GS9000 unboxed.... *ADDED SAMPLE VIDS*

Sabe said:
Bad said:
your picture is back ass backwards this is what works
No it's not, they are taken straight from actual charger wires.
But nothing is stopping you to make whatever kind of wiring.
I own a GS9000.
I took the base apart and with a fluke meter and I measured voltages.
The picture above is a picture of the actual working USB cable I made: the GS900 powers up and starts recording when this cable is plugged into the base of the GS9000.
Not that difficult of a concept to follow.

If you have not made a working USB cable for the GS9000: shut up.

Sabe said:
Might be hard to find since cable is not standard usb, of course they are factory made somewhere but i don't know where to buy. But whoever sells it must be in dashcam business, i can see very little use for this kind of connector elsewhere.

Posted for the second time from this thread; one or two pages back.

Garmin GPS units and cell phone data transfer cables also utilize pin 4.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=111
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mb2mb-12gl5.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I've recently bought one of these GS9000 dashcams from Foxoffer.
Did a lot of research on here (thanks for the info) and was going to buy an 8000 but while on their site I found a newer model in the 9000, so decided to get that.
Paid the extra for the quick delivery and had it in no time - very happy with that.

As is mentioned earlier in this thread the manual is next to useless. It's totally useless to me now as I seem to have misplaced it somewhere lol.
Mounting seems fine and I like how the GPS is incorporated into the suction base. It sometimes (rarely though) doesn't pickup a signal but I've found if I pull the cord out of the base and let it power down and back up again and that fixes that issue. I'm usually moving then as well.

Since this is my first cam I have nothing to gauge the video quality by. I may have too higher expectations but seeing it's HD I was hoping to be able to see the cars numberplates better. Zoom up on them etc.
It's fine while moving slowly and close behind, but put some speed on and I cant make out any plates. It's set at the highest resolution and 60fps.
I have no issues with it other than not fully understanding the settings.

Might be a silly question, but can anyone enlighten me on what the EV setting is ?
I've tried it on +1.7 and everything was too bright. I've now got it on -1.3 and it seems better - any suggestions on what I should have it on ? The cam also has a ring on the lens that you can turn from a day to a night setting. Haven't driven in the dark yet so don't know what that does but I can see it being easily forgotten to be changed and used at the wrong setting.
Other settings :-
White B - Auto (also to pick from - Fluorescent, tungsten, cloudy, sunny)
I assume Auto is fine ?
(I understand what these below are, just to let you know what I have used)
Contrast - Standard
Sharpness - Hard
Effect - Off (has Vivid, Monochrome, Negative, Sepia and Art)

Now if I have "Motion Det" set to on, does it record only when there is movement ? (I have it set to Off because I don't fully understand what it does)

The other settings are pretty straight forward.

As I can't locate the manual, could someone explain the process to protect the video in the event of wanting to save a file from being over written ? I keep taking photo's lol.

Also have no issues with the cord, using the cigarette plug it came with in the car and another USB on the computer to transfer the files with. Using the cigarette cord it powers on and off with the car as expected and using the other cord on the computer gives a menu with the 3 options of MSC, Charge or Open.
I however don't understand the icons at the bottom left corner of the screen. They are what I'll call a lightning bolt symbol, this symbol within a circle (as in a no smoking type) and this symbol with an A next to it.
I have it on the one with a circle and as said above it powers up and down with the car. It changes between these with a press of the on/off button but what do they mean ?

Cheers :)

Vudu VE said:
Since this is my first cam I have nothing to gauge the video quality by. I may have too higher expectations but seeing it's HD I was hoping to be able to see the cars numberplates better. Zoom up on them etc. It's fine while moving slowly and close behind, but put some speed on and I cant make out any plates. It's set at the highest resolution and 60fps. plates can be hard or impossible to see while the video is moving. Try experimenting with the pause button. You will be able to 'freeze' the image and the plate should be clear and legible.

I have no issues with it other than not fully understanding the settings. Most of these cameras are based / built on other devices not really meant for dashboard recording. In other words, they're pretty much useless for what we are using them for.

Might be a silly question, but can anyone enlighten me on what the EV setting is ? EV means exposure value
I've tried it on +1.7 and everything was too bright. I've now got it on -1.3 and it seems better - any suggestions on what I should have it on ? I always leave mine on 0 The cam also has a ring on the lens that you can turn from a day to a night setting. Haven't driven in the dark yet so don't know what that does but I can see it being easily forgotten to be changed and used at the wrong setting. Don't bother switching from day to night. It serves absolutely no purpose. I've experimented quite a bit with this feature and I see absolutely no change in picture quality.
Other settings :-
White B - Auto (also to pick from - Fluorescent, tungsten, cloudy, sunny)
I assume Auto is fine ? Yes, auto is fine...this is another one of those settings that doesn't really belong on dash cams.

