G1WH can take firmware from DOD LS388W, Shadow GT300W 1306180 and others

The G1 series cameras are a great value but they don't tend to last forever. Two years is not too bad in the scheme of things for these things and often the thing to do at a time like this is to move onto a new, perhaps higher end camera.

My G1W-H died after about a year and a half and if we ran a poll I wouldn't be too surprised to hear many other G1 series camera owners report that theirs are also no longer in service within similar time frames.

Hi
I have two G1W-Hs running one front (June 2015) one rear (November 2015), both from SpyTecInc and both running OK. Like the above post I am looking for a more higher end camera.
Would like to have true 4k video ! at 30fps, GPS and Speed, impact safe and a more robust type of mount, and Wi-Fi to my android phone.
The only problems I have had is the mounts that came with the G1W-Hs they work loose and this then lets the camera move, to fix I have bonded the mount to the camera with a 2 part adhesive, works well. The rear camera also uses a adhesive mount to the rear screen surround. Since fitting the rear camera which has a warning sign as well, tailgaters often pull back to a safer distance. If not the rear screen wash seems to have an effect on them!!!!!

It seems that G1WH can be flashed with several other firmwares.
Here is link to other forum where I found the information.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/alie...rocessor-1080p-dash-cam-51-42-cad-1468499/67/

"Firmware Update Instructions

1.Download the firmware file to your computer
2.Unzip the file
3.Format your memory card in your computer (or unit)
4.Copy the bin file to the root of your memory card
5.Change the name of the firmware you would like to flash to FWDM800H (required as the G1WH will not update with bin files with names other then this)
6.Put card into camera
7.Power camera on (make sure the camera is plugged in)
8.The camera will update automatically. The screen will stay off but the status light will ight up; it will take 30-60 seeconds
9.After updating, remove the memory card and test with another memory card. Remove the firmware from the memory card you would like to use or it will flash every time"

LINK TO FIRMWARE

"I flashed them all and tried them briefly. Good old quiet nightshifts, hehe. The highlights are:

12 kbps: Carscam, Tantugo, GW1H
15 kbps: DOD (all 3), Shadow (both)
AWB: DOD LS388W, Shadow GT300W 1306180
Givoe G1W buttons were not responsive, all other firmwares worked.
G1WH: WDR on/off option. All others WDR stays on.
DOD LS300W 20130328: 2 channel audio @ 1024, all others 1 channel at 512. Not really noticeable; probably not true 2 channel anyways
Loop: Only G1WH has 3/5/10, all others have 2/3/5
LS300W 20130328: Highest bitrate of all at 15767 kbps, other 15 kbps bitrates were 15255 ish.
Image rotation on all DOD and Shadow; camera can be used upside down
Carscam has PC camera when connected to PC as well as mass storage
All work with AV out cable, all record when plugged in and stop when unplugged

I'm going to go with the Shadow GT300W 1306180-SC-2. It has all the features of the LS388W but the menus look a little cleaner (IMO). I watched some similar recordings from several of these and there was very little noticeable difference other than the AWB which seemed to handle rapid light changes a little better. Sorry, I can't post the videos , too much personal stuff here. Maybe LS300W 20130328 as 3rd choice after LS388W, highest video bitrat and 2 channel audio recording. No AWB, too bad."
OK.just flashed the DOD LS388W firmware to an old 2013 G1W. I changed the name of the firmware to FWS1088.BIN
I took this name from the 2014.0108 update and applied it to said firmware,and it works a treat. No more red car on start up screen! and it gives extra features like inverted screen and reg stamp.

OK.just flashed the DOD LS388W firmware to an old 2013 G1W. I changed the name of the firmware to FWS1088.BIN
I took this name from the 2014.0108 update and applied it to said firmware,and it works a treat. No more red car on start up screen! and it gives extra features like inverted screen and reg stamp.
Those firmwares were initially meant for the G1W-H, due to its similarity with cameras from other manufacturers, but if you managed to make it work in a G1W, good. :)

Those firmwares were initially meant for the G1W-H, due to its similarity with cameras from other manufacturers, but if you managed to make it work in a G1W, good. :)
Thanks for reply. I noticed as you have covered ,that the ls388w had problems with different lighting conditions.
I have re-flashed using the 2015.0121 firmware and it copes much better in dull light conditions,so i will be sticking with it.
Thank you for all your input throughout this thread,it has been very useful.

The G1 series cameras are a great value but they don't tend to last forever. Two years is not too bad in the scheme of things for these things and often the thing to do at a time like this is to move onto a new, perhaps higher end camera.

My G1W-H died after about a year and a half and if we ran a poll I wouldn't be too surprised to hear many other G1 series camera owners report that theirs are also no longer in service within similar time frames.
Had my G1W for over 3 years and it's still working fine. I may have just struck lucky,but i will be buying another original G1W shortly as a back up before the 96650 chipsets disappear.

Had my G1W for over 3 years and it's still working fine. I may have just struck lucky,but i will be buying another original G1W shortly as a back up before the 96650 chipsets disappear.

hard to buy a G1W still that has the same PCB and build quality as they did 3 years ago, most of the sellers go for the cheaper variants

@jokiin said what I was just about to. You've been very fortunate with your original G1W. I hope your luck continues to hold.

