Hardwired and Permanently ON dash cam? For collision and vandalism purposes.

FNG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a new/used car and I was looking into buying a cheap G1W dash cam for the ability to monitor for accidents. I'm not limited to a cheap G1W $50 dash cam but i don't want to spend much more than a few hundred. But then the thought occurred to me, the reason i sold my last car for another car is because there were multiple accidents (none of which were my fault) and one of them was while parked and unattended. Long story short i parked my ONE MONTH OLD vehicle at the bank, i walked out and noticed my vehicles entire side was crushed. Lady mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal and peeled out going backwards. My car was in the line of fire. =( OK enough rant and BACK TO THREAD TOPIC. I want to mount a cheap dash cam front and rear, hardwired and permanently switched on and recording continuously for both collision and vandalism purposes. Anyone do this?

I'm not sure the G1W is a good fit for 24/7 needs if you want true parking mode/motion detection. http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

The Panorama S International paired with the Battery Cut Off hard wire kit is high quality & popular. Each camera is around $200 but the Sony WDR exmor sensor(night vision) is really good.
Latest 1.12.06 firmware is outstanding:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...1-12-06-day-night-comparison.5396/#post-63863

Vicovation just added Parking Mode Support in the latest firmware for their Vico-WF1, but again you pay more for quality and reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I'll definitely look into your product. Any other opinions?

FNG, what did you end up buying? I'm looking for the same features & reasons you are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FKA04HY
this is what i bought recently. original unit was defective and had to send it back after 5 days only. on day 6 with my new one and it has worked perfectly.

a lot of users have a lot of negative opinions on blackvue but that could be from older models i am not sure. the biggest issue with this camera is the bitrate isnt that high, but it is good enough that in parking mode if someone hits you and they are infront or behind you, you will be able to read the plate. BUT it would also be easy for their car to be just at a perfect angle to be out of line of site.

if you want to avoid hit and runs or vandalism i would back into parking spots. the front camera has better picture.

my coworker has been very interested in a dash cam and i recommended the mobius to him based on word of mouth a few weeks ago, and then last week at his apartment parking lot, a car hit and ran him and left a big dent on his front fender.

99% sure the mobius has no g sensor but it can motion sense. another user would have to verify that for me tho.

When I first started researching DashCam's early 2013 I was excited about blackvue, the low blocky bit rate turned me off in the end. I was surprised when their newer updated models continued to have low bitrate.

When I first started researching DashCam's early 2013 I was excited about blackvue, the low blocky bit rate turned me off in the end. I was surprised when their newer updated models continued to have low bitrate.
havent the dr500gw models had firmware that raised the bitrate? i thought i read that and was hoping for the 550 to also get a boost.

part of the reason i went with the 550 was the actual physical design. i really like how compact it is for a feature packed cam. i personally do NOT EVER want a dash cam with a screen. i think it is a waste of cost and physical space to me.

i was planning on getting a mobius as a second front facing camera as where my blackvue is located the wipers dont reach it on my 2012 civic. my plan for my mobius is to only be used when i need it and would be mounted on the dash as opposed to on the window. i may just always have it plugged in but it will just be while driving as opposed to while parked. but we'll see, i drive so much so i have the time to test them out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M What Should I Buy? 0
S What Should I Buy? 1
Back