Girl who ran stop sign totals my car :*(

housecat

Reaction score

I hoped I would never have to use my dashcam (GT300W) because of something like this. But it sure came in handy now.

The story is that I was driving 30mph (which is the speed limit) and a girl driving an SUV slowed down at a stop sign but seems to have ran the stop sign, pulling right in front of me very quickly. I couldn't have known if she was going to see me and stop or keep going. I had a very short time to respond, and in that time I attempted to brake as much as I could. But it was too late, and I could not decelerate in time.

The girl's excuse is that she did not see me. The impact caused a minor injury to my right foot. I visited the doctor and it's only soft tissue damage, an x-ray shows no obvious bone damage.

Thank God your ok.

Thank God your ok.
Yes, thank you. My car did a great job of keeping me safe. I had my seat belt on and the air bags deployed. My neck didn't hurt at all afterwards, just my foot.

I am glad your ok and with the video no problem proving what happened. You know what they say get back in and keep driving all the best.

dpick1947

Very good video evidence.

Glad no one injured..
Today's parenting...a friend gave her daughter a Mustang Cobra at just turned 18...totalled in 3 months.

Ouch! I hope nothing else other than your foot is wrong.

Not much else you could have done to avoid the accident.

Only way i see to avoid that crash would be to drive overly defensive, but that will only piss off other drivers on the road, and make your traveltimes go up by a factor of 2.

Does the video have any sound?

I wonder if you would have ended up sharing part of the blame if you didn't have that video evidence. People make up all kinds of crazy facts when you have zero video evidence.

Even without making anything up quite often people don't know exactly what happened, particularly when they're not paying full attention, are distracted etc

What lessons have you learned from this wreck that you might share?
Have you test-driven any cars with accident avoidance tech? I've driven the xc60 which will automatically slam the brakes on if you do not lift from the throttle, for instance.
Have you thought about your tire/rubber? I know I always buy the most expensive tires I can -- usually from Tire Rack. Rubber controls you on the road, inches might mean LIFE or death.
Has this made you re-think the car you drive? RSX is fairly smallish. How'd it hold up? I wrecked a Honda Accord 96 at 55 mph last year, and surprisingly only had to buy three parts off ebay to repair it. all bolted on, no frame bent. Only hours after getting a new >$1000 air conditioner put in it! Doh!
I always try to ponder, and think hard about what I learned and why I didn't die from this or that. (like esophagus cancer and wrecks and such)

Back