GS1000 / GS2000 / GS5000 Lens Replacement

Sabe

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
G90, GT300W, Mobius A, C
First, thank you DashCamMan for this awesome forum. Before i found this place i bought GS5000 cam because i expected logically that 5000 is better than 1000...lol.
Anyways, here some info of my GS5000, it's a DX product one month old and firmware version is 2.0.4G1KB.
Overall it works like it should, but there is some technical issues with lenses. I think lens assembly is not in line with cmos because left side of the screen is slightly blurred. Sometimes hole screen is soft and sometimes it's sharp, i don't know is it that warming effect or not. GPS is accurate (at least in finland), that PC program did not work in my XP computer, but i found here that Registratorviewer program and it works very well thank you. I cant see g-forces in program but i don't know is that data in my MAP file.
I was wondering is it possible to change lens because it is glued on, and i don't know can i remove it without breaking anything?
Here is my video sample

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Carcam GS5000 DVR

Sabe said:
First, thank you DashCamMan for this awesome forum. Before i found this place i bought GS5000 cam because i expected logically that 5000 is better than 1000...lol.
Anyways, here some info of my GS5000, it's a DX product one month old and firmware version is 2.0.4G1KB.
Overall it works like it should, but there is some technical issues with lenses. I think lens assembly is not in line with cmos because left side of the screen is slightly blurred. Sometimes hole screen is soft and sometimes it's sharp, i don't know is it that warming effect or not. GPS is accurate (at least in finland), that PC program did not work in my XP computer, but i found here that Registratorviewer program and it works very well thank you. I cant see g-forces in program but i don't know is that data in my MAP file.
I was wondering is it possible to change lens because it is glued on, and i don't know can i remove it without breaking anything?
Here is my video sample

Hi Sabe,

The blurring effect you are getting is common. Some people try to adjust the lens rather than replacing if the whole picture is out of focus. If the blur happens when overheating, changing the lens will help. Many Russians have successfully changed the lens on the GS1000 and equivalent cameras. In short, you need to cut the glue with a utility knife / exacto knife. This will allow the lens to rotate freely. By rotating the lens you can see if there is any improvement in picture quality. If that doesn't help, you can unscrew the lens and replace with a better quality one. You will need to adjust focus and superglue back in place. Once again this is a risky procedure, so you need to be careful.

If people are interested I will post more on this (i.e. what kind of lens, pictures, etc.). I just need to dig up some information.

Dash Cam Man

Ok, thanks. If i find some time i can too make tests because i already have DX lens set SKU 15774.
Although i suspect that these cheap lenses don't have ir-filter so colors will chance.

Some good and some bad news.
Bad news is that lens is glued on by it's threads with very strong glue, and it just can't be rotated. Good news is that lens assembly was little loose from the other side and i got this left side problem fixed. Can't tell yet this warming issue though.
If you want to try new lenses try to find hole lens assembly, i think it is some kind of standard size, 13x13mm.
And yes, it is really a gs1000 camera, as shown in image.
lh3.googleusercontent.com__jfAcE55sb50_UHGxGmFNC7I_AAAAAAAAAKE_JfGRpAFzPL8_s699_gs5000.jpg

Sabe said:
Some good and some bad news.
Bad news is that lens is glued on by it's threads with very strong glue, and it just can't be rotated. Good news is that lens assembly was little loose from the other side and i got this left side problem fixed. Can't tell yet this warming issue though.
If you want to try new lenses try to find hole lens assembly, i think it is some kind of standard size, 13x13mm.
And yes, it is really a gs1000 camera, as shown in image.
lh3.googleusercontent.com__jfAcE55sb50_UHGxGmFNC7I_AAAAAAAAAKE_JfGRpAFzPL8_s699_gs5000.jpg

That is great that you were able to fix the left side problem. Great proof on how a GS5000 is really a GS1000. They print it right on the circuit board.

Dash Cam Man

After doing some research on replacement lenses for the GS1000 / GS5000, here is a quick summary.

