Hardwire Dashcam Question

Raising Arizona

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

New to forum. I see when I do a search that there are lots of questions about hardwiring the dashcam. But, can't find the answer that I am seeking.

I recently purchase a Nextbase 622GW. A great dashcam, by the way. Methinks it is the best one out there, but that is digress.

I got a hardwire kit for the Nextbase rather than using some wiring accessories I already have as the Nextbase wants to have 4 volts coming in, not 12 volts. So need converter to reduce the voltage and the hardwire kit from Nextbase does this just fine.

Here is my dilemma. On my 2020 X5, all of the fuses in the passenger footwell of the car are continuously powered. Can't find any fuse location there that is switched to the ignition. There are few in the rear fuse block, but not relishing thought of routing a wire all the way back there. I called Nextbase support to see if there is a setting that would power off the camera if not motion was detected. There kind of sorta is, one disables (or maybe enables) parking mode and although the dashcam continues to draw power, if it drains the car's battery to 11 volts, it then shuts down. That is a not a great solution ... in fact, I think terrible solution. But that is me. Just wondering if anyone has run into this dilemma and what you did to resolve it.

Thanks,

Steve

If you don't need parking mode then all you need is the Nextbase 2 wire kit.

Your dilemma is finding a circuit that stays live when cranking the starter motor. They do exist but can be difficult to find.

Multimeter job.

Of course a good source maybe a X5 forum where other owners have already found a suitable fuse.

If you look in my post here, I have linked to the bmw instructions for fitting their camera. This has an instruction for a G05 X5 on it as well so I would say use the supplies they advise on that.

Back