GPS Interference

ok, that's not really a valid test as such, the GPS only needs power to do what it does, it will pull a signal very quickly without the camera nearby but when you add the camera it's a hot start anyway which should be instant, if you power off while you're connecting it's a warm start after a few seconds which will also be close to instant, the camera as a cause of interference will far outweigh any interference from the cable that connects the two, someone asked in another thread why we use external GPS, situations like this is one of the reasons, having the GPS internal or very near to the camera as in a bracket mount is a lot more involved than people (some manufacturers included) appreciate
Obviously some manufacturers figured it out since there are a bunch of cameras with built in GPS that have no problems.

Obviously some manufacturers figured it out since there are a bunch of cameras with built in GPS that have no problems.

yes it's certainly possible and can work quite fine, different hardware can be better or worse for this, it is something that needs to be considered before putting pen to paper and working out what you want to build though, hardware choices, layout, design etc, all will have an impact to some degree on the end result

1. Remove camera from the mount.
2. Insert power cable to the GPS mount and wait about a minute.
3. Mount the camera and observe instant lock.

Lacibaci, in my case the situation is identical but not at 100% repeatable.
From time to time when I remove the camera from powered GPS mount and after 1 minute I re-fit it back on the mount I see the instant lock.
But after 30 sec I have GPS invalid again (very seldom I have GPS lock for more then 1 min).
On my camera right now I have done the shielding of GPS mount only. Tonight I thing to sold the capacitor into GPS mount (0.1mkf/100V) and I see what will happen

Ah, Painter, you mentioned UV protection film, but what do you think about the windshield heating layer between?
Because UV protection I do not have, but heating - yes
thanks

but from another side of view all other devices with GPS work normally (radar detector and navigator)

Ah, Painter, you mentioned UV protection film, but what do you think about the windshield heating layer between?
thanks
I believe the heating lines will not cause any attenuation to the gps signal. In any case if you use for example you mobile with a gps status application you can verify theexistence of adequate signal behind the windshield. Even if your windshield attenuates the gps signals the area behind the rearview mirror will be "clear" for installation of toll e-pass equipment.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

thanks

if it's an athermic windscreen yes this is a known problem and it will attenuate the GPS signal

if it's an athermic windscreen yes this is a known problem and it will attenuate the GPS signal
I really do not know if this is athermic or not, this is the standard windscreen with heating on the Ford.
But from another side of view I know that other GPS devices (phone, navigator and other) work normally under this windscreen.

I made yesterday complete modification of GPS mount
- capacitor
- hard shielding (I added aluminium foil at all as on the pictures of Painter) (back cover of GPS mount and USB connectors leaving clean GPS (G457) and the cover of it)

With no success. GPS lock is very weak and I can get it doing as described by Lacibaci only (removing the camera from the mount and after 1 min fitting it back)
All this seems really strange.

A quick search about the shielding performance of copper VS aluminum does not show significant differences (talking about same thickness). DIY shielding is also often used in guitar pickup casing with similar results between copper and alumin.
The advantage of copper is that you can also solder on it.

In your case I can think about a couple more possibilities.

The camera connection pad has three contacts, one contact for the negative, one for the positive and one for the serial Nmea data (GPS). In case one of the contacts is bended and doesn’t make proper contact all the time you should be able to notice it as the gps icon on the top left side of the screen would be missing. If it is there with the small red x meaning there is no gps lock then the connection pads are ok.

IMO the most important part here is the shielding of the camera case. I bought my Nanoq sometime back in June, the case of my camera had copper paint inside. I have seen in pictures in this forum that early units had no copper shielding at all. Could it be that your unit is one of the first ones with no shielding at all? If the camera case has no internal shielding at all then as with the video provided from lacibaci in the first post of the thread, you can see how much it interferes other gps units (like a mobile phone gps) in close proximity.

I made all modifications folloing Painter.
Nothing.
I have the camera with shielding of copper paint. In any way I proceeded with additional copper shielding with no any notable result.
I can get the GPS lock doing as described by Lacibaci only. If I do in this way for 30 sec I have the GPS lock. If not - no GPS,
I think the problem is another, in my case at least.
I am not sure if it makes sense to try to change the GPS mount...

I believe it worth to try external GPS antenna, or even GPS amplifier. GPS antenna is very cheap but will require to find a point of connection to GPS chip. GPS amplifier is not expensive too, and it doesn't require to be connected to GPS module but it will require power supply. Money question: $2 for GPS antenna and $10 for GPS amplifier on ebay.

did anybody try a new GPS mount? Is there any difference to lock GPS?
Mini 0903 New GPS mount.jpg

Last edited:
did anybody try a new GPS mount? Is there any difference to lock GPS?

I just checked the full story but not sure what is the reason of your problem. Is it possible to replace a new camera for you?

Hello. I have NANO 0903. and have problems with the GPS. GPS module is a new version.
problem with the cold start - no capture of satellites .but if you turn off - turn on the camera button "ON / OFF", there is a normal fast capture of satellites. then everything works well, hot start - excellent.or as here:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-interference.18361/page-3#post-289668
perhaps this is a problem firmware? my camera firmware "FIRMWARE-20160905".

Last edited:
Hello. I have NANO 0903. and have problems with the GPS. GPS module is a new version.
problem with the cold start - no capture of satellites .but if you turn off - turn on the camera button "ON / OFF", there is a normal fast capture of satellites. then everything works well, hot start - excellent.or as here:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-interference.18361/page-3#post-289668
perhaps this is a problem firmware? my camera firmware "FIRMWARE-20160905".
I observed the same behavior (in this thread) The manufacturer @Rayman.Chan was supposed to make hardware changes. Looks like they still have some work to do.

hardware changes or software?
very much hope that this software problem and they will soon be resolved.

then the question to the manufacturer : why I have a problem with my money? And as the manufacturer will solve my problem? in fact - the goods is not quality. this is very bad . why should I seek a solution to the shortcomings a product?
I did not buy it as a kit for creativity.

Back