Good rear facing dash cam?

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
As the title suggests. I am looking for camera to mount on the rear windshield or headliner; facing outwards.

I tried using a A118C at the back; mounted to the headliner, but it's miserable.

I want it to be as discreet as possible, mounting on the glass doesn't work for the A118C or the Mini 0805 as they are clearly visible from the outside. ( Too many irrational hot-heads on the roads here, the last thing I'm looking for is getting into a situation due to the visible camera filming the driver following my vehicle.)

The back windshield

back (3).png

After going through the forums here, I'm contemplating on getting one from the following choices (inputs solicited):

1) Mobius or JooVuu X, or wait for the Mobius 2
2) Another SG9665GC for the back, mounted to the headliner.
3) Some dual channel system?
4) Any other single channel camera?

The dash cam should produce good video quality at night and be discreet + reliable.

Could the dash cam gurus enlighten me with what would work best for the rear install.

Last edited:
Guys, please help me with this conundrum...

e87f8aa979805333b3e569adb7ff3c92.jpg

3424532a3891314bb1251031692b46f4.jpg

a4b2ed5c565e7e671c97a234c6baca4b.jpg

8400be042be19c960a5f1ce88662b900.jpg

3eae6053c1fea33c2eca63c231a21e18.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Are these any good to judge, or I'll upload a video?

something mounted from the headliner might be easier to work with than anything that mounts to the window, hatchbacks are always harder to cable, something with a small profile like the Mobius or Joovuu would be the less distracting and less noticeable from outside as well, either one will need some sort of bracket made up but I don't see that being too difficult to handle

I think a Mobius stuck on the underside of the flat metal part in this picture would work, using one of the adhesive mounts.

(If I have the perspective right..... on the same plane as the 3 body panel plugs...round, oval, round)

3eae6053c1fea33c2eca63c231a21e18.jpg

The cam would end up under those two black bolts, and I think under the third brake light.

mobius.jpg

8a.jpg

I think that section is exposed when you close the hatch.

Last edited:
something mounted from the headliner might be easier to work with than anything that mounts to the window, hatchbacks are always harder to cable, something with a small profile like the Mobius or Joovuu would be the less distracting and less noticeable from outside as well, either one will need some sort of bracket made up but I don't see that being too difficult to handle

If I have no other option than using the headliner, planning on slipping four 25mm x 10mm x 2mm neodymium magnets under the headliner and using the same configuration on the outside stuck to the mount.

I can apply this to both the Mobius and SG form factor, the Mobius will obviously be more discreet. Will probably have to angle them down a bit somehow.

My question now is, keeping in mind the difference in cost and no local availability or service for either in India. Which would be a better choice, the Mobius or the JooVuu X? Or will the SG perform better at night than the other two mentioned?

I think a Mobius stuck on the underside of the flat metal part in this picture would work, using one of the adhesive mounts.

(If I have the perspective right..... on the same plane as the 3 body panel plugs...round, oval, round)

The area marked in white fouls with the view, unless I have a triangular wedge mount to fill the gap and push the lens further up to the glass. Plus putting it there complicates the wiring IMO.

1.jpg

Which camera would provide the best night-time video quality, out of what's available as of now?

Leaning towards the Mobius, for the lack of anything better that's discreet.

Is the standard A lens good for the back or is the C2 better?

Yes, getting the capacitor and the remote lens cable too. Hoping to come up with some sort of DIY with the remote lens cable which could be even more discreet, let's see..

Done.

1 x Mobius New Version Wide Angle Lens C2 1080P HD Mini Action Camera (985644) US$69.99
1 x Super Capacitor For The Mobius Action Sport Camera (918122) US$5.29
1 x 20cm 26PIN Lens Extension Cable for 1080P HD Mobius ActionCam (91830) US$5.29
1 x Mini Tape Mount Holder for Mobius Action Sports Camera (91750) US$4.17
1 x FPV Mobius Camera Fix Mount 25 Degree 3D Print for Lisam 210 QAV210 QAV180 Multicopter (1024388) US$4.82

Thank you @jokiin @dash riposki

Cool. Have you figured out your power source, yet?

I have the car charger from the A118C. That should work just fine.

It's hardwired using a fuse tap and soldered cigarette lighter socket.

The Mobius arrived a few days back, have mounted it using the 3D printed 25° tilt mount, pasted it to the metal part behind the headliner using 3M adhesive tape as suggested by @dash riposki

The 25° tilt is a little excessive in my opinion. A 15° tilt mount is on the way, which will add more stealth to the install and push the lens further up to the glass.

Will post photos of the install soon.

Settings: 1080p 30fps, wide.

Day

Night

The night footage isn't great at first look, will try tweaking the angle and settings to get a better result. Can't beat the Mobius when it comes to being discreet. Hope this works..

Last edited:
I'm just spitballing, since I've never done this and am just getting started with front cams. Couldn't you mount a Mobius or something similar to the inside pillar? It seems like mounting it to the headliner would be difficult and it would tend to be bouncy. A side pillar would provide stability and make the camera very discreet while still providing a clear view of what's behind you.

I've seen a few C pillar installs here but my intention is to get the lens as close to the rear windshield as possible without sacrificing discretion. For this the top center position should work well. Right now the lens is angled a bit too downward, I'm quite certain the 15° tilt mount will work as envisioned.

Rainy evening footage.

Average speed

Slow speed

Back