W-H:

Back