GPS Interference

there is shield in nanoQ, will ask engineers to check th interference with frequency spectrograph again

@Rayman,
So this shield in NanoQ, Can it be removed to resolve to fix the GPS issue? Please advice, I like the dash but If I can fix it, I would like to try. I hate returning it. That was the gamble when I picked the NanoQ. I was hoping it was good to go. Wishful thinking on my end, TIA.

@DashLA
yes it is removeable, sit under the super capacitors.
Please wait for our analysis result on the interference so we can know what to do & how to do.

@Rayman,
Great, Thank you for the fast response. I will wait on your analysis. Any luck on the focus issue? I'm have a blurry image on the right side of the lens and it seems to be focus too close the the dashboard instead of the front.

Interesting. You might also test this with the dashcams running on battery power (if they have batteries?)
I'm wondering if the power/USB lead is acting as an aerial. Shielding the cable might help.

Any luck on the focus issue? I'm have a blurry image on the right side of the lens and it seems to be focus too close the the dashboard instead of the front.

this have been sorted on the end of last month.
our sales manager found this new focus problem in incidental (the old focus problem is the lens base), we re-focus and road test and re-focus and test in batch for almost one week then we found the reason finally. there are 4 locks at side and bottom of 0903, when the workers cover the housing, the front housing is not horizontal pushed, then the lens was extruded to side and then be offset from center in camera after assemble, so there is 10% area is not in focus. and this can't be found in front of ISO12233 wall. we have corrected the assemble process and added image corner inspection then.
when you guys want to refocus your 0903 on hand, please take care of this also.
the producing details are various, really make us agonising. But thank you very much you early adopters and our QA/QC/PE guys, you worked a lot to make the products and experience better and better. The camera can only be ordinary without your help.

Interesting. You might also test this with the dashcams running on battery power (if they have batteries?)
I'm wondering if the power/USB lead is acting as an aerial. Shielding the cable might help.

and maybe the WiFi radiation, maybe shield holes leakage, maybe internal cable as aerial, and so on
need engineer's test and analysis

@Rayman,
I don't want to return the NanoQ (we know that will take forever). However, I don't think I can do the re-focusing by my self (I have fat fingers:)). How would you suggest to fix the focus problem?

let me think.......
maybe you can ask @blake's help? who is also in US and he is a very kind&warm man.
if he need any replacing components we can deliver to him directly.

Tx Rayman, you are awesome.

So here is what I tried:

- replacement GPS module
- shielding (bottom of GPS, camera)
- different power source (USB power bank)
- separate camera and GPS module (extending cable from the mount)
- RF ferrite choke on GPS cable

Pretty much nothing worked. I've had some success when I separated power source for GPS and camera. I used two power banks and connected TX and GND to the camera. Most of the times the lock was instantaneous.

@Rayman.Chan probably your engineer will figure it out...

Wow Lacibaci, You'd saved me time in trying to fix mine. Right now, I would like to get the focus issue fix. I just want a decent video, is this too difficult to ask? I need to get Blake's help on the re-focus.

I've had a partial success in making this work. I say partial because I still need to wait for at least few days to make sure it it reliable.
I separated GPS module and also put a ferrite choke on the cable between the module and camera.
IMG_20160409_202531.jpg IMG_20160409_202616.jpg
Sorry @GRDIAN for bastardizing your 0806 mount :) It was the only enclosure I had.

I also shoehorned a GoPro mount - makes the whole thing to be very sturdy and easily removed at the same time.

So here are the takeaways from this project:

1. @Rayman.Chan still needs to find proper solution - this is just an ugly hack (if it works reliably)
2. The mount should really be modified so it can be used with GoPro (without the Deremel tool :|)
3. The GPS module is actually very sensitive, I literally wrapped the thing in foil and it still kept the lock.
4 Registrator Viewer does not display location. Yes, the GPS log has all correct entries (starting with "A")

You sir, are awesome. Making the extension, has the signal come back? I glued my go pro mount on top of the gps to make it exchangable between cars and keeping it in a small area. Having the extension gps sure help, but it add more stuff to the windshield.

You sir, are awesome. Making the extension, has the signal come back? I glued my go pro mount on top of the gps to make it exchangable between cars and keeping it in a small area. Having the extension gps sure help, but it add more stuff to the windshield.
We'll see whether it actually works. Permanent fix will almost certainly include some kind of hardware change. We'll have to see, what MEG will do for us...

My gps is still not working. Any luck on gps updates with Rayman?

Here is an update to the mod I did above (GPS Interference)
After four days of driving it seems it is working pretty well: Out of 14396 secs., the GPS had a fix 12681 secs. which is about 88%. Not bad, but not great either since I was driving 99% of time under clear unobstructed sky.

sorry guys we found the GPS signal receiving is 10db lower than it need, in the cameras we tested in lab.
the conductive interference which use charger cable as antanna made this happen.
yes the GPS can lock but the signal is weak so may lose connection at some area or some condition.
we are improving this and will update the further test results.

sorry guys we found the GPS signal receiving is 10db lower than it need, in the cameras we tested in lab.
the conductive interference which use charger cable as antanna made this happen.
yes the GPS can lock but the signal is weak so may lose connection at some area or some condition.
we are improving this and will update the further test results.
For those not familiar with dB scale, -10dB is about 70% signal loss.

Back