GS9000 unboxed.... *ADDED SAMPLE VIDS*

Chad said:
So I can't use any old USB mini cable? I have to order the one from that site? Then wire the red / brown together? Sorry, I'm still lost.

So I can't use any old USB mini cable?< That is correct sir. I call it gimping and it was done on purpose, I would like to know why would a company want to do that?

I have to order the one from that site? < Any place would do, as long as pin 4 has a conductor attached to it (very rare), this was done on purpose to make it difficult.
You can buy them in China by the 1000, another site.
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=111

Then wire the red / brown together? <It may not be brown, I said the pin 4 conductor will not be red, black, green or white; that only leaves one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad said:
I call it gimping and it was done on purpose, I would like to know why would a company want to do that?

it's using OTG functionality to achieve an outcome (auto record on power up) v's plugging into a PC where you would want it to function differently

Bad said:
this was done on purpose to make it difficult.

there is no intention of making this difficult, quite the opposite, your needs are outside the norm so it might be frustrating to you that you can't just use any old lead but you're doing something outside of the intentioned use of the product

using a unique connector type would be gimping, have seen this on some cameras, mobile phones etc, that is annoying when they try and restrict you by way of a unique interface

This is OTG
1857755b-e99e-f9e5.jpg

The GS9000 uses pin 4 as a power(rail) supply. Two different things.

Bad said:
The GS9000 uses pin 4 as a power(rail) supply. Two different things.

I don't do GS9000's so can't confirm if there's anything unusual about that model compared to others in the market, using this setup though is quite common amongst lots of models, yes it may be two different things but they are using this functionality in the camera to differentiate being connected to alternate sources for different purposes, would you have preferred a unique connector type instead so that the two uses could be separated, working with a connector standard even if it does require a different wiring scheme has got to be easier than dealing with a unique connector type

We are dealing with two different sockets.
The socket on the camera could stop and ask "what do you want me to do" (OTG) when it gets power.
The socket on the base could say "let's boot and record" when it gets power.
Power travels through the base to the camera through another connector, the camera shouldn't care where it comes from. If power goes to the base, record, if it goes to the camera, ask. What sense is it, in running power on pin 4 at the power supply/base when it is going to be rewired again at the connector between the base and camera.
Five volts is five volts why move it from pin 1 to pin 4?
It's a dash cam, it's supposed to record when it sees power, not wait for you to smash buttons; is there a reason why it can't start recording until you smash buttons telling it to do something else.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=7920
I found this about Garmin using pin 4, looks like the use sense resistors also to doubly make sure people are forced to use there chargers, something tells me we are boned beyond belief.

Bad said:
It's a dash cam, it's supposed to record when it sees power, not wait for you to smash buttons; is there a reason why it can't start recording until you smash buttons telling it to do something else.

you want it record when it is used in the car, if it is powered via mini USB connector which is also usable for data connectivity is different to dealing with a cam that uses separate connections for power and data, having it record regardless when connected would be possible but then becomes inconvenient when plugging into a PC where you instead want it to default to a different process, it would need to then become a menu option to get to the function that would have otherwise just launched by default, not convenient at all

can't have it both ways and as they are supplied with the specific power supply wired accordingly I don't really see it as a major issue, as I said previously we're looking to change to a cigarette plug with USB outputs and supplying the lead instead with USB connector and wired in the same method as the current lead, it won't be intended for PC use and we'll still need to supply the shorter mini USB mead for PC use

as I mentioned I don't do this model so not sure if they've done something unusual with this base connection etc so only generalising about what is typical amongst cams that use mini USB connection for power and data purposes based on my own experience

jokiin said:
Format the card and try again, random lockup is sometimes memory card related or otherwise a firmware problem, hopefully formatting the card will sort it out

If you want to format in the PC use the Panasonic SD format tool

I just went through two passes of h2testw_1.4 before and after the "Panasonic SD format tool" so I'm pretty sure the memory wasn't the problem.

