Ghost image with HDR turned off

I've run my V3 under firmware 2.0, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5 Mod and 2.6 Mod and with HDR off. Also, all at 30fps, high bitrate and native 2560x1440.

None of the above when used for a single frame can match 1.03

This HDR double exposure, caused by adding in a dummy frame just doesn't work for me. I've seen high speed screen grabs here from 2.6 Mod in daylight that are close but I just couldn't get it to work for me, roadside furniture was always double exposed.

If you are going HDR it have to be simultaneous frames, and not consecutive frames, but i dont think this is supported in the SOC maybe not even in the sensors.

I do like to play with bracket photographs, just you can not take photos of things that are moving much even if the 5 photos are taken pretty fast.

The single photo the camera ( dji osmo action ) want to take on full auto.
cb2e07a15ad096cd624fef2a3c29ff32e8d696f0.jpg

The same picture i made up using 5 photos with different EV settings, i could have mixed these in any way, so foreground could have been brighter if i wanted to, but i like this the most.

8ba2c55ceecc9e4182da377b100c1ac9e3ac4c91.jpg

I think these days most modern phones use this kind of photography to give the user what they expect, i hear some phones can take XX photos and combine them,,,,,, though not sure how that would work on something fast moving.

The little Dji camera can take either 3 or 5 consecutive photos, each with a slightly different EV setting,
You can also do this with the camera in the hand if there are plenty of light.
257642474d201e92b1b2a288bcb2fc484bf94abe.jpg

44b65d8a3994eea39f338d0ee95fa6a62c803c15.jpg

Make photos more interesting / dynamic that just a single fire and forget photo, though in mu case it do require a bit of work in post processing

Last edited:
I know my Sony cameras have DRO (Dynamic Range Optimisation) which relies on image processing to balance extreme light and dark areas in an image. This does not use multiple images but obviously only works for stills.

Dynamic Range Optimizer/D-Range Optimizer (DRO)​

• The DRO function analyzes the contrast, and produces an image with optimal brightness and recovered shadow detail. This function can be used while the subject is moving or during continuous shooting. The image may appear noisy because the image is corrected with image processing.

The software i use to stitch photos together can also compensate for any little movement in the frame, as i recall it is called Aurora HDR ( i have not played with it in a while )
I think Photoshop ASO also have this feature. but of course i would not own such a horrible program that is misused by so many people causing so much grief and pain.

The software i use to stitch photos together can also compensate for any little movement in the frame, as i recall it is called Aurora HDR ( i have not played with it in a while )
I think Photoshop ASO also have this feature. but of course i would not own such a horrible program that is misused by so many people causing so much grief and pain.
Aurora HDR by Skylum is excellent software. I dumped Photoshop along with all my other Adobe apps years ago and now use Affinity Photo.

Drifted off topic, sorry ;-)

I have now downgraded the firmware to v1.5 and with HDR set to off, all double ghost images are now gone.
Fingers crossed this bug is rectified in v1.7

Many thanks for everyone's help and input (y)

As you often read with windows updates, and also often BIOS updates to computer motherboards " if you are not experiencing problems you might want to leave this update alone "
Though in general i do keep my stuff updated, and i cant say i have run into many problems due to that over the years.

So just for the sake of completeness now I am running v1.5 firmware, I turned on HDR for my morning commute.
I was expecting to see the double ghost images but much to my surprise there are none.
So it would seem v1.5 never turns on HDR and v1.6 never turns it off :ROFLMAO:

I will be sticking with v1.5 as I can now read 95% of the number plates under all lighting conditions.
Whatever else v1.6 gave me I can live without.

Does HDR only apply to the front cam or also the rear one?
It will be front only.

For HDR on the rear, you would need a rear camera that supports HDR, which I don't think the current one will.
No reason why the front camera can't support a rear camera that uses HDR though, if such a camera existed.

Does HDR only apply to the front cam or also the rear one?
I think it only applies to the front.
I researched many things in detail last year including memorizing and cramming specs (which I have already forgotten by now since my purchase) when I was looking to make my first dashcam purchase and I vaguely remember HDR being only a front only endeavor.

I'm not sure that IMX291 is even capable of HDR.

Yeah I just did a quick test and I don't see the HDR in effect, but I've found a few sources online that claim the IMX291 itself is capable of HDR. If it is, I don't know if Viofo has chosen to implement that feature (yet).

Here's one site where they compare the IMX307 (used in the T130's rear cam) and the IMX291 (used in the A139's rear cam), and to quote the article:

However, unlike IMX291, Sony IMX307 doesn’t support wide dynamic range (or HDR).

Perhaps they were referencing WDR and were saying HDR is similar to HDR since many people are familiar with that acronym?

Here's another site saying the IMX291 has HDR, but again I'm not totally confident that info is correct.

Last edited:
Yeah I just did a quick test and I don't see the HDR in effect, but I've found a few sources online that claim the IMX291 itself is capable of HDR. If it is, I don't know if Viofo has chosen to implement that feature (yet).

Here's one site where they compare the IMX307 (used in the T130's rear cam) and the IMX291 (used in the A139's rear cam), and to quote the article:

Perhaps they were referencing WDR and were saying HDR is similar to HDR since many people are familiar with that acronym?

Here's another site saying the IMX291 has HDR, but again I'm not totally confident that info is correct.
Not sure that I trust any of those websites that you cited...

Screenshot 2022-06-11 1.59.12 AM.png

Summary
IMX290: Multiple exposure-type WDR and DOL-type WDR
IMX291: Multiple exposure-type WDR only.

I'm guessing that either "DOL-type" WDR is some specific form of "HDR", or "HDR" itself...or maybe neither of both sensors support HDR at all since a search for term "HDR" in the datasheet that I linked turns up nothing!

Here is the data sheet for IMX335 which prominently advertises "HDR" in it's specs list.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that either "DOL-type" WDR is some specific form of "HDR", or "HDR" itself...or maybe neither of both sensors support HDR at all since a search for term "HDR" in the datasheet that I linked turns up nothing!
Sony used to use the term WDR for what we think of as HDR, it is not WDR as we know it with a single exposure.

Not sure that I trust any of those websites that you cited...

View attachment 60737

Summary
IMX290: Multiple exposure-type WDR and DOL-type WDR
IMX291: Multiple exposure-type WDR only.

Here is the data sheet for IMX335 which prominently advertises "HDR" in it's specs list.
Thank you. Yeah going straight to the source is a great idea.

I didn’t see any HDR artifacting or dynamic range boosts in the A139’s rear cam so it looks like it’s not in use either way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mentadent A139 2