GPS time setting question

lancecov

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
Just a quick question on setting the time of my newly installed DR900S 2CH dashcam. Using the iOS app, when setting up the time used for the video time stamps, I have two choices: “manual time setting” and “sync with GPS time”. If I choose “sync with GPS time” does this mean that the time will change as I drive through different time zones? I am assuming it changes automatically (based on my GPS location), otherwise I would have to constantly reset the time settings as I drove across the country. Next question: if the setting of the time is automatic, why does the time setting dialog then ask me to set a GMT offset (e.g. GMT-4 for the East Coast)? If I set an offset, it would seem that I am instructing the system to not automatically change the time. I know I must be overlooking something obvious and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

My understanding of 'sync to GPS' is that the system clock is synced to the sat time (UTC +- Time zone correction) rather than being a 'free running' internal clock, which may gain or loose. The time zone setting is the offset from UTC of your local time zone, and will remain at this fixed offset until you change it.

If, when you crossed into a different time zone, the satnav 'automatically' set itself to the 'new' local time, then the recordings would jump about all over the place by an hour at a time, making tracking your journey a tad on the difficult side, especially if you frequently 'popped across' into a different time zone then back again.

For instance, if you were travelling west across a time zone boundary, the clock would jump back by an hour. Probably not what you would expect to happen.

Luckily, I live in the UK so don't have that problem, but I do have my cameras set to UTC permanently, and have to remember to add the hour when reviewing video after the UK switches to DST.

Also IIRC, when you alter the time zone setting, the previous recordings are deleted. The device does warn you if it's going to do this though.

Back