Going to wait

I don't have a dash cam. I have been considering purchasing a dash cam for the past several months. I'm in no hurry. ;)

We don't know for sure whether an individual person will experience an incident, but we absolutely can estimate the risk (or "likelihood") for the average driver of experiencing an incident, based on numbers of incidents that occur over time and then estimating whether having had dashcam records would have made differences in the outcomes.

A dash cam is like an insurance policy, it's there when you need it but you hope you never do. Based on your logic, why don't you go ahead and cancel your automobile collision policy? ;)

Wait! So you've been a member here for over five years and you don't even own a dash cam! Why are you even here on this forum handing out opinions?

Was hoping at least 10% since Amazon is not involed
Amazon fees are about that, sending direct the freight is dearer than what they get through Amazon plus any credit card fees etc, in the end their cost difference would be about $10 or very close to it, sounds about right, want a bigger discount buy a dearer product where the numbers are more significant I guess

No worries, just not buying into it. Holidays will be here,Amazon flash sales and the items are pretty near half price. I would not give a discount at all if I was just making 10 bucks.

A dash cam is like an insurance policy, it's there when you need it but you hope you never do. Based on your logic, why don't you go ahead and cancel your automobile collision policy? ;)

Wait! So you've been a member here for over five years and you don't even own a dash cam! Why are you even here on this forum handing out opinions?
Read my past posts. I had a dash cam for 4 yrs (and the two times I would have liked to have gotten recordings from it, it didn't help). Haven't had one for past 1 yr.

But you don't have to have a dash cam to be able to figure out that average risk of an incident over a 16-week period--let alone an incident whose outcome would be altered by having a dashcam record--is close to zero.

There are figures out there, for instance, that the average driver in the US will file an insurance claim for a collision about once every 16 - 18 years. (These are older data, but more recent numbers probably aren't dramatically different.) Then ask how many of the claims outcomes are affected by the dash cam record.

should have bought last week when the Prime day sale was on
I was not looking then, so yes I missed the boat, maybe one of the retailers will feel bad for me and send me one and I will give them a great review and positive feedback. In my dreams right.. like I mentioned I am in no rush, I will buy one when the price is right

Return shipping on an iPad was only $1? Wow, you really lucked out. I think Amazon generally refuses to repay return shipping costs if you are returning an item for reasons they don't consider to have been their fault (such as the item was damaged or the wrong item was sent).
The amounts were round about. Amazon did not charge me anything and sent me the return purchase invoice. Many people dislike Amazon,being a prime member there is no better way to shop. I bought and returned lots of items, they never give me a problem. As far as driving without a camera I rarely go any where these days. Being a disabled Vet,plus compounding my age now is just brutal to get out and about. Another reason Amazon is a god send for me, and in 2 days I have the item delivered to my door. I purchased my Tacoma December and I have 1500 miles on it,so that tells you I am a homebody. I usually only go out these days to doctor appointments.

Read my past posts. I had a dash cam for 4 yrs (and the two times I would have liked to have gotten recordings from it, it didn't help). Haven't had one for past 1 yr.

But you don't have to have a dash cam to be able to figure out that average risk of an incident over a 16-week period--let alone an incident whose outcome would be altered by having a dashcam record--is close to zero.

There are figures out there, for instance, that the average driver in the US will file an insurance claim for a collision about once every 16 - 18 years. (These are older data, but more recent numbers probably aren't dramatically different.) Then ask how many of the claims outcomes are affected by the dash cam record.

Your idea that a random person has "0%" chance of being engaged in a car accident over any random period of four months is simply poor logic. Actuarial science may be one thing but real life simply doesn't work that way.

And FYI there are more reasons to have a dash cam for protection other than car accidents. For example, a couple of years ago a young boy on a bicycle came racing out into moving traffic from a side street and I was able to panic stop just in time. If I had struck the child and a tragedy had occurred my dash cams (especially the side facing one) would have shown the boy's reckless behavior and exonerated me.

As for reading your old posts I'm really not too interested, nor am I interested in getting sucked any further into this foolish argument with you. If you don't feel you need a dash cam, that's fine but the vast majority of us here would likely disagree with you.

Your idea that a random person has "0%" chance of being engaged in a car accident over any random period of four months is simply poor logic. Actuarial science may be one thing but real life simply doesn't work that way.

And FYI there are more reasons to have a dash cam for protection other than car accidents. For example, a couple of years ago a young boy on a bicycle came racing out into moving traffic from a side street and I was able to panic stop just in time. If I had struck the child and a tragedy had occurred my dash cams (especially the side facing one) would have shown the boy's reckless behavior and exonerated me.

