GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

We are still trying to make the capacitor version can also use the battery, but it is very hard, the size is limited, and the charging circuit is different.
Maybe will help a Menu setting for choosing the Capacitor or the Battery?

enjoy,
Mtz

My idea would be to use caps and small battery together, caps fixed and battery swappable. So if battery gets too hot, just jank it out and continue on caps.... But I guess I'm asking for too much again..... Haha.... :)

Technically that is......

Anyway, from what I have seen so far, the dark hours are not to my satisfactory yet. Not even for 109.90 bucs. But it is tempting nonetheless.....

The road sign warned me of "cycles crossing", I think it should have said "cyclists crossing"!
With that illegal number plate I would have expected him to go a bit faster :rolleyes:

This was recorded with "Normal" quality 4K 30 fps and sharpness set "High",
which gives 8 hours record time on a 128GB card so practical for a full day of driving.

The road sign warned me of "cycles crossing", I think it should have said "cyclists crossing"!
With that illegal number plate I would have expected him to go a bit faster :rolleyes:

This was recorded with "Normal" quality 4K 30 fps and sharpness set "High",
which gives 8 hours record time on a 128GB card so practical for a full day of driving.

How are you getting on with high sharpness? I tried it yesterday and found it gave much better results in low light than medium sharpness.

On this subject I find the functioning of the sharpness algorithm quite unusual

The low setting is clearly unusable (a boiled mixture with artifacts) and the high setting has a very good resolution in smooth textures, but in return with fairly pronounced artifacts typical of a low quality sharpness.

A normal functioning of the sharpness would have been desired, until then I am also in high setting where I find that F1 gives all its potential

How are you getting on with high sharpness? I tried it yesterday and found it gave much better results in low light than medium sharpness.
So far I have only tried it with "Normal" (Low) quality which might not be a fair test, but it seemed OK, I will leave it on High for now. I wasn't very impressed by low sharpness.

These are Medium and High sharpness frames taken at night, both on superfine quality in 4K30. There's no car motion in either frame.

Medium Sharpness
xhnPDte.jpg

High Sharpness
n4GY6oX.jpg

High has a lot more noise, but it also resolves detail that is softened in the Medium video.

upload_2017-12-16_23-28-31.png upload_2017-12-16_23-26-17.png

Nothing new here? No one using the f1 for dashcam?

Nothing new here? No one using the f1 for dashcam?
Or maybe nobody is having any problems?

Only problem I've had is that a BMW did an overtake across the stripy boxes where you are not supposed to drive so get covered in debris and it flung a small stone into my windscreen directly in front of where the F1 is mounted, so now there is a stone chip for it to look through and the image is not as good as it was! It did capture the very high speed and rather blurry stone in flight, but only visible in 3 frames.

I still think the standard lens is a bit too wide for a dashcam, the 90 degree lens version with super capacitor is the one to go for, but I've not seen any footage yet...

Or maybe nobody is having any problems?

Only problem I've had is that a BMW did an overtake across the stripy boxes where you are not supposed to drive so get covered in debris and it flung a small stone into my windscreen directly in front of where the F1 is mounted, so now there is a stone chip for it to look through and the image is not as good as it was! It did capture the very high speed and rather blurry stone in flight, but only visible in 3 frames.

I still think the standard lens is a bit too wide for a dashcam, the 90 degree lens version with super capacitor is the one to go for, but I've not seen any footage yet...

Exactly my point, thanks for your reply. I mean, when a dashcam has great night recording I'd expect at least some online footage, but I can't really find any gooduns....

I am still waiting for narrower lens...

I think a lot of the extra pixel resolution is being wasted on a 160 degree lens. Fine for flying it, maybe not so great for dashcam use. If it's an M12 fitment, the lens can be removed, and you want to take a gamble, there are lenses on Alibaba that claim they are low distortion, rectilinear and may fit.

I think a lot of the extra pixel resolution is being wasted on a 160 degree lens. Fine for flying it, maybe not so great for dashcam use. If it's an M12 fitment, the lens can be removed, and you want to take a gamble, there are lenses on Alibaba that claim they are low distortion, rectilinear and may fit.
A few F1 owners have tried a 4mm 100deg lens. I found the results to be acceptable for dashcam use.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-f1-4k-with-100°-f2-0-lens.33322/

Did anyone try this mounting kit with F1?
http://www.gitup.com/mounts/53-suction-cup-mount-kit-for-gitup.html

I tested it briefly and it looks like it just works for my car (XC90) but it may not work for everyone.
GitUp sent one to me when I was testing the F1. I found that it does work ok, but I prefer a ball joint for easier adjustment in all directions. I also noticed that the snap-in plate with the threaded socket on the F1 cradle has a little bit of side to side movement, so the F1 doesn't feel rock solid on any of my 1/4" mounts. If a spare cradle was available, I would glue the snap-in plate to the cradle on one of them.

Has anyone compared F1 to Thieye E7? So far I am impressed with E7 in day time.

Which one does better in low light?

I would love to see some type of optical magnification(2-4x range) put on dashcams. I have been playing around with after market magnification lenses but there are no small ones. They significantly obstruct field of view with a bulky one(I tried with adapter 37mm thread with 2.2x lens...).

I would love to see some type of optical magnification(2-4x range) put on dashcams

One of the Lukas dshcams have optical zoom, automated in some way as i recall, dident explode on the market.

Its far better to put in a second dashcam with a modified long range lens. the 12 mm lens i use are smaller than or same size as the original.

I'm guessing probably the price was a factor:

https://lukashd.co.uk/product/lukas-qvia-z970-wd-zoom/

It's up there in mid range SLR price range, so it's likely at that price there are very few people who can justify spending so much on a dashcam. Interesting product though. Not sure I'd want something that expensive or large on my windscreen though.

I would love to see some type of optical magnification(2-4x range) put on dashcams. I have been playing around with after market magnification lenses but there are no small ones. They significantly obstruct field of view with a bulky one(I tried with adapter 37mm thread with 2.2x lens...).

you might want to check out these threads for some ideas
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-5mp-varifocal-zoom-6-22mm-ƒ-1-6.34263/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-telephoto-dashcam.31523/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back