Hands on the Livue LB100. $100 korean 720p dashcam

johnf said:
Have had the LB100 for a couple weeks now. No problems with blurriness, but the audio skips / repeats constantly when using the player that came on the card. So, I followed the instructions a couple pages back to install the Korean firmware and use the 'new' player, and that works well, but the audio still skips.

Sounds like a codec problem. Try playing the videos with VLC.

lisij said:
Hello people, i also decided to get myself an Livue dashcam, today i got it for a spin, and here what are my problems:
1. it seem im not getting constant video record, i set it to 2 minutes, but it is always different in lenght, and when the next clip showing it is way forwarded (it is not from the same spot i finished the last clip), does everyone experience same problem??

It's because you have event videos. As soon as you hit a bump, the player stops recording in the movie mode and creates an event video for 30sec.

jmpas1 said:
Does anyone knows if a 2 Amp fuse for a cigar adapter is enough or should I get more?
my car cable plug is going really bad and the LightnSpace vendor really slow to answer e-mail
Probably faster for me to buy a adapter plug like a Enercell™ 12VDC Vehicle Power Adapter Plug w/ Leads & Switch
from Radio Shack.
any advise?
Thanks

The Current consumption is 260mA to 300mA (@12V) depends on different modes. A 2 Amp fuse is more than enough.

I'm surprised most people are finding their G-Sensor too sensitive. Following this thread, I received my Livue and immediately set it to "LOW" sensitivity before I even got near the car. For the first couple of drives I duck-taped the thing to the dashboard until I experimented with the best location to mount the bracket. I got the expected event movies when hitting a speed bump or pothole. In a 15 minute drive I got 4 events.

However, now I got the thing mounted to the windscreen and I noticed since then I haven't had a single event triggered and the roads around here aren't exactly smooth, though I do have a smooth air suspension Land Rover Discovery. I am aware the the windscreen is more "damped" than the dashboard, and the bracket mounting tape also soaks up some vibrations, but today I'm going to have to resort to flicking the camera with my finger to check if the G-Sensor trigger is still working!

If it does work I will probably put the sensitivity to "Normal" as I prefer a slightly sensitive G Sensor rather than one which doesn't trigger unless I hit a brick wall head on.

Just wondering if anyone found the Low sensitivity setting TOO low. :D

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I've always had mine on the lowest setting and even the small reflectors on the roads will cause mine to go in event mode on occasion.

Maybe:

Low sensitivity = Smooth SUV supension
Noraml sensitivity = Smooth air suspension
High sensitivity = Electromagnetic suspension / Airless Tires :eek:
tweel-airless-tire-2.jpg

Regular sedens and coupes are out of luck :lol:. To be fair, I'm driving a very firm Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86. Every single lane reflector I hit will change into the event mode. However, I get used to the overly sensitive G-sensor after a few days. Just turn down the voice and use the New Viewer, and then it's fine.

Eric SS said:
Hey MTZ, I have almost the exact same blurriness on the left side of my cam. I would rather live with it than pay to get a new one shipped I think. Like you, I wonder if it is just my windshield. I have it mounted in a 2013 BMW 335i if that makes a difference on the curvature or type of windshield. I have not done a test outside of the car yet but that will be my next step
If is really a big problem you can try to refocus the lens. Is not easy but not impossible. First you need to remove that glue. The refocusing needs just few degrees to be rotated because is very sensitive.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Eric SS said:
Hey MTZ, I have almost the exact same blurriness on the left side of my cam. I would rather live with it than pay to get a new one shipped I think. Like you, I wonder if it is just my windshield. I have it mounted in a 2013 BMW 335i if that makes a difference on the curvature or type of windshield. I have not done a test outside of the car yet but that will be my next step
If is really a big problem you can try to refocus the lens. Is not easy but not impossible. First you need to remove that glue. The refocusing needs just few degrees to be rotated because is very sensitive.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks. so the refocusing is just a matter of turning the lens? is it threaded?

Yes.

enjoy,
Mtz

I see from the operating specs that storage temperature should be between -10°C and +65°C . Have any of you had problems leaving the camera in the car when it was -15°C (5°F) or something?

Also, what's the cable length for the 12v power cable? What sort of connector is it?

Hello everybody.

My LB100 arrived today and have it running off my cig lighter which stays powered with the keys out. I plan to hard wire it at a later date.

Im using my smartphone to alter settings and intend to use the latest viewer to watch the movies as from what i read this joins the clips.
I've motion detection set to high and G shock set to low. As i was getting events while driving. Why event mode is still active during normal recording is baffling. surely it should be de-active until in parking mode. This would make sense to me.

I've not had much time to play around with the camera yet so a few questions if I may.

I have auto parking mode enabled. I return from a drive and park up. The camera will now record for 8 mintues and go into park mode, correct?
if so any recording from now on will be in either event or motion folders, correct?
I return after some time and the i start driving again, how does the camera know to go into normal recording mode and record constantly until i park up and the cycle starts again. Is it the constant motion and G shock feedback that changes the camera into normal mode?
When i park up can i press the record button for 3 secs to avoid the 8min recording and go straight into parking mode?

Thanks in advance for the help. Wezzzor.

The event mode was invented for accidents so you will have event files when driving because of the G-Sensor.

With other questions you are correct.

enjoy,
Mtz

Wezzzor said:
Hello everybody.

My LB100 arrived today and have it running off my cig lighter which stays powered with the keys out. I plan to hard wire it at a later date.

