gitup git3 or 4 request!

daoust

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, i ask to know if the next future , there is any plan on using bigger sensor size more oriented to videos. Maybe something more like the blackmagic for the sensor size? The git1 and git2 for a action camera look like to be a good bet and i m waiting for my git2 to arrive but for a real video camera , does gitup will try to make a product for this. What others whant in the next futur from gitup?

That one is much higher lever action cam. Before we have some discussion about that.
For so expensive camera, if the brand is not well known, it will be hard to sell it.

Yes as I read more about blackmagic I realized that I put the bar up too fast , but is it posible to do something with a 2/3sensor 4k instead of the famous 1/2.33. Is there any interest in bigger sensor? Does with a sensor of that size you will have to change your gopro size cam? Will it be too expensive for your market.

Thank you

Yes as I read more about blackmagic I realized that I put the bar up too fast , but is it posible to do something with a 2/3sensor 4k instead of the famous 1/2.33. Is there any interest in bigger sensor? Does with a sensor of that size you will have to change your gopro size cam? Will it be too expensive for your market.

Thank you
Before move to use a bigger sensor, we plan to release some other different cams, not GoPro size.

Yes, also I agree with bigger sensors dedicated to videos. The biggest problem I see on dashcam is reading car license numbers during night. Having big sensor I expect during day to be much better regarding this compared to smaller sensors, but if during night will be even more brighter?

But GitUp is dedicated to action cams even it can be mounted in the car and work perfect as dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, also I agree with bigger sensors dedicated to videos. The biggest problem I see on dashcam is reading car license numbers during night. Having big sensor I expect during day to be much better regarding this compared to smaller sensors, but if during night will be even more brighter?

But GitUp is dedicated to action cams even it can be mounted in the car and work perfect as dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz
nocturnal predators have big eyes. giant telescopes are needed to gather light from ever farther away. bigger sensors generally collect light better as well. the only down side is the device itself ends up being bigger and needs a longer focal length (or more lenses). but it's worth it if it means better IQ at night.

Does a 2/3 sensor 4k is something to much expensive to be one day a option for a action cam

Does a 2/3 sensor 4k is something to much expensive to be one day a option for a action cam
The Git2 already does true 4K photographs but the chips are not quite fast enough to process true 4K video, currently you need bigger and faster chips that would not fit and they would also use too much power for a little action camera. Another year or two and they will manage it.

Currently, most cameras don't get near the best quality possible from HD resolution video so 4K isn't going to give a big improvement, even if it did, you will need to upgrade your TV and then your eyes to see it properly, so it is not really a big benefit! H265 encoding with it's better colour depth etc will be the next real improvement to video quality and that is probably only about a year away.

Currently, most cameras don't get near the best quality possible from HD resolution video so 4K isn't going to give a big improvement, even if it did, you will need to upgrade your TV...
THIS. People don't understand that you'd need an absolutely MASSIVE television to tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p (4k) at the distance most people watch TV.

That said, I wouldn't mind a 42" 4k monitor on my desk at arm's length. to me, 20-22" is about the perfect size for 1080p on my desk, so 42 seems about right for doubling each dimension. of course then i'd need to upgrade my computer (or at least the video card) to be able to push that many pixels.

since my couch is a lot more than an arm's length away from the screen, even the 46" tv currently in my living room showing 1080p is a waste. I have something like 20/15 vision (don't need glasses, never had lasik or anything), and i can just BARELY tell the difference between 720p and 1080p from my couch. i'd need something like a 100" TV to make 4k actually worth it. right now it's a bit of a marketing gimmick, kinda like 3d was when it first hit the market.

THIS. People don't understand that you'd need an absolutely MASSIVE television to tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p (4k) at the distance most people watch TV.

the TV is less of a problem I think than the average computer and editing software that people have, look how many people have already struggled with 1296p files and end up running their cameras in 1080p

the TV is less of a problem I think than the average computer and editing software that people have, look how many people have already struggled with 1296p files and end up running their cameras in 1080p
Guess I'm lucky I don't have that problem yet. don't own any cameras that can do over 1080p.

#FirstWorldProblems :rolleyes:

well i just checked and i don't see a straightforward way to change the project settings to anything higher than 1080p60 in kdenlive, my preferred editing software. i bet there's a way if i modify a conf file or something, but not worth it right now.

once i get a Git2 i want to try zooming in on its higher resolution video and see how it compares with 1080p taken at the same time by the git1. hopefully kdenlive will let me do that. regardless, the thing i'm looking forward to the most from the git2 (besides the improved mic) is 1080p60 and the gyro. not much point creating content >1080p since not many people can watch it yet, myself included. i almost bought one of those dell 32" 4k monitors till i saw they had horrible refresh rates at 4k (like 15hz or something).

When I ask about a bigger sensor , it is more about the low ligth filming quality . My request about the 4k is because it looklike to be the next standart in video. But I m not looking for anything bigger than 4k even for pictures to keep the pixel as big as posible. Am I the only one that whant those spec for a camcorder?

In my view low light performance is by far the largest challenge for dashcams, larger resolutions and daytime performance and fancy features is secondary to me.

i almost bought one of those dell 32" 4k monitors till i saw they had horrible refresh rates at 4k (like 15hz or something).
Needs to be at least 24fps to qualify as a UHD 4K TV, but when you have a gyro smoothing the movement it looks a lot better at 60fps.

When I ask about a bigger sensor , it is more about the low ligth filming quality . My request about the 4k is because it looklike to be the next standart in video. But I m not looking for anything bigger than 4k even for pictures to keep the pixel as big as posible. Am I the only one that whant those spec for a camcorder?
The main problem with a bigger sensor is that it reduces the depth of field, you then have to add an autofocus mechanism which takes up more space and increases the cost and then it becomes a standard compact camera instead of an action cam!

really good 1080 monitors still cost a small fortune, but you do seem to be able to get a fairly good one for a fair price.

When i got my 22" CRT screen it was pretty cheap and i still payed somthing like 7 - 800 dollars for it.

The main problem with a bigger sensor is that it reduces the depth of field, you then have to add an autofocus mechanism which takes up more space and increases the cost and then it becomes a standard compact camera instead of an action cam!

Does a bigger lens still need a autofocus mechanism?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Git3 1
Z Git3 2
BCHobbyist Git3 23
I Git3 8
A Git3 13
Back