GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

I am inclined to think the F1 share lens with the G3 front camera though if you look at its specs it say FOV 170 degrees "Main: F2.8 Aperture, 5G 2M glasses"

Maybe the good folk's at gitup can enlighten us, maybe do a little corrections on their page if its wrong.

Last edited:
Probably use the 90 degree lenses they already have in their assortment.

In the technical specs it do say "Angle of View: 160°5G 2M" and in the picture below it say F2.8 5G + 2G

I dont think that 2M in the technical specs refer to the lens used are a 2 megapixel one, that could entail some problems for a 8 megapixel sensor.

It is weird cuz just 5 glasses in a lens are pretty low so i do think its a "7" glass lens
Not sure what the "M" stands for but I think the other 2 are aspheric elements instead of normal cheap glass elements, maybe 'M' = Molded glass?
I am inclined to think the F1 share lens with the G3 front camera though if you look at its specs it say FOV 170 degrees "Main: F2.8 Aperture, 5G 2M glasses"

Maybe the good folk's at gitup can enlighten us, maybe do a little corrections on their page if its wrong.
Note that even if it has the same lens, which is a good guess, it will have a different diagonal field of view due to the sensor being 16:9 aspect ratio and the G3 being 4:3.

Yeah i got to think about the different sensors in those 2 cameras and that might account for 160 degree FOV in one and 170 degrees with the other sensor.
Anyway 160 degrees are plenty for my liking even as a action camera setting.

I hope the gitup crew are running around to capture even more demo footage for us camera addicts.

Need to see real low light nighttime footage.Would be also nice to see how this Sony IMX317 sensor compares to IMX291 Starvis in low light.
As far as FOV goes wouldn't this 160 degree FOV version be better in low light than 90 degree FOV?

Need to see real low light nighttime footage.Would be also nice to see how this Sony IMX317 sensor compares to IMX291 Starvis in low light.
As far as FOV goes wouldn't this 160 degree FOV version be better in low light than 90 degree FOV?
It is supposed to be an action camera / FPV camera and they are normally used in daylight, preferably when it is sunny.

While it may do better at night-time than most 4K action cameras, you shouldn't expect too much, it is not going to beat a Starvis camera when mountain biking under moonlight!

It is supposed to be an action camera / FPV camera and they are normally used in daylight, preferably when it is sunny.

While it may do better at night-time than most 4K action cameras, you shouldn't expect too much, it is not going to beat a Starvis camera when mountain biking under moonlight!

Yes but they advertise that this should have better low light performance than many actioncams and this IMX317 sensor is used with many low light security cameras.In GitUp published screenshot it has better low light capture.

In daylight it is very easy to get good video with most cameras,in low light nighttime it is entirely a different matter altogether.
I do at least 80% of my video at low light nighttime and have been really wondering why there are practically no good pocketable sized fast to use action cams.Who says that that video is mainly supposed to shoot at daytime when there are at least as many dark hours and even more happening many times?

This F1 size should not be any obstacle to fit large enough sensor so that it would be possible to get very good low light performance.I wonder why there are no this sized Starvis cams on the market?They could use Starvis in F1.

I surely hope that this has much better low light performance than Firefly 8S which had one of the worst.My Firefly Q6 had much better nighttime performance than 8S and costed much less.Also I really like F1 and Q6 form factor much better.

For over 2 years now I have been trying to find a pocketable point and shoot type of cam that most importantly has at least a decent low light nighttime performance.No joy of having 4K if one cannot see anything but completely dark frames.

We will upload some low light comparison with other A12 chipset cameras.
This is what we have done comparison with SJ7 2 month ago with early firmware.

More bright, and more noise.
F1 testing.jpg

Not sure what the "M" stands for but I think the other 2 are aspheric elements instead of normal cheap glass elements, maybe 'M' = Molded glass?

Note that even if it has the same lens, which is a good guess, it will have a different diagonal field of view due to the sensor being 16:9 aspect ratio and the G3 being 4:3.
The other 2 are aspheric elements, but it is also glass, not plastic.

Many user ask low light video sample for F1, I made a quick simple testing near the office.
Please watch in 4K mode.

Many user ask low light video sample for F1, I made a quick simple testing near the office.
Please watch in 4K mode.
That looks good for a quick test compared to the SJ7. More to see in shadow areas. Better control of highlights. Less motion blur.
I can't watch in 4K though as I only have a 1080p monitor.

Last edited:
Please watch in 4K mode.

Thank you!!

4K/60 is stuttering, (not the internet connection, I have 100Mb/s), 1080/60 is fluent.

One could argue about this clip not being low light at all, there are LOADS of bright streetlights, but the last bit shows darker area (where we can see more light with F1 compared to SJ7). But i.m.h.o. the comparison should really be to Viofo A119 or JooVuu X, or other great night recording camera's, but It does seem promising!

Although I believe night recording should be done in 30fps in ANY resolution, nevertheless, it looks pretty good!

Thank you!!

4K/60 is stuttering, (not the internet connection, I have 100Mb/s), 1080/60 is fluent.

One could argue about this clip not being low light at all, there are LOADS of bright streetlights, but the last bit shows darker area (where we can see more light with F1 compared to SJ7). But i.m.h.o. the comparison should really be to Viofo A119 or JooVuu X, or other great night recording camera's, but It does seem promising!

Although I believe night recording should be done in 30fps in ANY resolution, nevertheless, it looks pretty good!
Looks good to me (haven't noticed any stuttering at 2160p60) Did noticed the difference in sound volume.

The Sj7 do okay when the street lights are there, but as soon as you turn away from those it start to loose out.
Also i would take noisy footage where you can at least see something over dark footage where you cant see anything, not sure if NR in the A12 chipset can be tuned to do more in those situations.
But will be interesting to see how Gitup progress with the F1 and G3 cameras

Thank you!!

there's no stuttering, try downloading the file instead of trying to stream it, if you still have stutter it's your PC, it's very smooth here

Slick as snot on a doorknob here too.

And looking again and closer the F1 seem more crisp than the SJ7 even with the streetlights.

Thank you!!

For A119 series, we are still tuning the IQ, and will have some good news in next month.
I agree with you for night recording should be done in 30fps.

F1 was clearly better.more details in streetlights and darker areas.
Yes I will definitely take more noise and see something than no noise and not see anything other than darkness.
30fps seems to be the lower limit when on the move like walking around,lower than that video get too jerky especially in low light.
I hope there will be some kind of quick recording start setting as all actions cams should have that so when something happens it wont take several seconds to start recording and miss the action.
I think I`m interested in getting this F1. Is there going to be any discount offers upon release?

F1 was clearly better.more details in streetlights and darker areas.
Yes I will definitely take more noise and see something than no noise and not see anything other than darkness.
30fps seems to be the lower limit when on the move like walking around,lower than that video get too jerky especially in low light.
I hope there will be some kind of quick recording start setting as all actions cams should have that so when something happens it wont take several seconds to start recording and miss the action.
I think I`m interested in getting this F1. Is there going to be any discount offers upon release?
F1 support quick start recording, once enabled, short press the shutter button once to power on and start recording immediately.
Also F1 support turn on remotely via bluetooth remote control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back