G1WH can take firmware from DOD LS388W, Shadow GT300W 1306180 and others

I know it's a long thread and many people don't have the time or the will to read everything but at some point in the discussion people started reporting that renaming the files FWDM800H wasn't working for them and there were cases where other names worked, so the first post became outdated. Since it's the first thing many newcomers read, that first post gives them the impression that it's the only way to change the camera's firmware.
I didn't have to change the file name too, because my G1W-H works with the name DM800H, which is the name of the original G1W-H firmwares found in the zip file on this thread's first post, but some people had to change those firmware's name to S1088 in order to be able to flash their G1W-Hs. The other two compatible firmwares (DOD and Shadow) have different names, so these ones always have to be renamed.
Just to give you an example of the randomness of these files, my G1W-H has the 2015.0121 firmware, which is originally named FWDM800H.bin, but in reality is a DA380 firmware. The latest DA380 firmware update, linked by @De-Occultist, is originally named FWS1088.bin.

That's why we always tell everybody to never take anything for granted with these firmwares and their names until you see which one the camera accepts, regardless of what's written in this thread.

Last edited:
Will any of these updates work on the G1W the one in the wife's car is running 2014.06.05.01

Will any of these updates work on the G1W the one in the wife's car is running 2014.06.05.01
It's a G1W, not G1W-H, right?
Except for the one posted earlier by @De-Occultist, all the other ones are not really updates, they're just alternative firmwares. In fact, most of them are older than the one on your wife's car camera.

It's a G1W, not G1W-H, right?
Except for the one posted earlier by @De-Occultist, all the other ones are not really updates, they're just alternative firmwares. In fact, most of them are older than the one on your wife's car camera.

Yes it's a G1W I just wondered if they would have worked.
It occasionally doesn't start up and then when it does its lost all the time & date settings so wondered if a different firmware would solve the issue.

Yes it's a G1W I just wondered if they would have worked.
It occasionally doesn't start up and then when it does its lost all the time & date settings so wondered if a different firmware would solve the issue.
The only ones that worked on my G1W were the Carscam WDR650 and the Givoe, but they're old and none of them was better than the original.
You're problem seem to be related to a dying battery.

I've uploaded a video of the G1WH running firmware G1WH-DA380-2014.11.28.03 on youtube here -

The quality is decent but the reflection of my dashboard and ford quickclear, heated windscreen do cause some issues.

I might test some other firmwares on the same road to test the quality, let me know if anyone is interested.

Ordered a G1WH from Spytec on amazon.ca, and it would only update the firmware if the file was named FW96650A.bin. Tried FMDH800H.bin and FSW1088.bin, and it wouldn't load.
It originally came with 2015.1028.11 firmware.
Loaded the 2016-01-07 firmware.
It appears to be working fine with an Adata 64GB, though I suppose I will really find out after it has to write past what a 32GB card would hold.

Hello, just jumped on the dashcam bandwagon.
I picked up the G1W-H and it seems I got a good one. (Amazon spytech)

Would like to know the preferred ROM and settings for best picture.
Not worried about file size, got a 64gb and it works just fine :) and no corrupt saves!

It came with a 2015 ROM (Sorry can't remember which variant)
My night time MOVs are really dark, even in the headlights.

The max res on this rom is 12m (would like 15m if I could)
Is the LS388W the best route to go still?

Thanks!

Hello, just jumped on the dashcam bandwagon.
I picked up the G1W-H and it seems I got a good one. (Amazon spytech)

Would like to know the preferred ROM and settings for best picture.
Not worried about file size, got a 64gb and it works just fine :) and no corrupt saves!

It came with a 2015 ROM (Sorry can't remember which variant)
My night time MOVs are really dark, even in the headlights.

The max res on this rom is 12m (would like 15m if I could)
Is the LS388W the best route to go still?

Thanks!

I used the Da380_2015.0121 ROM. With the G1WH from spytek, it had to be named FW96650A.bin or it would not flash.

Ordered a G1WH from Spytec on amazon.ca, and it would only update the firmware if the file was named FW96650A.bin. Tried FMDH800H.bin and FSW1088.bin, and it wouldn't load.
It originally came with 2015.1028.11 firmware.
Loaded the 2016-01-07 firmware.
It appears to be working fine with an Adata 64GB, though I suppose I will really find out after it has to write past what a 32GB card would hold.

Can I ask where you got the 2016 firmware from.. can find it?
Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the links
uhm... no matter what I rename the file to, it wont update.
(FWDM800H.bin, FW96650A.bin, or FWS1088.bin)
Maybe because I have a 64gb card, and can only format it exFAT?