The replacement lens should be an M12 x 0.5 lens. Ideally it should be a megapixel lens with an IR filter. If you get a lens without the IR filter, the colors will be all off.

The two most popular replacement lenses in Russia for the GS1000 are:

Beward BL03618BIR-WF (f 3.6 mm, F 1.8, day / night, high resolution, IR cut filter)

beward.ru_goods_images_5565_m.jpg

and the Beward BL02820M13WF (f 2.8 mm, F 2.0, high resolution, IR cut filter)

beward.ru_goods_images_5631_m.jpg

Apparently the Beward BL03618BIR-WF has a sharper / better image but a more narrow viewing angle. The Beward BL02820M13WF has a wider viewing angle but the image quality slightly worse.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to purchase these lenses outside of Russia.

Dash Cam Man

To install the lens, the basic steps are as follows.

1. Disassemble the camera
2. Unscrew the lens assembly from the camera
2. Remove as much glue as possible from the lens using an exacto/utility knife
3. Rotate the lens to remove it (this may cause the existing lens or mount to break, so be careful)
4. Install new lens on existing mount if you did not break it in step 3 or use a new mount
5. Adjust focus
6. Super glue lens in place
7. Reassemble camera

Here are some pictures of GS1000 cameras with modified lenses.

GS1000%20Replacement%20Lens%201.jpg

GS1000%20Replacement%20Lens%202.jpg

Dash Cam Man

Since the Beward lenses are not available outside of Russia, there are some alternatives from Aliexpress. While the Beward lenses have a lot of positive feedback, there is little information about the quality of these lenses.

The most popular one is this on Aliexpress (2 lenses for $15)

i01.i.aliimg.com_wsphoto_v0_446609037_CCTV_Lens_Board_Lens_3_62e594b20606a3172017d2df05c58612b.jpg

Another lens that is significantly less popular and more expensive is this on Aliexpress (1 lens for $21)

i00.i.aliimg.com_wsphoto_v0_556984174_cctv_lens_1_2_5_Board_Le3470d0ec54251be7916b1024e456a00c.jpg

Finally, if you are unable to remove the existing lens from the mount, you will need to purchase a replacement mount. Some can be seen here on Aliexpress.

Dash Cam Man

Once again you have made good instructions. To me it's only way to buy a new lens mount, and i'm glad to see that those are available.
What really eats me up is postage fee to finland, buy a 17$ parts and pay 63$ with postage is ridiculous, so maybe i'll wait untill i salvage parts from somewhere.
For everyone interested i can tell by experience that removing lens mount is very safe, you really don't have to do anything dangerous to camera, just open screws and put them back in again, this camera is built very friendly.

Sabe said:
Once again you have made good instructions. To me it's only way to buy a new lens mount, and i'm glad to see that those are available.
What really eats me up is postage fee to finland, buy a 17$ parts and pay 63$ with postage is ridiculous, so maybe i'll wait untill i salvage parts from somewhere.
For everyone interested i can tell by experience that removing lens mount is very safe, you really don't have to do anything dangerous to camera, just open screws and put them back in again, this camera is built very friendly.

Hi Sabe,

That ridiculous shipping really kills the deal. I'm sure you can find another M12 megapixel lens with IR lens from another Finland friendly source. If you do change the lens let us know how it goes.

I split this into a separate thread in case others are interested in replacing the lens and sharing feedback!

Dash Cam Man

with the extreme temperature killing the lens...which DVR is actually the best against the High TEmperature??

kbwang said:
with the extreme temperature killing the lens...which DVR is actually the best against the High TEmperature??

Actually the smaller sized cameras are the ones most likely to be damaged by heat since they don't dissipate heat that well. Larger cameras like the F500LHD, F900LHD, DVR 027, etc. usually are not affected by this problem. The Itronics ITB-100HD is a small camera that appears not to be adversely affected by the heat as well.