Bad said:
jokiin said:
Format the card and try again, random lockup is sometimes memory card related or otherwise a firmware problem, hopefully formatting the card will sort it out

If you want to format in the PC use the Panasonic SD format tool

I just went through two passes of h2testw_1.4 before and after the "Panasonic SD format tool" so I'm pretty sure the memory wasn't the problem.

random lockups are often firmware related but memory can also cause this, speak to the supplier and see if they have any update available, if people don't complain about it they'll never fix it ;)

I let my GS9000 run overnight; no corrupted files; my date and time reset itself to 1/1/13 wtf,
I think the dash cam doesn't use the GPS for time data wtf times infinity.
A 32 gig flash card is good for 7 hours and 23 minutes of darkness
perhaps some day, 64 gig (NTFS) support will happen along with external hard drive support HINT!.

I took the time to make myself a USB power cord, I took the base apart and ohmed it out with a fluke.
The sticker on the power supply is WRONG! (misdirection gimp)
This worked for me. Your results my vary, good luck.
kGNA26n.jpg

If you get over seven hours out of a 32gb card the bitrate must be quite low, unless you were running a lower resolution, with lower bitrate it shouldn't get write errors

jokiin said:
If you get over seven hours out of a 32gb card the bitrate must be quite low, unless you were running a lower resolution, with lower bitrate it shouldn't get write errors

1920x1080
I'm still wondering why my date reset to 1/1/13, the battery is good so it didn't lose power or anything.

Bad said:
jokiin said:

1920x1080
I'm still wondering why my date reset to 1/1/13, the battery is good so it didn't lose power or anything.

this is the same kind of random firmware glitch that can cause your corrupt files

A 32 gig flash card is good for 7 hours and 23 minutes at 1920x1080 @ 30fps
A 32 gig flash card is good for 8 hours and 15 minutes at 1280x720 @60fps with no option to change it to 30fps. thanks :x .
And the resolution automatically resets itself to 1920 on restart.

I just read here on this forum that you can't use a normal usb to usb-mini cable to charge the cam and use auto record. I used it with my last dashboard cam.
So why doesn't a much more expensief cam use it?

Is there a way so it will work?

I just orderd the GS9000 a couple days ago.

MBE said:
I just read here on this forum that you can't use a normal usb to usb-mini cable to charge the cam and use auto record. I used it with my last dashboard cam.

Cables are standard cables.
There is two type of wiring, both is right and safe.
Upper connecor in this image is used in GS series cameras, some other cameras may use lower pinout witch is the standard (normal) way.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3OI9 ... 8/pins.jpg
To be clear, if you connect upper cable to camera it will start record,
if you connect lower cable to camera it goes to computer mode.

Sabe said:
MBE said:

Upper connecor in this image is used in GS series cameras, some other cameras may use lower pinout witch is the standard (normal) way.
Is there an option to buy the upper cable with usb to mini-usb? So I can connect it on a dual usb connector in my car?

MBE said:
Is there an option to buy the upper cable with usb to mini-usb? So I can connect it on a dual usb connector in my car?

I'm looking at supplying cameras with this type of cable and cig plug with USB outlet for future models, I see it as a more flexible option

Sabe said:
MBE said:

your picture is back ass backwards this is what works
kGNA26n.jpg

computer on the left, GS9000 on the right, at least this how my GS9000 is wired up.
yellow wire goes to pin 4 btw

Bad said:
your picture is back ass backwards this is what works
No it's not, they are taken straight from actual charger wires.
But nothing is stopping you to make whatever kind of wiring.

MBE said:
Might be hard to find since cable is not standard usb, of course they are factory made somewhere but i don't know where to buy. But whoever sells it must be in dashcam business, i can see very little use for this kind of connector elsewhere.
If you are able you can make it yourself by ripping standard usb cable and solder only 2 right wires to 5 volt car charger.

Back