As for reading your old posts I'm really not too interested, nor am I interested in getting sucked any further into this foolish argument with you. If you don't feel you need a dash cam, that's fine but the vast majority of us here would likely disagree with you.
The feeling's mutual. (y)

The amounts were round about. Amazon did not charge me anything and sent me the return purchase invoice. Many people dislike Amazon,being a prime member there is no better way to shop. I bought and returned lots of items, they never give me a problem. As far as driving without a camera I rarely go any where these days. Being a disabled Vet,plus compounding my age now is just brutal to get out and about. Another reason Amazon is a god send for me, and in 2 days I have the item delivered to my door. I purchased my Tacoma December and I have 1500 miles on it,so that tells you I am a homebody. I usually only go out these days to doctor appointments.

I too find Amazon to be a godsend, in part because I live in a rural area where often many items are not available or if they are you pay through the nose for them. A recent example was that I needed a 92 inch 5/8 drive belt for a piece of equipment but none of the three local places I stopped at had one in stock. If they did it would have cost $40.00 or more and even a bit more if they ordered one for me. I went home and looked on Amazon and found exactly what I need for $19.95 delivered. Two days later I was back up and running. The same basic thing happened with a Kawasaki air filter I needed.

I too drive a Tacoma. I have it because I haul cargo quite often and need the four wheel drive often too. They are very capable (and fun) trucks for the size so I hope you get to eventually have cause to use yours for more than just going to doctor appointments. :)

I too find Amazon to be a godsend, in part because I live in a rural area where often many items are not available or if they are you pay through the nose for them. A recent example was that I needed a 92 inch 5/8 drive belt for a piece of equipment but none of the three local places I stopped at had one in stock. If they did it would have cost $40.00 or more and even a bit more if they ordered one for me. I went home and looked on Amazon and found exactly what I need for $19.95 delivered. Two days later I was back up and running. The same basic thing happened with a Kawasaki air filter I needed.

I too drive a Tacoma. I have it because I haul cargo quite often and need the four wheel drive often too. They are very capable (and fun) trucks for the size so I hope you get to eventually have cause to use yours for more than just going to doctor appointments. :)
I hope so too,but right now I do not do well, have a nice evening guys

I hope so too,but right now I do not do well, have a nice evening guys

Hope you get to feeling better soon ;) I guess I'm in decent shape for a 59YO who has abused their body in the past so no complaints, but time magnifies injuries and some days do get rough. Tomorrow can be better and as long as that chance exists I'll keep pushing on :cool:

Statistics only tell of probabilities, not of luck, and some of us have some pretty rotten luck which belies those statistics. Things happen as and when they do regardless of all the probabilities, sometimes unbelievable things. Twice I've been blamed for minor crashes where I wasn't at fault due to lies, collusion, and p-poor police work. Having a dashcam would have proven my innocence both times but I didn't have one then :( The odds are that you won't have my experiences once, much less twice, but if it happens without you having a dashcam.... well I hope your luck is better than mine.

And you get other benefits from dashcams- extra protection for parking and home, a bit of one-upmanship over neighbors and friends who don't have one (yet), and this nice forum with some great people to hang out with :) It can benefit others too which mine already has with one less-than-civilized neighbor who has chilled out after finding out that his foul mouth and threats were being recorded on my cams, and that has convinced at least one other neighbor to get herself a dashcam too. Folks tend to behave better when they know they are on camera and aren't going to get away with doing anything stupid. And it can provide some humor too. I have a small sign in the back of my van saying "Smile- you're on camera" under one cam back there. When loading materials at the store, the store worker saw it and smiled into it. My contractor asked what that was all about and we all had a chuckle when I said "He read my sign and did what it says. He can follow instructions- maybe you should hire him since half your guys can't seem to do that" :ROFLMAO:

So yeah, maybe wait for a sale but don't wait too long because you're not going to get benefits from not having a dashcam that you might get when you do have one.

Phil

Interesting posts here Guys!!

It is sure worth the wait, while you get all specifications and price of the product sorted. I took almost an year here, that is after joining DCT, before I finalized what to buy and finally bought my SG dashcam. There were many with better features, but members here would vouch for the support from SG and I had decided to go for it. It was beyond my budget, but that is usually a psychological thing, as after a while you get used to that number and eventually spend it. However, I mentioned my dilemma on DCT and was lucky to get a good offer. I am very happy with my SG.

My advice - don't pin too much on the sale, as you may not find what you really want, there. If you have decided what to buy and the dashcam evidence is really useful in the event of an accident, buy it now!!

Back