Dash Cam Man

Now i have some preliminary information of lens work.
First note is that do not buy cheap plastic DX lens set because they are same crap than original GS lens.
Second, you really can make this camera better with high quality lens, so it is very recommended to change optics. Next week i can tell more when i'll have my new lens from local optics dealer.
But i did some testing with webcam 4.0mm F2.0 lens, so now i know that good lens really improves image in daylight, and make very bad night view not so bad night view.
So, more to come.

In case anyone is interested in removing the lens, if there is a lot of glue holding the lens to the mount you can use a glue solvent. Some popular brands that are easy to find are Goo Gone and Goof Off. If you can't find these products you can improvise with an acetone based product such as nail polish.

Sabe, looking forward to how your new lens performs.

Sabe said:
Now i have some preliminary information of lens work.
First note is that do not buy cheap plastic DX lens set because they are same crap than original GS lens.
Second, you really can make this camera better with high quality lens, so it is very recommended to change optics. Next week i can tell more when i'll have my new lens from local optics dealer.
But i did some testing with webcam 4.0mm F2.0 lens, so now i know that good lens really improves image in daylight, and make very bad night view not so bad night view.
So, more to come.

Hi Sabe,

Really looking forward to hearing about your upgraded camera. Some Russians think the Blue Menu GS1000 with a high quality lens is the best <$100 camera available. It makes a big difference in video quality.

Dash Cam Man

parkzone said:
In case anyone is interested in removing the lens, if there is a lot of glue holding the lens to the mount you can use a glue solvent. Some popular brands that are easy to find are Goo Gone and Goof Off. If you can't find these products you can improvise with an acetone based product such as nail polish.

Sabe, looking forward to how your new lens performs.

Hi parkzone,

Great info on the glue solvent. That should make it easy to remove without damaging the mount.

Dash Cam Man

My lens change program backfired, it turns out that this optics dealer didn't have lenses after all, he was selling just a promises online. I will try to convince him to take those Beward lenses in sale, but i think that if he sells lenses worth thousands to companies maybe he won't be interested to sell these 20 dollar lenses. Now i try to gather lenses here and there, and if i have some improvement i will give samples. One interesting thing i will test is one varifocal zoom lens 3.5-8mm F1.4, i should have it in 3 weeks or so.
And yes, this GS5000 lens is glued inside the threads with epoxy glue, so it is impossible remove or refocus, those bastards.

Sabe said:
My lens change program backfired, it turns out that this optics dealer didn't have lenses after all, he was selling just a promises online. I will try to convince him to take those Beward lenses in sale, but i think that if he sells lenses worth thousands to companies maybe he won't be interested to sell these 20 dollar lenses. Now i try to gather lenses here and there, and if i have some improvement i will give samples. One interesting thing i will test is one varifocal zoom lens 3.5-8mm F1.4, i should have it in 3 weeks or so.
And yes, this GS5000 lens is glued inside the threads with epoxy glue, so it is impossible remove or refocus, those bastards.

Hi Sabe,

The varifocul lens sounds very interesting. Looking forward to hearing about it.

As I investigated the Beward lenses further, apparently they are designed for surveillance cameras (See the Russian Beward Catalog Here). I'm sure there is an online source for similar lenses. Just need to find ones that have the following features:

- Megapixel
- IR Cut Filter (needs to be IR Cut not just IR filter)
- Standard M12 X 0.5 thread
- Designed for a 1/2.5" sensor or a 1/2.7" sensor

The closet I could find on eBay is this lens. However, I'm not sure if it is an IR cut filter or for what size sensor it is designed for.

Dash Cam Man

Tekno said:

Aperture size looks good so it would be good at night, but i think that you have very narrow view with 4 mm lens.
Usually looking just by specs you can't say is it good or not, you should trust items that someone else has already tested. But of course, this lens can be good, you just are first to try.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E GSXXXX 6
D GSXXXX 1
C GSXXXX 5
J GSXXXX 3
D GSXXXX 0
Back