Git2 recording time

ChrisB

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I've been testing my new Git2 and it seems to stop recording when the file size reaches 4GB, (on 1080 60fps this is 20 mins). But shouldn't it automatically start a new file and keep recording? I can't find anything in the settings to enable this. Otherwise I guess I need to cut down the resolution and/or frame rate which I don't really want to do. How else can I record for say 60 mins or so (I have a 64GB SD card)? Anyone else have this problem or figured out a way to record for long periods?

Thanks, in anticipation

Chris

turn loop on and it will keep recording
Thanks, I'll try that. I want to use this to record some instruments in an orchestra while they are playing long pieces of classical music. I just need to test that I can combine each separate video file later without any gaps in the sound!

yes you can create a seamless recording even though it creates individual files, think of it like chapters in a DVD movie, it just makes things easier to navigate

I had no idea of this. My awful Sony AS30V did this gapless (The gap between videos was not noticeable when played a video playlist. It was good)

So Loop must be enabled? right?
For gapless recording, loop must be enabled, but be aware that if it runs out of space on the memory card then it will start overwriting the oldest video files.

i could have sworn that when i used my git1 and git2 for skiing, both of them just kept on rolling even when they hit the 2gb or 4gb limit - it just started a new file and kept going. and i am certain that i had loop turned OFF specifically because i didn't want to lose any footage.

and when i tested the battery life of the git1 by pointing it at a clock and starting the recording, i had several 2gb files in a row with no gaps, showing the clock moving normally. again, with loop off.

Uff that's not good at all!

I think this behaviour should be changed via firmware in the future. I mean, after the file reach its maximun lenght/size, inmediately start a new file.

The "loop" is a workaround but not exactly the same since it overwrites the files.

Thanks for the info.
It only overwrites the oldest file once the card is full, the alternative if it didn't do that would just mean that recording would stop, in either situation when you got to that stage you'd want to swap the card out

I did the test and the recording stopped at 4GB limit.

I can't use Loop because i don't want to have a lot of small video files all over the sd card.

I don't find this very logic, i think the camera should keep recording new 4Gb files until I press stop.

small files are easier to manage and index faster, from your other thread where you are asking about the camera locking up while reviewing files, are these files 4gb each also?

I did the test and the recording stopped at 4GB limit.

I can't use Loop because i don't want to have a lot of small video files all over the sd card.

I don't find this very logic, i think the camera should keep recording new 4Gb files until I press stop.
10 minute loop recording files are not small, especially when set to high bitrate.

It is the way all dashcams work, perfectly logical, and if played in a dashcam player will play seamlessly as one video.

Hello Jokiin,

How do you export them to a single file? I am new to the camera scene and the video editing.

Thanks in advance...

Thank you for the info Jokiin, I will try Register Viewer out next week and let you know how it goes.

Back