Can I up date it from the computer? every time I plug it it, it has the
options for mass storage or camera.
If I plug it into the car, it turns on and starts recording right away.

Alright, I got it, downloaded software and formatted FAT and it flashed right away.
Thanks, and sorry for clogging the thread :(

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have updated my G1WH to the 17th Feb 2016 firmware and all flashed fine.

I have some previous dash cam footage from my old firmware on my computer and in my opinion it looks a lot sharper than this new firmware.
I have checked the bitrates of both firmwares and the old one is 'Data Rate 14665' and 'Total Bitrate is 15177', the new firmware shows it as 'Data Rate 14736' and 'Total Bitrate 15248'. So there is hardly any difference between new and old firmware.
The new firmware in my eyes is a lot more grainy.
I viewed both old and new footage on my tv while driving and I viewed footage of driving down a main road with vehicles traveling in the opposite direction, I paused several times on each lot of footage when the cars were almost to the right of the viewing picture and looked at the number plates.. On the old one you can make out a good 95%+ of number plates, on this new one it nearer to 10-20%.....
Somethings definitely been altered on the new firmware in my opinion.
Can anyone else confirm this who have installed the new Feb 2016 compared with older firmwares..
Thanks and look forward to hearing you replies...
Hustler

UPDATE:- Took the car for a spin around our area and there picture brightness drops dramatically whenever you change direction.. Its not good at all.... Ill be trying to revert to the old 21/01/2015 firmware....

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have updated my G1WH to the 17th Feb 2016 firmware and all flashed fine.

I have some previous dash cam footage from my old firmware on my computer and in my opinion it looks a lot sharper than this new firmware.
I have checked the bitrates of both firmwares and the old one is 'Data Rate 14665' and 'Total Bitrate is 15177', the new firmware shows it as 'Data Rate 14736' and 'Total Bitrate 15248'. So there is hardly any difference between new and old firmware.
The new firmware in my eyes is a lot more grainy.
I viewed both old and new footage on my tv while driving and I viewed footage of driving down a main road with vehicles traveling in the opposite direction, I paused several times on each lot of footage when the cars were almost to the right of the viewing picture and looked at the number plates.. On the old one you can make out a good 95%+ of number plates, on this new one it nearer to 10-20%.....
Somethings definitely been altered on the new firmware in my opinion.
Can anyone else confirm this who have installed the new Feb 2016 compared with older firmwares..
Thanks and look forward to hearing you replies...
Hustler

UPDATE:- Took the car for a spin around our area and there picture brightness drops dramatically whenever you change direction.. Its not good at all.... Ill be trying to revert to the old 21/01/2015 firmware....
Data rate isn't everything. There are a lot of things a different firmware can do to a camera it wasn't created for, including processing what the sensor captures in a whole different way.
I tested all the existing compatible firmwares in this thread when I was using my H and some did that, some didn't. All the DOD and Shadow firmwares turned everything black when the sensor was exposed, directly or indirectly, to bright sunlight. I ended up using the DA380, which is probably the same one your camera came with. The camera performed the same way as with the original firmware but the picture quality was a bit better and it bumped the data rate to 15Mbps.

Hi Module 79L... The Feb 2016 one is a DA380 , the filename is G1WH_DA380_2016-02-17_01.zip.

I used this as I originally had on the G1WH_DA380_2015.01.21.01 so I thought it might have ironed out a few of the problems with the older firmware...

Ive flashed back with the 21.01.2015 firmware now so hopefully everything will be back to normal...

The only thing I liked about the Feb 2016 firmware was the was that the files were all saved in one folder and not multiples with random filenames like the 21.01.2015 one..

The only thing I liked about the Feb 2016 firmware was the was that the files were all saved in one folder and not multiples with random filenames like the 21.01.2015 one..
Then that 2015.0121 isn't the same that's in this thread, because mine created a folder called DCIM and inside it there were the individual folders for each day with the respective video files.
What were the folders and file names yours created?

The 2015.0121 firmware that i have creates an individual DCIM folder then random folders for example on there now are several folders with names 10060429, 100200426, 14100425, then as you say there are individual files inside each folder with the dashcam footage... As I said in my previous post, these are multiple folders with random filenames.. I know the last 4 digits are the date 0429, 0426, 0425, but what are the first 4 digits?? The latest firmware just creates one folder and then all files were saved in there from 2 or 3 days usage..

Those are the normal folders and they're not random. As you already found out, the last 4 digits are the date. The first 4 represent the sequencial folder order. If you empty the card every day the folder's name will always start with 1000 but if you keep the files in the card, each day the firmware creates a new folder in sequencial order: 1001, 1002, 1003, etc.
However, that 14100425 folder seems off. Do you, by any chance, have the G-sensor activated?

Back