GW522 not working when rear cam connected

Matt1959

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, I have a 3yr old GW522 dashcam which has packed up. I've replaced the sd card with a new nextbase 32gb. When the rear cam is disconnected the front cam works fine. With the rear cam connected, it powers up but doesn't record. Rear cam connections seem ok. The dashcam is hard wired. Any pointers as to whats wrong?

Is your rear camera the rear view or rear window? I have never had a problem with the rear view, looks through the car, powered by cigarette lighter plug

Had the same problem. Turned out rear cam cable, ( joined to actual cam) had been trapped somehow by headlining.
Required replacement rear cam. Since then a couple of times the cable plug has been slightly pulled by the tailgate opening and closing which caused front cam to lock up.
Have now rerouted the the rear most existing cable exit from the headlining.
Seems to have done the trick for me.

Had the same problem. Turned out rear cam cable, ( joined to actual cam) had been trapped somehow by headlining.
Required replacement rear cam. Since then a couple of times the cable plug has been slightly pulled by the tailgate opening and closing which caused front cam to lock up.
Have now rerouted the the rear most existing cable exit from the headlining.
Seems to have done the trick for me.
Rear cam connection at tailgate seems OK. I had it hard wired by halfords, I can only assume they did it ok but the cable is hidden. Not sure how I can check without ripping things apart. Maybe a temporary cable through the car?!

Good idea, process of elimination, hopefully cable not too expensive

Rear cam connection at tailgate seems OK. I had it hard wired by halfords, I can only assume they did it ok but the cable is hidden. Not sure how I can check without ripping things apart. Maybe a temporary cable through the car?!
Hi, when I said rear cam cable I should have said the rear cam cable connector. The male pin of the mono plug was very slightly bent and was shorting out the cam.
Also operating the tailgate may cause the plug and socket to slightly show a gap between them. Check this out and make sure the plug is firmly pushed in before getting too involved with recabling. My connector is tucked inside the headlining so it may have caused my problem in the first place! Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 522GW 1
portlipig 522GW 17
B 522GW 15
C 522GW 1
C 522GW 5
Back