gitup git3 or 4 request!

Does a bigger lens still need a autofocus mechanism?
To get away without a focus system you need the lens to be in focus from about 1 meter to infinity. Preferably a bit closer, 1 meter is a bit far to reach for a selfie and with a wide angle lens 1 meter is too far for a portrait, most of the image will be background.

Most of the current action cameras actually focus from around 0.8 meters to infinity so they are already about at the limit of not needing a focus mechanism. The action camera format was only created because the small sensors that became available a few years ago made it possible.
  • A bigger sensor reduces the DOF,
  • A narrower angle lens reduces the DOF,
  • A wider aperture (bigger lens) reduces the DOF.
So if you want the camera to stay an action camera, you need to stay with a small sensor, wide angle and a small lens. That doesn't mean that low light sensitivity can't be improved, more sensitive sensors like Sony's starlight sensors are becoming available, but at the moment action cameras seem to be heading towards more megapixels instead of more sensitivity. Having used the Git2 for a while now, the 16 megapixel photos are very nice to have, as is the gyro stabiliser which also needs plenty of megapixels to work well. A starlight action cam would be nice to have but there would not be much market for it so we will probably only see those sensors used in dashcams in the near future where high megapixel figures are pointless but night time sensitivity and short exposure times are very important.

So if you want the camera to stay an action camera, you need to stay with a small sensor, wide angle and a small lens.
This means for me that any camera with these specs will produce just a 4K resolution number, not a 4K quality expected by the buyer. Right now for me 4K is just a marketing number.
Because we are on DCT I can say Git1 is a great camera to be used as dashcam sometimes. The only thing missing is 60FPS and the GPS.
Compared to an action cam we expect much more hours to be recorded on the card and with more available fps and higher resolution these hours are reduced a lot. Finally the dashcam will become a blackbox which was recording the last moments of something. Koreans have from many time ago dashcams with loop recording durations starting from 30 seconds.

enjoy,
Mtz

thank all for explication . New stuff learn here.

I am thinking what shape (form factor) to have the case of the next model because I am not a fan of GoPro style?
The GoPro idea is more like a photo camera not an action cam.

enjoy,
Mtz

For me the shape is second to a better picture quality in low ligth environment with high frame rate capacity . That why I requesting a bigger size sensor, with the posibility of interchangable lens , maybe the c mount lens. For me it is more about what it can do for filming than pictures. So a sensor that can go up to 4k max resolution.

For me the shape is second to a better picture quality in low ligth environment with high frame rate capacity . That why I requesting a bigger size sensor...

You'd like a larger pixel pitch, not necessarily a larger sensor.

It would be great to see someone make an action cam/video sensor at 4k, and skipped all the other options to the point of just having 4k at [24-60]fps. Have a basic mode for everyday users, and allow advanced mode for manual iso/shutter/bitrate/ tweaks. If someone wanted 1080 or 2k, downscale after downloading.

Latest Sony starlight sensor such as IMX291/290 have a sensitivity exceding those of current 1/1.8 sensors CS mount.
And sensors such as the IMX323 have improved sensitivity compared to imx322/222 while the overall sensor package size has been reduced to 1/8 size(actual light gathering area is the same,so lens size will be same) So it may help cameras with mobius formfactor in reducing the size.

...And sensors such as the IMX323 have improved sensitivity compared to imx322/222 while the overall sensor package size has been reduced to 1/8 size(actual light gathering area is the same,so lens size will be same) So it may help cameras with mobius formfactor in reducing the size.
The sensor is certainly smaller, but I don't think it is any more sensitive, except for infra-red light...

IMX323%2Bvs%2BIMX222.JPG

The Git1 is good value as a good low light 1080 dashcam. There is no GPS and it uses a battery, but otherwise it is a good dashcam, and the battery only takes 10 seconds to change so that's not a big issue. Plus it is always ready for you to grab it off it's mount and use it as an action cam, then when finished, put it back on it's mount to recharge and carry on as a dashcam.

I am thinking what shape (form factor) to have the case of the next model because I am not a fan of GoPro style?
The GoPro idea is more like a photo camera not an action cam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Same opinion here. I really don't like brick styled camera on my helmet and this is the only reason I am still using my Ghost-S. Would be more than happy if Gitup would announce something in Gopro Session format.

Latest Sony starlight sensor such as IMX291/290 have a sensitivity exceding those of current 1/1.8 sensors CS mount.
You will see this soon on one of our dashcam, but not the GitUp brand, low light performance is good, good for dash cam.

Same opinion here. I really don't like brick styled camera on my helmet and this is the only reason I am still using my Ghost-S. Would be more than happy if Gitup would announce something in Gopro Session format.
It seems the Drift style is not selling well, but of course this is better the GoPro style if used on helmet.

