Hard Wired Dash Cam Turns off when car at a stop

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I have my headlight and AC on, my dashcam will turn off when the car comes to a stop all the time. Once I start driving, the dashcam turns back on. If I turn off the headlights or AC, the dashcam will always stay on. I checked my voltage with all the lights, radio and AC on and it was showing above between 12-12.5 volts(don't remember exactly). Then with just the car on and no lights or AC and I get 14 volts. The dashcam is hard wired. Could using multiple gauges and the dashcam being on a single ground cause this issue? That's the only thing I can think of to maybe cause this. Any thoughts?

What hardwire kit are you using? There are a lot of junk ones that are borderline underpowered amperage wise. Which power sources are you tapped into?

Got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VLAEPJ0
I wired it to the gauge which uses a 7.5 amp. I used a fuse tap and stuck the 7.5 amp and a 10 amp fuse onto it. I had it on the cigarette lighter (I have a rear dashcam cigarette lighter plugged into cig lighter.) and it did the same thing.

Ok CPUSB01 is high quality.

Also What if your alternator is going bad? (And or battery) That would follow driving vs coming to a stop.

I'm assuming the voltage showing 14 with the car on at a stop would mean it's good?

Could be some intermittent thing. I can send you another CPUSB01 to help troubleshoot with (rule things out) if you run out of ideas to try. What power source are you tapped into? (What does it share with)

What car is it? might be wise to look on car forums to see if anyone has knowledge about how certain fuses behave for that car?

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Looks like everybody uses the cigarette lighter fuse. I tried that but had the same outcome. I don't know if having another dashcam plugged into the cig lighter was causing it to shut off. So that's why I swapped it to somewhere else and has same outcome.

How do you have it grounded? I thought I could piggy back on the dome light ground, but then found the computer uses both wires to control the dome light.

If you didn't ground directly to the chassis, I suggest you do.

yep or it could just be a faulty cpusb01 with a faulty cutoff threshold.
how about when your car is idling when the cam turns off, when you rev it up to 3000rpm, will the cam turn on again?

I'll try grounding itself to the chasis. Also I'll try the revving engine up when car is at idle with cam turned off. Thanks for the inputs peeps.

Ok so I rerouted the ground by piggy backing into the cigarette lighters ground(many people use this and have no problems for my car). Same problem happens. I revved the car up when the cam dies at a stop. The camera turns back on when I get in between 2-3k rpms. I got the new hard wire kit, same issue.... plugged hardware kit into my rear dashcam and dashcam has the same symptoms(diff dashcam brand). So I know it isn't the dashcam since same symptom on a different dashcam. Can rule out hard wire kit since same symptoms on both unless I got very very unlucky which I very very doubt. So at this point I'm stumped....

yeah take voltage measurement at idle when cam has turned off at the connections closest to the cpusbo1 where you tapped into car wiring see what it reads.

Yea I have a multimeter. I don't use it often so I'm not 100% sure how to check to correctly. What do I set the multimeter to and where would I put the pointy things to test the voltage?

Back