0906 Operation Information

WA3PNT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750/770 Firmware (Dual), X550 (Dual) and a F50
Well, I ordered a Veckle and a Blueskysea 0906 just to play around with them.
They both operate as advertised, but there are some idiosyncrasies that I'd like to address.

The most disappointing thing is that the Motion Detection (in either the Continuous Record or the Parking Guard modes is NOT activated when there is motion at the Rear Camera. IMHO, if you pull into a parking space with the rear end of the vehicle facing the traffic, the motion most important would be that to the rear of the vehicle.

Another operating characteristic, that had me scratching my head, is the Motion Detection in the Continuous Recording mode. When I first fired up the 0906 and turned ON the Motion Detection, it worked. When there was no motion (at the Front Camera) the 0906 went into Standby Mode, and when there was motion it began recording. Later in my evaluation after testing several other features, I could not get the Motion Detection to work. I found out, through trial and error, that Parking Guard must be OFF for Motion Detection to work.

I also found the video quality in Low Light situations extremely disappointing. I used a 128G SD Card to determine the length of time I could achieve with Front and Rear Cameras in the Continuous Record 1080 mode. I found that 7 hours of recording was available, with the older (non-protected) files overwritten. The night recordings (not total darkness, but reduced light from LCD Screens and other sources in my shop) were very grainy and in my opinion unusable. There was no detail.

The operation of the Parking Guard Kit with regards to the voltage at which the Parking Guard Kit turns off the 0906 was covered in this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-0906-hardwire-kit.30868/page-2#post-363902 I will add that the 0906 current draw is on the order of .3A (300mA) when operating in the Continuous Record mode. Interestingly, the current draw did not reduce very much when operating in the Parking Guard mode, even when there was no motion.

The bottom line is that for the price, the 0906 is a good entry level Dash Camera. I will not however be replacing my F770 or F750 with the 0906. I just listed the two 0906s on eBay.

Firstly, the parking guard function is only for the front camera but rear camera (in case of causing unintended activation between the front camera and rear one).
Secondly, the motion detection only operates when the vehicle engine starts and no need parking guard hardwire kit (namely, parking guard is setting to off).
Finally, in case to save storage space, the camera will record low frame rate video automatically by system when in Parking Guard status, no matter how much the amount of SD card you used.
When in parking guard mode, if there any collision happens, the camera would record in 720p30, if not, the camera would record in 720p2 (playback the video is fast forward).

Last edited:
Do you have the quality set to fine or superfine? I know with the 0803 the superfine option just added more grain without actually adding more detail and the file sizes were bigger, so it was pointless using it. Not sure if it's the same with 0906 as I haven't tested this yet. Interested to see if anyone else has any direct comparisons for fine vs superfine.

I also found the video quality in Low Light situations extremely disappointing. I used a 128G SD Card to determine the length of time I could achieve with Front and Rear Cameras in the Continuous Record 1080 mode. I found that 7 hours of recording was available, with the older (non-protected) files overwritten. The night recordings (not total darkness, but reduced light from LCD Screens and other sources in my shop) were very grainy and in my opinion unusable. There was no detail.
I think you probably had an unrealistic light level "in your shop" compared to actual driving, unless you plan on driving at night with no headlights!

In real use, night performance is very good for a dashcam, certainly not perfect but you wont find any dashcams that are significantly better at the moment.

1st, for motion detection and parking guard, we only active the front camera trigger for now. We are listening users' feedback if most users want the rear camera can active motion detecting also we can release a new firmware to achive this. Both front and rear monitoring will increase system loading and increase the event video a lot.
2nd, Parking Guard will takeover the motion detecting if it is set to ON, then Motion Detection will be off, otherwise that is incompatible.
3rd, the Exmor R image sensor is Starvis but still not works if there is no light, just little better than human eyes.
4th, when the camera is on standby mode it only saved the power to write microSD card, but the image analysis is still working that is why power saving is not obviously.

Overall I like the thinking behind the design of this cam. Perhaps the quirks of 'parking mode' and 'motion detect' incompatibility could be better addressed in the owners manual to help avoid confusion. I do think that most people will expect the rear cam to activate when parked or in M/D mode and that would make a nice firmware upgrade. The problem of shorter recording times with 2ch cams is inherent but those who so desire can use a card large enough to give them the parking time they need. IMHO this is the biggest drawback with 2ch cams. From the vids I've seen I think it does well day and night both though there are cams which are better at one or the other. It's a good balance. I'm still pondering the automatic switch to 720p when parked. That has advantages and disadvantages but since you are working at close distances only then, 720p might be good enough. An option to use 1080p might be nice if it's not hard to do. If that is implemented default should be 720p to help with card capacity. You certainly get a lot of cam for your money with this one.

If time proves this to be a reliable and durable cam it will be tough for the competition to equal it's value and I see the possibility of a great success here.

Phil

I've just checked mine and the rear camera is recording when parking guard is on. So it is recording both front and rear cameras at the same time with parking guard. Does this not happen for everyone else?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.4 KB · Views: 9
I've just checked mine and the rear camera is recording when parking guard is on. So it is recording both front and rear cameras at the same time with parking guard. Does this not happen for everyone else?

Both the Front and Rear cameras "record" when Parking Guard is activated.
What was discussed is that only the motion at the Front camera will activate the Parking Record.

Ahh I see, that makes sense. A toggle in the options for front, back, or both for detecting motion would be a good addition definitely.

Back