Google Maps in Dashcam viewer

London WitnessCam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119/A129, AZDOME
Hi everyone,
I just have a small query connected to a slight but annoying problem regarding the GPS data showing on Google Maps whilst viewing video files on Dash Cam viewer. I am using an A129 Duo Viofo camera and have taken a screenshot still image of video footage whilst my vehicle is stationary that shows the constant red lines cutting across the map imagery. This also happens whilst the vehicle is in motion and whether the rear camera is attached or not. Could anyone give me an idea of what the possible causes of this might be? I tried an older Viofo A119 camera too and it still happened even though I use the A119 in other vehicles and this problem doesn’t happen.
regards,
Rob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 11.44.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 11.44.45.png
    2 MB · Views: 74
probably a error in the code @traveler will fix this in no time so i have tagged him in so he find this.

I analyzed the video samples provided by @London WitnessCam. The problem appears to be a bug in the A129 Duo itself (perhaps GPS h/w or f/w).

Take a look at the longitude values for these 3 consecutive seconds of the sample video. In three seconds the vehicle jumps from 0.146787W degrees, to 81.116667W degrees, and back to 0.146898 degrees. The errant data point is both in the movie frame and in the GPS data stream. This explains the horizontal lines in Dashcam Viewer's Google Map display.

viofoa129-bug.jpg

The problem appears to be a bug in the A129 Duo itself (perhaps GPS h/w or f/w).
Concur. I had the same issue with an early SG9665GC where it would jump me from North America to western Europe and back. If I remember correctly it was an issue with the GPS unit related to switching satellites. I'll bet @jokiin can elaborate on the specifics of what happens.

I think jokiin just explained this in the "K2 shuts down" thread regards a different cam- it is when a satellite is lost or gained when this glitch occurs. Very short-term and self-repairing when the 'lock' on the satellites settles down again.

Phil

Concur. I had the same issue with an early SG9665GC where it would jump me from North America to western Europe and back. If I remember correctly it was an issue with the GPS unit related to switching satellites. I'll bet @jokiin can elaborate on the specifics of what happens.
that was with Registrator Viewer at the time?

Hi all again,
I've purchased another brand new Viofo A129 with GPS module and lead on it's own without a rear camera & with the previous firmware (1.9) still installed. I put a brand new formatted max endurance 128GB sandisk SD card in it and attached my original rear camera to it using the original wiring. I've just checked the footage having just been out and find that the lines across the google mapping are still appearing as before (see screenshot). I wonder if it could be the way I've installed my rear camera as I have a lot of excess rear cam wire collected just above the windscreen/windshield tucked away so it's just inches away from my main front camera?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 12.23.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 12.23.53.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
There's some possibility of interference with the GPS especially if the cable is coiled. If it's not hard to get to, try moving grouped part of the cable further away and see what happens. But TBH I'm expecting this to be the same- dashcam GPS units often do strange things.

Phil

...I tried an older Viofo A119 camera too and it still happened even though I use the A119 in other vehicles and this problem doesn’t happen.
It may be a coating on your windscreen (or even the glass itself) interferes with the GPS signal. Have you tried moving the GPS unit to different locations to see if that has any effect?

It may be a coating on your windscreen (or even the glass itself) interferes with the GPS signal. Have you tried moving the GPS unit to different locations to see if that has any effect?
It's a problem that only started happening recently. I've had other cameras in the car without a GPS problem like this & showed dashcam viewer google maps perfectly and they were positioned more or less right where it is now but I did reposition the rear camera wire so it might be that. I also wondered if it could be apple car play or the dab radio, the car software and mapping was updated recently too so that could be another cause I suppose

There's some possibility of interference with the GPS especially if the cable is coiled. If it's not hard to get to, try moving grouped part of the cable further away and see what happens. But TBH I'm expecting this to be the same- dashcam GPS units often do strange things.

Phil

The wiring for the back cam is coiled near to the front camera so I'll be repositioning that over the weekend I think

...I also wondered if it could be apple car play or the dab radio,...
I've heard stories of cameras/GPS affecting DAB but I guess it's possible the reverse could also happen. It certainly appears to be something specific to the one vehicle since the camera works elsewhere and other working camera 'fail' in this vehicle.

Have you tried moving the GPS unit to different locations to see if that has any effect?
The GPS is built into the mount on Viofo cameras, so not easy to reposition

I have a Viofo A119 V3. I've seen the same problem with Dashcam Viewer (Mac).

The above comments are right, when I investigated down to 1/4 or 1/8 speed, the coordinates of the A119 as shown in the video would temporarily jump which would then produce the problem on the Google maps in Dashcam Viewer.

Vadim adjusted his program to ignore the random spikes that would come when new sats came into view, they generally only last a second or so before it updates
If the author of Dashcam Viewer could do the same, it would solve the random spike from the Viofo's GPS data.

Regards,

The GPS is built into the mount on Viofo cameras, so not easy to reposition
doh (2).jpg

Forgot about that, I'm used to the external GPS of my cameras.

I have a Viofo A119 V3. I've seen the same problem with Dashcam Viewer (Mac).

The above comments are right, when I investigated down to 1/4 or 1/8 speed, the coordinates of the A119 as shown in the video would temporarily jump which would then produce the problem on the Google maps in Dashcam Viewer.

If the author of Dashcam Viewer could do the same, it would solve the random spike from the Viofo's GPS data.

Regards,

Yes, the problem is in the embedded data stream. I've got a workaround for the "spike issue" working in my latest Dashcam Viewer beta. You'll see it in the next release (v3.5.2). It will detect a point that's out-of-scope and replace it with an interpolated point.

Honestly, by masking these errors in the Viewer software we are just kicking the problem down the curb. The problem needs to be addressed by the manufacturer at the hardware and/or firmware level. A properly installed dashcam should not exhibit these issues. The GPS signal is rock solid and in the video samples I've seen there is clear FOV to the sky.

Yes, the problem is in the embedded data stream. I've got a workaround for the "spike issue" working in my latest Dashcam Viewer beta. You'll see it in the next release (v3.5.2). It will detect a point that's out-of-scope and replace it with an interpolated point.
That's great to have a workaround for the spike issue! :)(y)
Perhaps have a user option to switch on/off the workaround?

Honestly, by masking these errors in the Viewer software we are just kicking the problem down the curb. The problem needs to be addressed by the manufacturer at the hardware and/or firmware level. A properly installed dashcam should not exhibit these issues. The GPS signal is rock solid and in the video samples I've seen there is clear FOV to the sky.
Yes, totally agree that the problem needs to be fixed by the manufacturer at the hardware and/or firmware level.

While @traveler is correct, given the long history of this issue in dashcams I doubt that all the cam manufacturers will address it, especially those who offer their own proprietary viewers :( Lackluster performance of non-video features is the hallmark of dashcams and the video isn't anything special either. But it's all we've got so we go with it :)

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ackis A129 / 129 Duo 8
Back