Tue go pro style is good for me. What is the brend gitup or you reffering?

Thank you

Actually you can tell the difference of a 4k video and a 1080p video, even with a smaller sensor. The problem is youtube does not show you what it looks like in a good way, they have compression and so on. But if you download these clips and check them out, remember you need a fast computer to view it, or good graphics card that supports hardware acceleration. But you can tell that 4k is just amazing for scenery shots, big wide shots etc. When you are shooting things close up, 4k does not do anything I think, no big deal. But for these wide outside view, incredible. And if you view it on a computer screen you can tell how good it looks, you do not need a 4k TV.

Go to end of page and download the sample clips !
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_review/sample_images/

That is from a micro four thirds sensor, or a "1 inch sensor" as they are more or less same in size. I think that this is probably the limit of what a action camera can use in terms of sensor size, power consumption, size of the camera, the lens etc. Larger than that and there will be issues with how big the camera is and how much power it will need to record a decent length of time. This issue is less of a problem for a dashcam as they are (at least in cars) powered from the car when running. And you could have a camera like the mobius where you can separate the lens and sensor, and install the camera hardware in another position or box, so you only have the tiny cameras for picking up video and sending it to the unit. This is not possible with a dedicated action cam as it will be one unit in it self, just like a DSLR camera. And even the DSRL cameras have issues with 4k video, battery life, focus problems and so on.

Z-CAMERA E1

A nice camera, but way to many problems, I would consider buying that to get 4k with a large sensor, but only if it had a fixed lens and focus, otherwise I could just get a DSLR, plus that camera is expensive so is it justified, I would say no as you can get a DSLR that will give you much more for your money. Just like dedicated video cameras have been pushed back by the popularity of DSLR. If a action camera is to expensive it will not sell, so what is the point of bringing a product like that to the market. Does not make sense business wise.

Z-CAMERA E1 is a professional camera intended for a specific market, might work, but for the home user, naaaa, to expensive, better with 4k gopro or something else.

It's so funny to watch bikers riding round with these cams atop their helmets - always reminds me of
Les-mains-dans-les-poches!.jpg

Is it too much to ask that manufacturers start looking at the stealthy option - at least fix the lens to the smallest end (Mobius, innovv etc)

It's so funny to watch bikers riding round with these cams atop their helmets - always reminds me of
Is it too much to ask that manufacturers start looking at the stealthy option - at least fix the lens to the smallest end (Mobius, innovv etc)
Maybe in future we will release smallest version, but don't have much interesting to build it with current hardware, waiting for better hardware.
It is not good to release too many similar products.

No need for a special gitup for people riding bikes (as least motorbikes with helmets),
the mobius is better option for that, as you can remove the lens or modify it easy,
to be used on the side of the helmet.. This will not be possible with the gitup, gopro or similar cameras.

I do not understand why bikers put the cameras on the helmet, you can just as well
put it on the bike it self, and then also using a custom mounting to prevent jello in
video and so on. After all, the most interesting parts are what is going on in front
of the bike, an if you have a quick swap, toremove it you can point it to where you need to.

Or better still use both a gitup2 and mobius, one on the bike and the other on the helmet !

This is something I would like in the gitup3

http://www.ambarella.com/news/91/74...K-Ultra-HD-SoCs-for-Sports-and-Flying-Cameras

H12 supports both 4Kp30 Ultra HD HEVC and AVC video encoding. It integrates a 1GHz single-core ARM® Cortex®-A9 CPU with floating point and NEON™ to provide the processing power required for customer applications including flying camera flight control and wireless networking. Its de-warp capability allows the use of wide-angle lenses with minimal image distortion. H12 also supports the live video streaming of a second, low-delay Full HD video stream.

Interesting indeed, and with that smaller chipsize, less power, less heat, it is just perfect for actioncams.

Wonder if it is much more expensive than the novatek chips ?

H2 & H12 do indeed look interesting :cool:

Might be somthing we will see in high end gopro and phantom cameras, sensor support is proberly limited a lot.

For helmets I expect more an idea like shark antennas, more like this:
lalang-car-shark-fin-antenna-wind-power-led-warning-light-bulbs-black.jpg
but with not so evident shapes and smaller lens. Camera to be mounted on a sliding mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz, haha yeah, that was a nice thing actually, or at least I would expect the makers of helmets to start
including build in standard tripod mountings in the helmets, on the sides, top etc. So you could mount
a camera easy and more secure.

Anyone riding a motorbike should have a dashcam and ordinary bikers to, the people driver cars
are the most crazy ones. They have so much road rage too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
I Git3 8
A Git3 13
Back