Give your Mobius some shades.... (anti glare filter)

Great idea. I expect it would be hard to hide when using a wide angle lens, but may still be worthwhile despite that. :cool:

Great idea. I expect it would be hard to hide when using a wide angle lens, but may still be worthwhile despite that. :cool:

There is a downer, when set to wide, you can indeed see the clips that hold the sunnie......

And this afternoon I tried the yellows, no good... maybe they're of use in the night. Will try that later.

Last edited:
There is a downer, when set to wide, you can indeed see the clips that hold the sunnie......

And this afternoon I tried the yellows, no good... maybe they're of use in the night. Will try that later.

Unless the yellow lenses are polarized they're unlikely to do much to ameliorate reflections. Yellow eyeglass lenses reduce the amount of blue light entering the eye and can enhance acuity and cut down on glare but this has more to do with how the human eye perceives light. The human eye is most naturally adapted to detecting yellow light because of the high ratio of yellow light emitted from the sun, compared to others. This means that yellow lenses make things appear brighter and clearer. Yellow glasses enhance contrast, improving your ability to distinguish between objects and find edges which is why they are popular for shooting sports like trap and skeet shooting.

It will be interesting to hear what effect the yellow lens may have on a dash cam at night but my hunch is that it won't do anything useful.

I'm still confused what is holding on to the Mobius?

Did u use the small or large glasses?

I'm still confused what is holding on to the Mobius?

Did u use the small or large glasses?

I can't make it any more clear than this:

wp_20160308_09_02_50_pro-jpg.21372

wp_20160308_09_04_18_pro-jpg.21374

As to the size, it doesn't matter, you have to cut to size any glass.

Last night I tried the yellow sunnies, it doesn't remove any glare at all, maybe in the best case scenario you might find the whole picture more convenient to watch, but in hindsight my opinion is that it's not worth the trouble.......

The clip is upside down, but you get the idea. At 11 sec the yellow goes down, later it goes up again. I've been turnig the yellow in all angles, but none of them was effective.

The whole thing considered is that I decided to turn back to this method:

WP_20160309_23_13_16_Pro.jpg WP_20160309_23_13_46_Pro.jpg

I used a universal cpl filter set for phones (with clip), removed the glass, and used a spare lens cap to glue on the glass (carefull with the glue...) and used aluminium tape to make sure it doesn't come off, and stays put on the lens cap. A bit of a fiddling is needed, and I haven't documented it so you need to use your imagination.

When the sun is disappearing when it's getting dark I just take off the filter, hopefully I don't forget to take it off, or loose it....

Last edited:
I can't make it any more clear than this:

wp_20160308_09_02_50_pro-jpg.21372

wp_20160308_09_04_18_pro-jpg.21374

As to the size, it doesn't matter, you have to cut to size any glass.

So you bent the bars that held the glasses to fit the mobius with a set of pliers? Which holds on to the mobius' lense?

So you bent the bars that held the glasses to fit the mobius with a set of pliers? Which holds on to the mobius' lense?

yeah dude... :rolleyes:

but be careful, its a thin strip, probably aluminium, and you might damage it because of the holes in it...... the holes are weak spots....

I think they are indeed polarized but they are way too dark.

He is talking about Ebay.

And yes I tested with my Ray Ban P and they were not polarized.

I just wasted $1 that hungry African children could have eaten :(

Sorry, I missed that. I thought you were both talking about the initial DIY project itself. My bad.....

He is talking about Ebay.

And yes I tested with my Ray Ban P and they were not polarized.

I just wasted $1 that hungry African children could have eaten :(

I'm sorry to hear that it's a dissapointment, but please understand there are of cours different grades of shades.

The ones I bought are not very dark, but do the job nicely. You can also buy different colors, I have seen brown, black/grey, green and yellow. Now the yellows do nothing for you in daylight, and even in night time they're pretty much useless.

I used grey/blacks, but suppose the greens are very usable too.

Have you put the shades on your glasses (or just on the eyes) in the car to check if the glare does actually indeed disappear to determine the polarising factor?

You could perhaps spend another buc on a less dark one? You already made the clip!

And I must say it looks great!

I think they are indeed polarized but they are way too dark.

Have you set all wb settings to auto/standard etc? Mobius does crank up the exp value with the shades on, might be worth a check.

One of the lightest tint polarising filters I've seen is the one Jokiin sells with his Street Guardian camera. I've seen day/ night footage and it barely makes any impact on the night vision. The B+W CPL I've used on one of my Mobius kills the night time vision and I've tried in the past to compensate with the settings but it didn't help.

Back