GuardTrak GT2S model details and info

You're too modest Rick! Don't underestimate the reputation you have on this site

appreciated, it's not about reputation or modesty or whatever, I know product is developing rapidly and we have lots to do to try and keep up, we work with limited resources and budget so just do what we can to try and make a better product, plenty of others have far more money and resources to throw into this than we do

I have a question about the GuardTrak. It is designed to be mounted directly to the windshield, so this pretty much requires that it be installed very close to the center, probably behind and perhaps slightly below the rear view mirror, no? Will there be any alternative method for mounting and aiming the camera? I ask because I live in a US state that requires a yearly vehicle safety inspection sticker to be attached to the windshield exactly in the "dash cam sweet spot" just behind the mirror. Many states here in the US require an inspection sticker in this location. So for me, dash cams have to be mounted to the right or to the left of the rear view mirror and turned slightly towards the center of the vehicle.

I had this idea that the GuardTrak might benefit from an adhesive wedge shaped accessory that could be applied to the back of the camera mount that would allow it to face right or left maybe ten degrees or so. This would make it attractive to people like me who have to contend with this problem.

Oh, I had another idea for a low cost feature that could be added to the camera......a built in bubble level to assist in proper mounting.

mounting location is ideal top and center, that won't be practical in every case of course and may have to be slightly left or right of that, no room for a bubble level unfortunately

mounting location is ideal top and center, that won't be practical in every case of course and may have to be slightly left or right of that, no room for a bubble level unfortunately

Thanks for your reply jokiin. My personal experience has been that cameras require some aiming towards the center or I end up losing important coverage for one side of the vehicle or the other and if I don't put the camera far enough to one side, the sticker ends up in the FOV. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a DIY wedge of some sort to make your cameras work for me. Your products are certainly appealing enough that I would make a keen effort to have it work for me.

Anyway, my query about alternative mounting and the suggestion for an accessory mount was just a thought. And I use a little bubble level when I mount the Mobius cams and it makes a big difference even when I use a small LCD monitor to install the camera, so now I'm a fan of the idea.

Edit: I use this bubble level I bought for less than 3 bucks USD at DX and it lives in my vehicle now. Very handy!

level.jpg

Interesting, love dx.com (too bad they took away all the cheap iPhone lightning cables recently though)

Here's that level @Dashmellow posted about:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/32972

I read the comments and it said:
"Cons:
- only one axis, if you want one with two axis look at sku 2341"

Here's that one:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/2341
sku_2341_4.jpg

Interesting, love dx.com (too bad they took away all the cheap iPhone lightning cables recently though)

Here's that level @Dashmellow posted about:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/32972

I read the comments and it said:
"Cons:
- only one axis, if you want one with two axis look at sku 2341"

Here's that one:
http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/2341

I find that one axis is all you need for a dash cam since it gets aimed downwards towards the hood. That other one looks interesting and useful too though.
DX is great for certain items and its fun just to see what's new at the site but sadly the cheap lightning cables I purchased from them don't seem to work with my iPad as Apple has been making theirs proprietary lately.

Version 2 maybe, yet I'm thinking Jokiin isn't looking for any mods or retooling costs at the moment.

No doubt! I was just being funny......or at least trying to be.
No problem, might be more practical as an installation accessory though rather than being a part of the design considering how often it is actually needed

No problem, might be more practical as an installation accessory though rather than being a part of the design considering how often it is actually needed

That might be a good idea if you can get them for 5 cents each etc.
Sometimes it's all the little things that add up to make products over the top "nice" (and set you apart even further than the rest)

No doubt! I was just being funny......or at least trying to be.
Poor Jokiin, it's like a long road trip with kids saying are we there yet. Instead it's is it ready yet? Not yet, is it ready yet? I want it now! No not yet, is it ready now, it's been a long time? No soon, How about now, is it ready yet? Soon, just a little more work. Oh wait could you change this and that and add this :p

Though, shhhh, I love the level idea, great placement. Um version 2 Jokiin, version 2

The value of an integral bubble level would be that you don't have to go searching for it among the other junk in the console as I find happens with that little level I mentioned.

The value of an integral bubble level would be that you don't have to go searching for it among the other junk in the console as I find happens with that little level I mentioned.
Ya I agree, it's a great little extra to finish it up

That might be a good idea if you can get them for 5 cents each etc.
Sometimes it's all the little things that add up to make products over the top "nice" (and set you apart even further than the rest)

Will look into it, its an idea worth considering

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D GuardTrak 4
Z GuardTrak 67
Back