GPS Operation Verification

MadMapMan

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Anyone got a method for verifying that the GPS receiver in the windshield mount for my mini0906 is working?

I have the mount powered from a hardwire kit (supply is OK) - and in turn, the mount powers the camera which records fine. But, I don't get any GPS indication on the display, or a green GPS LED or any log files/speed stamp etc. (Yes, I'm 99% sure all the cam settings are correct - and I'm running the latest FW I can find: 0906FW 20190828 V1.) Pressing the pwr and OK button doesn't bring up a GPS status display as suggested in the manual.

I'm thinking that the GPS unit is dead - but it has worked in the past, it's just very old now and possibly been cooked over the years in the hot AUS sun...

Suggestions appreciated.

MMM

Anyone got a method for verifying that the GPS receiver in the windshield mount for my mini0906 is working?

I have the mount powered from a hardwire kit (supply is OK) - and in turn, the mount powers the camera which records fine. But, I don't get any GPS indication on the display, or a green GPS LED or any log files/speed stamp etc. (Yes, I'm 99% sure all the cam settings are correct - and I'm running the latest FW I can find: 0906FW 20190828 V1.) Pressing the pwr and OK button doesn't bring up a GPS status display as suggested in the manual.

I'm thinking that the GPS unit is dead - but it has worked in the past, it's just very old now and possibly been cooked over the years in the hot AUS sun...

Suggestions appreciated.

MMM
Sounds like you've troubleshooted all you can and that the GPS mount is fried. Mini aren't around anymore and I haven't heard from their rep in ages.

To be honest your best bet is to upgrade your dashcam now and get a new one. Viofo does some decent options with the new Starvis 2 sensor - depends how far you wish to stretch your budget.

The A119 Mini 2 is a value buy, or even the older A119 V3 if you can get it for a good price.

Yep, figured it was worth asking just in case there was some magic incantation to revive it... But, looks like the conclusion is inevitable.

This 0906 is on my daughter's car and it still records perfectly beautiful footage (love having both the front and rear at 1080P!), but if I need to replace, my preference is for a Viofo - I've had (the same) A119 V1 on my car for 9+ yrs and it's still going strong.

Thanks for the quick response & alternatives.

Yep, figured it was worth asking just in case there was some magic incantation to revive it... But, looks like the conclusion is inevitable.

This 0906 is on my daughter's car and it still records perfectly beautiful footage (love having both the front and rear at 1080P!), but if I need to replace, my preference is for a Viofo - I've had (the same) A119 V1 on my car for 9+ yrs and it's still going strong.

Thanks for the quick response & alternatives.
I've had a Mini or two and it's been a good reliable little thing for me so I totally get it. Best of luck with shopping mate!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C mini0906 2
V mini0906 7
WA3PNT mini0906 8
Back