Genuine G1WH For 42.49$

Not the same thing.
That only works with standard lenses, not wide angle.
It'll block FOV on dashcams if you add a tube to block sun glare and if it's too short, it won't block any glare.

That's not true Sunny. There are many other factors having to do with the type of hood, its depth and the type of lens. Although it is indeed different with a telephoto lens the same principles apply. Your graphic with the arrows is not a real world example of how light travels.

Here is a snapshot of the camera with the DIY 35mm film canister lens hood.

hood.jpg

Here is a screen shot from the above camera. - No restrictions or vignetting of the FOV.

capped2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay.
How far does the tube extend from the lens surface?
I doubt it's blocking much sun glare if it's short.

Look at the picture and then look at a photo of a G1WH and you can get an idea of how much it protrudes. Maybe half an inch or so. It is quite effective at blocking oblique rays of light. I adjusted the depth of the lens hood to be the absolute maximum possible without intruding into the FOV.

Edit: Here's a profile view of a G1WH that should show the length of the camera lens barrel compared to the photo with the lens hood. Notice where the ribbed edge around the lens barrel stops and where the rear of the lens hood begins in the other photo.

profile.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see how removing the polorizer at night would be forgotten and be a problem. Thats a good idea but it wouldn't fix my issue.
She gets very strong reflections in the windshield from the Black, Plastic Chevy Cobalt Dash... Maybe I can get a video up.

Edit: Nice Image Quality!

Yeah, I can see how removing the polorizer at night would be forgotten and be a problem. Thats a good idea but it wouldn't fix my issue.
She gets very strong reflections in the windshield from the Black, Plastic Chevy Cobalt Dash... Maybe I can get a video up.

Edit: Nice Image Quality!

Granted, you may indeed really need a polarizer but the nice image quality you mention (better contrast in this instance) is in part a result of the DIY lens shade and it is a worthwhile simple to achieve mod. I'm sometime surprised by the difference with or without a lens hood and wonder why more manufacturers don't consider this common camera feature in their designs.

There's lots of good discussion here on DCT about different approaches to polarizers. Perhaps start out experimenting with 3D movie glasses material. The challenge with polarizers on an automobile windshield is that the oblique reflection angles are constantly coming from changing directions that defeat the functionality of a polarizer unless it is re-adjusted.

Last edited:
Update 7/7/2014:
Now G1WH costs just 42.49$ with f54ded coupon!
Enjoy :).

Last edited:
BTW, is this quality normal from G1WH?
License plate of opposite traffic is completely blurry.
I was expecting better quality from NT96650 dash cam.
It was flashed with LS388W firmware.
Video:
Screenshot below:
g1whscreenshot-gearbest-png.6017

Attachments

• g1whscreenshot-gearbest.png
    g1whscreenshot-gearbest.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the blurry license plate, the whole image looks really poor compared to other examples from the G1WH. The image is not well exposed and has poor shadow detail. It has pixelation (look at the yellow line in the road - or what is supposed to be a yellow line) - and is over-all blocky as if from low bit rate. It is also out of focus. On the other hand, as you should know by now, you can't adequately judge a dash cam from YouTube videos.

BTW, it is really not yet clear if GearBest is actually selling a genuine NTK 96650 version of the G1WH but FWIW, they are currently offering it for $39.99 with coupon code G1WHDVR.
G1WH.png

Forget the blurry license plate, the whole image looks really poor compared to other examples from the G1WH. The image is not well exposed and has poor shadow detail. It has pixelation (look at the yellow line in the road - or what is supposed to be a yellow line) - and is over-all blocky as if from low bit rate. It is also out of focus. On the other hand, as you should know by now, you can't adequately judge a dash cam from YouTube videos.

