GS2000 dyi mirror mount

monoculus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, thought I would share my DIY rear view mirror mount for my GS2000 (aka: GS1000 orange menu in new housing).

Picked up a GS2000 about a month ago via ebay for $130 shipped from China. Is a good camera and I have a couple of issues with it, but maybe that's a different post.

I was never happy with the suction cup window mount and wire hanging down my dash so I went looking online and found a universal rear view mirror mount from Ram mounts. Problem is it puts the camera way too low, and the mount weighs more than the camera does! It's bulky and awkward.

So here is my solution. Using the U-bolt from the Ram system and bracket parts from Home Depot, I made a light weight bracket that puts the cam right below and to the front of the rear view mirror. To power the cam I added a right angle USB cable connected to a hard wired usb port. USB cable is tucked up under the head liner and goes down the side pillar trim to behind the dash where i connected the USB port behind the passenger kick panel.

The result is a near stealth mount, no cables hanging down and the cam is mounted up nice and high for a good view down the road. If I wouldn't have bought the Ram mount, total cost would be less then $30.

Parts list:
T-Brace - Home Depot, two pack $3
Corner braces - Home Depot, four pack $3
U-Bolt - Ram systems, part of universal mirror mount - $12 ( I'm sure you can get this from Home Depot for a couple of bucks)
6 foot USB cable with right angle mini-b end - Tigerdirect - $5
Add-a-Circuit - Autozone, $10 ( To connect the USB charging port without tapping wires)
Dash Mount USB port - $8 online somewhere
Misc nuts and bolts - free from my parts bucket
optional black spray paint

Using a drimmel and bench grinder and drill I shaped the T-Brace and Corner braces to match the U-Bolt and camera mounting point. Painted everything black, (including the shiny parts on the camera!) and bolted it up. I'm very pleased with the results and hope this helps anyone else looking to ditch the lame suction cup solution!

Cheers!

Attachments

• driverview-1.jpg
    driverview-1.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • mirror-bracket-1.jpg
    mirror-bracket-1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,195
  • outside-2.jpg
    outside-2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,195
Oh, as a last step, I put black electrical tape over the useless IR LEDs and shiny 1080p logo on the front of the cam. Now it's true stealth mode!

Attachments

• parts-list.jpg
    parts-list.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • usb-port.jpg
    usb-port.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • outside-3.jpg
    outside-3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,191
Thanks monoculus for the detailed description of your mount. Looks much better than the suction cup mount! Curious on your thoughts with the camera and any issues. Looking forward to a review post.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks Dash Cam Man. Review post coming right up.

Great thread on alternative mounts. I dislike the mount that comes with the unit as well. I think the suction cup doesn't look good. I came across another person with a GS2000 that used 3M Dual Lock fasteners to fasten the unit to his windshield. Looks pretty good! I will probably switch to something like this!

i47.tinypic.com_28sc07c.jpg

Ah, super velcro. I hadn't considered that. But I see two issues, one, it's not adjustable up and down. The GS2000 has a nice flat spot on the top for the tape and it might be ok if your windshield has a good slant to it. I did test fit on my truck and half the image would be hood. I'm sure an adapter could be rigged to correct for the angle though.
Secondly, how secure would it be in the case of collision? Looks like that 3m stuff is heavy duty, but wouldn't want to miss any action because the velcro came loose.

The third issue I see: it's too easy! Peel and stick and you're done?! come-on, where's the fun in that! lol :)
But hey, if it works, it works. The simple solutions are the best.

Anyone know where I can purchase the 3M Dual Lock fasteners? I like the idea that the camera can easily be removed.

These are great mounting alternatives monoculus and parkzone. Depending on your requirements I see both as much improved versions over the original suction cup mount. Really appreciate the sharing of these ideas.

Dash Cam Man

wizkid said:
Anyone know where I can purchase the 3M Dual Lock fasteners? I like the idea that the camera can easily be removed.

A quick search reveals amazon.com and ebay both have these available. This is the same fastener used for many toll road transponders such as E-Z Pass. If you use a toll transponder you can get the fastener for free from them. Also Amazon has this toll tape for sale.

Dash Cam Man

While everyone else is prancing off to Amazon to buy velcro, I've been using a plasma cutter and blast furnace to created the most awesome bracket ever. I call it the Wicked Bracketry V2.0.

V1.0 was slightly too low still, so I bent the tab on the T-brace about 80 degrees, flipped the corner braces over and behold:

you can also see the difference in the angle of the windshield and the flat top of the camera mount in that close up.

Attachments

• bracket-right.jpg
    bracket-right.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,150
  • drivers-view2.jpg
    drivers-view2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 1,150
Monoculus, the new adjustments are great. The camera is less visible and I doubt anything will dislodge it!

Dash Cam Man

monoculus said:
Ah, super velcro. I hadn't considered that. But I see two issues, one, it's not adjustable up and down. The GS2000 has a nice flat spot on the top for the tape and it might be ok if your windshield has a good slant to it. I did test fit on my truck and half the image would be hood. I'm sure an adapter could be rigged to correct for the angle though.
Secondly, how secure would it be in the case of collision? Looks like that 3m stuff is heavy duty, but wouldn't want to miss any action because the velcro came loose.

The third issue I see: it's too easy! Peel and stick and you're done?! come-on, where's the fun in that! lol :)
But hey, if it works, it works. The simple solutions are the best.

You are right about the angle. This solution only works on some vehicles. Perhaps using multiple pieces could change the angle. The image I linked to before was from a Honda Odyssey. Here is an image from a Honda Civic.

i45.tinypic.com_1kwht.jpg

The video angle on both vehicles appears to be fine.

Great work btw on the updated mount. Seems even more stealth now.

Looking for a weighted dash mount for a Car Cam. I drive different cars for a living, need something to drop on the dash and plug in. Record upright since most cams hang upside down or a car cam that mounts either way.

This is an excellent DIY mount! Great job! I might have to do this one day.

Very nice install....looks great. Nice work.

Back