Hardwire cable extension

ToxicMatt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking to install the A229 pro in my brothers car next, but I need to wire it to the fuse in the trunk/boot white I can also fit the battery pack, so need to extend the HK4 and wondered if either of these 2 would be suitable, the ones I’m finding in the UK are overall too thick and won’t be able to run them through the rubbers on the doors, if suitable I’m also thinking of changing the battery pack on my U1000 from the Ivolt mini to something larger as anything bigger won’t fit under the dash and no room under seats.

Thank you

You don't need to run the GND cable, you can pick that up from the chassis or an earth point near the HWK location.
The ACC cable takes no current, it is only used as a signal cable, so that can be as thin as you like.
The +BAT cable is the one that needs to be thick enough.

I think the hardwire kit will be happy with 10 volts, probably 9.5 volts, so it doesn't matter if you lose 16% voltage, which allows a quite thin cable if you don't mind wasting a little power. There are plenty of cable size calculators that will give you a recommendation.

Personally I would use some single/twin automotive cable, since it has rather better insulation than normal cables, designed to cope with vibration etc., and if it is lose anywhere, make sure you use some cable/zip ties to secure it and prevent vibration damage.

And make sure there is a suitable size fuse in the fuse tap to protect the cable, based on the cable current rating.

Back