Hardwire to fuse box under hood

randy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas lk-7900 Ace (2), Mobius C2
hello ppl of dct,
I bought a new vehicle (2016 Grand Cherokee Laredo) and it does not have an interior fuse box. I have a PMP kit....has anyone wired one straight to the engine fuse box? If so, where do you run your wires and how do you set it up?

Thank you for the response. However, that is a different model grand Cherokee....mine is a 2016 and I do not have the fuses or the storage bin he speaks of.

google led me astray, thought they mentioned a pull off panel near your feet....somewhere?

I did not see one and I believe I read there wasn't one....it seems in the link provided they are talking about other models...unless I'm missing something

even if you don't have the pocket they reference it could still have a fuse panel behind there, sometimes you need to drop the lower dash panel to get at fuse panels, very unusual these days not to have interior fuse panels of some sort in a car, not uncommon to have multiple fuse panels also

have a look at your under hood fuse panel, if it doesn't have fuses for things like the radio, cig plug etc then there will be another one somewhere else

should add the owners handbook should have some sort of maintenance section where they list the location of this stuff as well

Thank you for the response. I have looked at the manual provided to me and the one online. I don't see either of them mention an interior fuse box. In the event there is not one, does or can anybody wire their kit to the one under the hood?

you can wire to the under hood fuse panel, you will need to pass wires from interior to exterior, if that's not something you're comfortable with better to pay someone to do it and avoid any issues

The online version of the owners manual mentions the interior fusebox on page 716 and says it's on the driver side under the instrument panel. You could try to tie in at the engine fusebox, but running the wire safely through the firewall might be more difficult than just finding the interior fusebox.

KuoH

fuses only under the hood in your model, you'll either need to run wires to the engine compartment or tap into a harness on the inside, don't forget to fuse your wires separately if you do that, the fuses are there to protect your vehicle, not the accessory

okay thanks. How does one do either of those? I can wire it to the engine box but where do the cords go? I'm not sure what you mean by tap into a harness.

okay thanks. How does one do either of those? I can wire it to the engine box but where do the cords go? I'm not sure what you mean by tap into a harness.

you might be better to pay someone to do it, if going to the engine compartment you need to go through the firewall, best to do that where an existing loom goes through, you don't want to pinch a wire or damage a grommet and create a water leak, it's not difficult to do but if this is your first time to do something like this I'd look at paying the price of a professional install, a good car radio installer is best for this type of work, again if you're not sure how to tap into a harness best to get a pro to do it, it's a brand new car after all

Okay, I will likely take your advice. Thanks!!!

Back