Foxoffer, (an honest and reliable Chinese retailer) still sells a NT96650+AR0330 based G1W-C. If they say it has those components you can trust that. As to what PCB and build quality they can supply, I don't know but perhaps @jokiin can offer an opinion about whether that might be a G1W worth purchasing.

I've never looked at what version Foxoffer have but they generally do have the better version of the low end products and would be a safer bet, there are multiple versions of the 9665o PCB and the quality varies quite a lot, from a wholesale perspective you could buy two of the cheapest variant for the same cost as one of the best variant, easy to see why there are so many low end versions getting about when the cost difference is so large

I've always had a good experience with Foxoffer, even when something went wrong one time. They've repeatedly told me that they test every dash cam before they ship them out and they seem to try to sell decent quality budget priced goods. As they have had a longtime presence here on DCT it might be worth contacting them via PM to ask about the G1Ws they sell. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/foxoffer.1831/

I've always had a good experience with Foxoffer, even when something went wrong one time. They've repeatedly told me that they test every dash cam before they ship them out and they seem to try to sell decent quality budget priced goods. As they have had a longtime presence here on DCT it might be worth contacting them via PM to ask about the G1Ws they sell. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/foxoffer.1831/
Thanks for trust us.
Regarding G1W-C, we will bring something new after 2 weeks.
Now there are too many different version in the market, we need sell something different.

A bunch of instructions on this thread all say to rename the file name. I did that first thinking it was the only way.

The very first post in this thread says:

1.Download the firmware file to your computer
2.Unzip the file
3.Format your memory card in your computer (or unit)
4.Copy the bin file to the root of your memory card
5.Change the name of the firmware you would like to flash to FWDM800H (required as the G1WH will not update with bin files with names other then this)
6.Put card into camera
7.Power camera on (make sure the camera is plugged in)
8.The camera will update automatically. The screen will stay off but the status light will ight up; it will take 30-60 seeconds
9.After updating, remove the memory card and test with another memory card. Remove the firmware from the memory card you would like to use or it will flash every time"

Also the post above mine says:

At first I tried using the default FWS1088.bin and LDS1088.bin but that didn't work.
Luckily I saw De-Occultist's post above andrenamed them to FWDM800H.bin andLDDM800H.bin and tossed them on the card.

So I thought it was necessary to rename the filename.
would it work with G1WHT cam too?

Firstly my thanks to all who have posted to this thread. Just to add my experiences. I have several G1WH's bought at various times in the past years. All of them have had their batteries replaced.
The stock power adapters are no good. I run dedicated 12v to USB modules supposedly rated at 3A, but they work. Don't try running a USB to the rear - too much voltage drop. Instead run 12v to the rear and then have a local 12 to USB module.
I made up a circuit involving relays and diodes that allows me to power the cameras when parked up by pressing a button. The circuit function is cancelled when the ignition is next switched on. A nice feature when parked in a dodgy car park.
On of my G1WH has 2014.0509 firmware and will run a SanDisk 64GB no problem. Another G1WH had DA380-2104 and would give a memory error with a 64GB card. The DA380-2015-01-21-01 also gives a memory error. So does 2014.0509. The only firmware tried so far that will accept a 64GB card is LS300W 1306130-SC-2.
The slide mounting is loose and rattles. Shim up with slivers of paper in the recess - sorted.
There are a lot of fake SanDisk cards out there. G1WH will happily record away and 'save' the files, but the later files wont play. You get 8GB card relabeled and configured as 32GB. Use a utility called h2testw to ensure you have a true capacity card.

Last edited:
On of my G1WH has 2014.0509 firmware and will run a SanDisk 64GB no problem. Another G1WH had DA380-2104 and would give a memory error with a 64GB card. The DA380-2015-01-21-01 also gives a memory error.
My G1W-H also has the last one and it didn't "complain" when I put the Transcend 64GB in to record the dashboard reflection eliminator's video. In fact, I didn't even thought about it, I just put the card in the camera, turned it on, formatted the card and started recording. :cool::)
Maybe some firmwares won't work with the SanDisk card and the 2014.0504 (I believe you're referring to the 0504 and not the 0509) will.
Just out of curiosity and for the sake of a "research", was the SanDisk formatted in-camera or in the computer and was it formatted to FAT32?

The SanDisk was formatted in the PC using guiformat.exe to FAT32 with 32k allocation unit size and occasionally formatted in the camera as well. Same result regardless of the combination. I can confirm it is ...0509 firmware. Today I tried LS300W 20130328 and that gave a memory error. Right now I am trying LS300W 1306130-sc-2 which appears happy with the 64GB card.

Talking of allocation unit size, the camera is OK with 32K and 64K but not 16k or below.

The SanDisk was formatted in the PC using guiformat.exe to FAT32 with 32k allocation unit size and occasionally formatted in the camera as well. Same result regardless of the combination.
So the 0509 formats 64GB cards in FAT32? Interesting.

I can confirm it is ...0509 firmware.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been gathering G1W-H compatible firmwares over time and I only have the 2014.0504, hence my doubt. :)

Getting some trouble out of my g1w's and Im hoping a firmware update will help
How do I determine which firmware I have? I assume it's in the menu?

I want to upgrade but just not going to hapen right now.

thanks

Back