Now if I have "Motion Det" set to on, does it record only when there is movement ? Correct, also known as parking mode. (I have it set to Off because I don't fully understand what it does)

As I can't locate the manual, could someone explain the process to protect the video in the event of wanting to save a file from being over written ? I keep taking photo's lol. Pressing the MENU button while in record mode will lock the current video file

I however don't understand the icons at the bottom left corner of the screen. They are what I'll call a lightning bolt symbol, this symbol within a circle (as in a no smoking type) I have it on the one with a circle and as said above it powers up and down with the car. It changes between these with a press of the on/off button but what do they mean ? A short press of the power button while in record mode toggles the useless IR LEDs on and off. The lightening bolt means on. Circle around it means off and the A means auto mode.

Vudu VE said:
Hi,
It's set at the highest resolution and 60fps.

You may want to double check that. :|

The day night switch (I forget if clockwise or counterclockwise is intended to be daytime), I assumed had at least a cheap polarizing lens on it.

When rotating it, you can definitely tell it is changing the filter, and if that is the case I would think the idea is that in daytime it would slightly reduce dash glare. *shrugs* I can't really mess with it while I'm driving and just got mine though.

The UV LEDs are surely not useless, they are just meant for a different purpose. If you were to rotate the camera around to record the cabin, I am sure the LEDs would be sufficient to light up that area in low-light conditions.

BTW, my personal limited experience from a single run is that the 178o angle lens of the GS9000 is TOO wide. It means that even vehicles that are right in front of your bumper appear as if they are half a mile away, making it virtually impossible to read license plates unless you've kissed.

Doing it again, I would have gone with a 120o FOV.

I agree with the 120o vs 178o. I do like the 120 much better.

You are absolutely right about the IR LEDs, when I said useless, I meant facing forward looking out the window it's useless (to me). Using it as an in-cabin camera at night they do work. But I have noticed on some cameras that the field of view from the beams are quite narrow. Is more like a spot light than a flood light.

Has anyone figured out what the LED activity and colors represent? I find it no where in the manual. Hmmm...

I sure haven't. And there is no rhyme or reason as to the flash pattern either.

Bad said:
Sabe said:
Might be hard to find since cable is not standard usb, of course they are factory made somewhere but i don't know where to buy. But whoever sells it must be in dashcam business, i can see very little use for this kind of connector elsewhere.

Posted for the second time from this thread; one or two pages back.

Garmin GPS units and cell phone data transfer cables also utilize pin 4.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=111
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mb2mb-12gl5.html
Is there also somewhere a USB to mini-usb cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
MBE said:
That would be a waste of copper, the "USB" side would be four pins; why would a manufacturer put in a extra wire that goes nowhere?

Bad said:
MBE said:
That would be a waste of copper, the "USB" side would be four pins; why would a manufacturer put in a extra wire that goes nowhere?
Hmm all car adapters are for USB...

I now use a 2 usb adapter 1 for iphone 5 1 for my old carcam(that one stole someone) now I want to use it for the GS9000. So whats the best solution.

Does it have WDR function ?
Can somebody post photo how the gs9000 is mounted in car ? Because the holder looks like that it is impossible to put camera in vertical position.

xxLDZxx said:
Can somebody post photo how the gs9000 is mounted in car ? Because the holder looks like that it is impossible to put camera in vertical position.

Dont worry - its is a very adjustable mount - i have one and it can film as far down as the dashboard only, or as far up and just film the sky!!! even sideways it adjusts so can just film me, and the back window.

Is it true that the 178° view angel is only possible if the resolution is set to 1280 x720 ?

No!, infact 720p looks more like 120degrees, whereas the 178degrees is in 1080p mode!

p_dashcam said:
xxLDZxx said:

Dont worry - its is a very adjustable mount - i have one and it can film as far down as the dashboard only, or as far up and just film the sky!!! even sideways it adjusts so can just film me, and the back window.

What car do you have? Can you send photo or video of mounted camera and posibility of moving ?

Can you tell me how to display the map files on my computer I have recorded on my GS9000
I can display the video's but am unable to display the map information, the GPS works as the speed in km/h is shown on the video
Thanking you MS

Back