Im using my smartphone to alter settings and intend to use the latest viewer to watch the movies as from what i read this joins the clips.
I've motion detection set to high and G shock set to low. As i was getting events while driving. Why event mode is still active during normal recording is baffling. surely it should be de-active until in parking mode. This would make sense to me.

I've not had much time to play around with the camera yet so a few questions if I may.

I have auto parking mode enabled. I return from a drive and park up. The camera will now record for 8 mintues and go into park mode, correct?
if so any recording from now on will be in either event or motion folders, correct?
I return after some time and the i start driving again, how does the camera know to go into normal recording mode and record constantly until i park up and the cycle starts again. Is it the constant motion and G shock feedback that changes the camera into normal mode?
When i park up can i press the record button for 3 secs to avoid the 8min recording and go straight into parking mode?

Thanks in advance for the help. Wezzzor.

Can I ask did you get caught on any import duties in Ireland?

Thanks
W.

whowantstwoknow said:
Can I ask did you get caught on any import duties in Ireland?

Thanks
W.
I ordered one yesterday and it's already expected to be delivered on Monday to the US straight from Korea via FedEx. I have no idea how they do it, I got a quote from our company fedex account out of curiosity and the cheapest option would have been $89 in shipping cost.

I don't expect any duties or taxes, the US government is very pro trade and will let anything in at no extra cost :D

Compare that to, say, Canada, where customs will open a package containing a toothbrush and X-Ray and search it then slap you with a $20 import duty. USA! USA! USA!

IKEHERE said:
Hi there

First time on this forum. I bought a LB100 with GPS from lightnspace. The LB100 works but the GPS doesn't.

I opened it up to find that on one side of the unit there is a very small battery. I tested it with my multimeter and it showed a voltage of about 0.19v. I pulled the battery off the board using a fine blade and I can see the battery is a MS621FE, which according to my google searches to possibly a Seiko 5.5AH 3v battery. The battery is spot welded and does not seem to be an easy to replace item. My google searches also seem to show that the battery is rechargeable, so I tried charging it for about 2 days straight. The most the voltage got up to was 1.2v but it unexplainably dropped to 0.5v. Each time I tested the GPS unit, it did not work.

So it is quite possible the faulty GPS units are being shipped with dud batteries. :eek:

Now if only Kevin from lightnspace would return my emails...

First post here too, although I bought the LB100 off the back of the review by mtz!

I've got the same fault as you with the GPS though, it worked once - both lights flashing away happily, but subsequent startups give no GPS data, and only the solid green light for the power, not the flashing one.

I'm going to head up to maplins (uk electronics/hobby store) and see if they have any of the batteries in stock and try switching it out - I've opened the GPS module now and completely mullered one of the screws meaning that obviously the warranty is sitting on a cloud playing a harp, so I have nothing to lose by doing so!

Fingers crossed it fixes it! I'll report back if this works.

ETA: It seems these are difficult little gits to get hold of! Maplins haven't heard of them, RS Components don't list them, Farnell do list them (cheap too - £1.11ea), but they have a £20 minimum order value before they'll accept an order, eBay have them listed from the USA and Hong Kong, and the sole UK seller of them is on holiday until the 15th May. I'll just have to use it without the GPS until then I guess!

Further ETA: The battery is pretty simple to replace as they come as a unit with the tabs attached. Just heat the solder up on the board, pull the old one off and solder a new one on. :)

Wezzzor said:

The camera goes into normal mode if it detects G shock for 10 seconds.

PKNY said:
Maybe:

Low sensitivity = Smooth SUV supension
Noraml sensitivity = Smooth air suspension
High sensitivity = Electromagnetic suspension / Airless Tires :eek:

Regular sedens and coupes are out of luck :lol:. To be fair, I'm driving a very firm Scion FR-S/Toyota GT86. Every single lane reflector I hit will change into the event mode. However, I get used to the overly sensitive G-sensor after a few days. Just turn down the voice and use the New Viewer, and then it's fine.

Just an update about my G-Sensor sensitivity. The flick test (flicked the camera to trigger an event) worked. So G-sensor is working. I upped the G-sensor sensitivity to Normal and things are much better. I get an event triggered when hitting a larger pothole or speed bump at speed. No events on smaller potholes. So I'm happy now as I get events triggered with shocks that could be the result of a minor accident.

I also hard wired the camera to my auxiliary battery. Now to find the sweet spot for Motion Detection Sensitivity while in parking mode....

Maybe your car suspensions are softer than other cars. I think for a sport car even the lowest setting will create too many event files.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes the car is a Land Rover Discovery 3 on electronic air suspension, raised 20mm and on high profile tyres (265/70R17). All factors combined give a very soft, cushioned ride.

I think different sensitivity for normal and parking mode would be a good idea. I want ultra high sensitivity so even the slightest shock will trigger an event when parked, but while driving I want low sensitivity. In case of a minor bump which doesn't trigger an event, I can manually trigger it by pressing the red button (or even easier, just hitting the camera with my finger). Ahh well... wishful thinking. Maybe future cameras will have this feature.

nitehawk said:
Yes the car is a Land Rover Discovery 3 on electronic air suspension, raised 20mm and on high profile tyres (265/70R17). All factors combined give a very soft, cushioned ride.

I am at other end of the spectrum. :D I am driving a sprot car with low profile tires, and the seat is only 400mm off the ground. My car is picking up every bump on the road.

nitehawk said:
I think different sensitivity for normal and parking mode would be a good idea.

It is. No matter how you set the G-sensor sensitivity, the parking mode G-sensor is always set to high. I got this info from the Korean website (using google translate), and I also tested it myself.

Back