BTW, it is really not yet clear if GearBest is actually selling a genuine NTK 96650 version of the G1WH but FWIW, they are currently offering it for $39.99 with coupon code G1WHDVR.

g1wh-gearbest-nt96650bg-chip-jpg.6019

Here is the innards of Gearbest G1WH.
It does have NT96650BG but the video quality is pretty bad.
Not sure why. May be the light conditions or just because US license plates are smaller than European ones.
It doesn't look much of an upgrade from my C600.
I'm tempted to cancel the order before it's too late and wait for Ambarella 7 models.

Attachments

• G1WH-gearbest-NT96650BG-chip.jpg
    G1WH-gearbest-NT96650BG-chip.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Update 7/7/2014:
Now G1WH costs just 42.49$ with f54ded coupon!
Click Here for G1WH
Enjoy :).

Doesn't work.
It shows the same $46.69 after coupon drops it by $3.30 from $49.99.

Edit: Coupon code: B25627 works instead.

Last edited:
That's not true Sunny. There are many other factors having to do with the type of hood, its depth and the type of lens. Although it is indeed different with a telephoto lens the same principles apply. Your graphic with the arrows is not a real world example of how light travels.

Here is a snapshot of the camera with the DIY 35mm film canister lens hood.

View attachment 5720

Here is a screen shot from the above camera. - No restrictions or vignetting of the FOV.

View attachment 5721

Could you please measure the film canister lens hood?
I'll give it a try once I get the dashcam.
thanks

It would probably be a waste of time measuring the DIY lens hood I made because my camera is an older Shadow GT300W and has a different lens in it than the one you are likely to end up with in G1WH, even though both cameras have nearly identical shells. Simply spend a few minutes doing a little trial and error cutting down of a film canister on your own until it is the deepest possible depth (about a half inch past the lens) that doesn't cause vignetting. If your G1WH allows you to connect it to a PC as web cam then this is the easiest method because you can see in real time how trimming the film canister lens hood is working. This is a very easy project and should be no big deal and will work much better if you customize it for your own camera rather than using my measurements.

One suggestion. I painted my DIY lens hood (and camera) with flat black paint (I happened to use Rust-Oleum camo paint which is best of class "ultra" flat). This seemed to dramatically improve the functioning of the lens hood because those old black Kodak 35mm film canisters are a little shiny.

Last edited:
It would probably be a waste of time measuring the DIY lens hood I made because my camera is an older Shadow GT300W and has a different lens in it than the one you are likely to end up with in G1WH, even though both cameras have nearly identical shells. Simply spend a few minutes doing a little trial and error cutting down a film canister on your own until it is the deepest possible depth (about a half inch past the lens) that doesn't cause vignetting. If the G1WH allows you to connect it to a PC as web cam then this is the easiest method because you can see in real time how trimming the film canister lens hood is working. This is a very easy project and should be no big deal and will work much better if you customize it for your own camera rather than using my measurements.

One suggestion. I painted my DIY lens hood (and camera) with flat black paint (I happened to use Rust-Oleum camo paint which is best of class "ultra" flat). This seemed to dramatically improve the functioning of the lens hood because those old black Kodak 35mm film canisters are a little shiny.
Oh okay.
I thought you have the G1WH.
I might use 34mm-37mm ring with a 37mm cpl filter instead but canister idea is cheap and easy to try.
thanks

Here's another tip about using a 35mm film canister as a lens hood. The old lid from the film canister makes a great lens cap!

Today, I took my Toyota pick-up truck in for service and learned that I needed to leave my vehicle with the dealership for an unexpected emergency factory recall. The repair will take awhile and they are providing me with a rental in the meantime. So, I had to remove my GT300W from the windshield and it was great to be able to protect the lens with a snap-on film canister "lens cap" that I happened to have in my glovebox from another film can.

View attachment 6018

It could have been the youtube compression for that quality.
Another buyer uploaded raw file and it looks much cleaner.
https://mega.co.nz/#!nZ5FwBqQ!E5Zj0fsqO_IPmgl85j0g9siIckdrK3pd-nRsFvSQ1LE

Back